Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Cornuck »

Strangelove wrote:I'm sticking with my original Hansen + Sbisa proposal for "Kane on the cheap".

(my Sbisa + Dorsett suggestion was a tongue-in-cheek response to the latest Kane "update")

(at least Skyo got it) :)
As intriguing as the idea seems, I don't want to risk Hansen for guy that could be sent packing before he plays his first game in the Orca.

Maybe there's a conditional draft pick added in there somewhere.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BladesofSteel wrote:Offence, toughness, speed, size is all upgraded by your proposal, Doc. On paper, it's a no-brainer move.

But subtracting two popular players to add a degenerate?

Risky.
BladesofSteel wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Darren Dreger
Darren Dreger – Verified account ‏@DarrenDreger

Bill Day says, Kane will be directed to the NHL/NHLPA Behavioral Health professionals for evaluation and counseling, if deemed necessary.
10:48 AM - 22 Jul 2016
Would this be considered Stage 1? Or because it was reported, we're in Stage 2?
Every player that is suspended by the NHL for any reason (head-shot, steroids, wife-beating, whatever)

... is auto-referred to the NHL/NHLPA "Program for Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health".

Pretty sure Kane does not have what is commonly called a "substance-abuse problem" there BoS.

Also, Kane is by no means "a degenerate"... he's a professional athlete who does plenty of charity work.

Evander Kane is immature for his age and prone to unprofessional off-ice behavior, I'll give you that...
____
Try to focus on someday.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Thanks for the clarity on the "Program for Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health".

To date there have been no reports on substance-abuse, hopefully it stays that way.

Perhaps degenerate is a little harsh, but he has been trending towards this status, as oppose to the superstar status Buffalo had set him up to attain.

Here's hoping EK has hit rock bottom. Here's hoping the Jim is inquiring, but with extreme caution.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: I'm sure all of you who have held jobs have had the experience of working with asshole primadonna co-workers and probably were overjoyed and celebrated when they left or were fired. I'm sure the Jets lockeroom were all doing backflips when Kane was traded and the Sabre lockeroom would be pretty happy if he were removed. Do you think the Canuck players would be thrilled having him on board? No, I highly doubt it. Nobody likes an asshole co -worker, they do more bad to the team morale and unity than the good they bring in the field. The desire to have Kane here is just ignorant fans who don't value what goes on in the room, which some would argue is more important than what they bring on the ice.
Kane is great in "the room"... also sticks up for his teammates and is very coach-able.

Kane's problems have more to do with off-ice decision-making.
I'm not sure all the teammates and coaches EV has had, (Atlanta/Winnipeg, Buffalo), feel that way.
It's all pretty recent history, maybe too recent for anyone to say anything derogatory, yet.
Also; Players can be influenced negatively or positively during OFF-ICE activities as well as on-ice ones...
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya it's not substance abuse. Rypen was also referred to the same program several times. Remember all the hush hush mystery. It was obviously for his depression and suicidal ideation. It was never reported. Until his death.

Seems to me the only time it becomes public is if it is stage two substance abuse but not sure why, unless it's the stigma of mental health problems outside of substance abuse that is. Very surprised this has been made public too.

This could be an example of damage control through the media. Could be to soften the impact of the non criminal charges. Who knows but it is rare for something like this to be made public and yes I guess it could mean it's not his first time but I don't know that.

Whatever it means I hope for his sake there is some sincerity about wanting to deal with his off ice issues.

I think from a team perspective it means they have the right to suspend for non compliance? So there could be some contractual reasons.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Don't read too much into dregs

Dregs q - Would the league send Kane for counselling?

Bill a - If deemed necessary.

magically a story is created, just like unicorns.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: I'm sure all of you who have held jobs have had the experience of working with asshole primadonna co-workers and probably were overjoyed and celebrated when they left or were fired. I'm sure the Jets lockeroom were all doing backflips when Kane was traded and the Sabre lockeroom would be pretty happy if he were removed. Do you think the Canuck players would be thrilled having him on board? No, I highly doubt it. Nobody likes an asshole co -worker, they do more bad to the team morale and unity than the good they bring in the field. The desire to have Kane here is just ignorant fans who don't value what goes on in the room, which some would argue is more important than what they bring on the ice.
Kane is great in "the room"... also sticks up for his teammates and is very coach-able.

Not sure Doc, by all accounts he wasn't popular with his teammates in Winnipeg. As Torts once said when describing David Booth - "He's a Weird Dude". EK is a Weird Dude. Booth was harmless, flakey weird, Kane is...weird.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I'm not sure we want Virtanen taking advice from Kane when it comes to post-game activities. He can get in enough trouble on his own. Benning seems to place a lot of value on character, and there is certainly a few questions about Kane in that department. Maybe Gudbranson can take him out back a la Bieksa vs Fedorov and sort him out, but unless Kane's coming in at a bargain bin price I'm not terribly interested.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Kane is great in "the room"... also sticks up for his teammates and is very coach-able.

Not sure Doc, by all accounts he wasn't popular with his teammates in Winnipeg. As Torts once said when describing David Booth - "He's a Weird Dude". EK is a Weird Dude. Booth was harmless, flakey weird, Kane is...weird.
Yeah, you're creating your own twisted narrative again Dude. :roll:

Kane was out with a large group of teammates at that Buffalo bar on that fateful evening.

