Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:19 am I feel bad for Hansen, something happened in sanjose, I hope he lands a spot, he’s still got elite wheels and should easily help out a bottom 6 somewhere. Roussel takes his spot and I’d prefer roussel over Hansen due to his nastiness
Yeah.. not sure if it was the style of play or what.. he just didn't seem to fit in there.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

It's been washing