He gets along fine with teammates... when he wants to.

Although he had a huge problem with the group that came over from Chicago (to Atlanta) in 2010.

Mostly it was Big Buff... vs... Kane.

But those Chicago boys stick together so it quickly became:

Big Buff + Ladd + Eager + Sopel... vs... Kane.

The next summer Eager + Sopel were replaced by Wheeler who quickly joined Buff's evil gang.

It all culminated 5 years later with a silly excuse to wash Kane's dirty laundry in the shower

... followed by Buff, Ladd, and Wheeler washing dirty laundry in public

(those three were quick to tell the media all about the incident, taking potshots at Kane).

Like I say, Kane is guilty of immaturity, but Buffy is guilty of much worse:

Buff was referred to the "Program for Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health" over that drunken boating thang

(of course).

It speaks volumes to Kane's character/skill that Atlanta/Winnipeg refused to trade him for 5 years

... despite the just-under-the-surface friction in the room.

Yeah, it's fair to say he didn't get along with that core... but I really don't blame him.

He's not "weird"... he's just an immature kid who knows a big. fat. c-word. when he sees one. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Kane is great in "the room"... also sticks up for his teammates and is very coach-able.

I'm not sure all the teammates and coaches EV has had, (Atlanta/Winnipeg, Buffalo), feel that way.
It's all pretty recent history, maybe too recent for anyone to say anything derogatory, yet.
Also; Players can be influenced negatively or positively during OFF-ICE activities as well as on-ice ones...
Read my post above and remember Kane always stuck up for E V E R Y teammate on the ice.

Kane

Who's the black private dick
That's a sex machine to all the chicks?
(Kane!)
You're damn right.
Who is the man
That would risk his neck for his brother man?
(Kane!)
Can ya dig it?
Who's the cat that won't cop out
When there's danger all about.
(Kane!)
Right on.
You see this cat Kane is a bad mother...
(Shut your mouth!)
But I'm talkin' about Kane.
(Then we can dig it)
He's a complicated man
No one understands him but Strangelove
(Eastvander Kane)

dun dun dun, dun dun dun, dun dun dun dun...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Me too ;)

Who's the next player that needs analysis :?:
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Well, whatever regarding Kane, bottom line, he's high maintenance when not suited up to play, there are issues, it follows him around like white on rice, or should I say, brown on brown rice. Benning and Linden seem to value character, which may be a big part in why they had no problem trading McCann. The Optics on Kane is that he is a problem outside the rink and in the room with team mates.

All that being said, with what Murray gave up to get Kane, I highly doubt he is going to give up on him that easily for peanuts, as we all know, his stock is certainly low on the market right now. Asset management will most likely take precedence over character right now in Buffalo, hoping that Kanecan do what Chicago Kane did in Chicago this past season after his incident last summer. Question is, do the Sabre players have E.Kane's back the way the Chicago players had P. Kane's back? Maybe I've missed it but I do not see any Sabre players coming to E. Kane's rescue right now.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I'm in for bringing in Kane. The canucks have become so wimpy and soft with all this supposed character that a prick like Kane might make it uncomfortable enough where they start winning again...

Look back at past successful Canucks teams and there's one consistent factor...dooshbag types in the line up.

Who on this edition of the canucks has enough "Joie de dooshbag"?
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote:I'm in for bringing in Kane. The canucks have become so wimpy and soft with all this supposed character that a prick like Kane might make it uncomfortable enough where they start winning again...

Look back at past successful Canucks teams and there's one consistent factor...dooshbag types in the line up.

Gudbranson is considered an asshole with quality character. The two can go hand in hand, ya know. I keep hearing that Tryamkin has good character and can be a prick on the ice. Pedan apparently has good character as well and is a supreme prick on the ice. Wasn't it Pedan who went public about McCann's poor character issues, something about having "lone Superstar" attitude? Virtanen remains to be seen, I think his issue is not character but focus and laziness and dumbness mixed with assholeness on ice. Dorsett, character with asshole qualities. Ya don't need to be an asshole to be an asshole, look at Doc Strangelove, he is an asshole in life but a character on message boards, or is that vice versa? Apparently Stecher is a prick as well. Don't forget Cassels, if he can get his skating and strength up to par, in which most think he will.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:I'm in for bringing in Kane. The canucks have become so wimpy and soft with all this supposed character that a prick like Kane might make it uncomfortable enough where they start winning again...

Gudbranson is considered an asshole with quality character. The two can go hand in hand, ya know. I keep hearing that Tryamkin has good character and can be a prick on the ice. Pedan apparently has good character as well and is a supreme prick on the ice. Wasn't it Pedan who went public about McCann's poor character issues, something about having "lone Superstar" attitude? Virtanen remains to be seen, I think his issue is not character but focus and laziness and dumbness mixed with assholeness on ice. Dorsett, character with asshole qualities. Ya don't need to be an asshole to be an asshole, look at Doc Strangelove, he is an asshole in life but a character on message boards, or is that vice versa? Apparently Stecher is a prick as well. Don't forget Cassels, if he can get his skating and strength up to par, in which most think he will.
Ok fair enough about the guys you mention but all are on D except dorsett whos a smurf and cole cassels who hasnt played an nhl game yet.
Its a start but someone in the top 6 to stick up for the pillow crew is a must.
If you need air...call it in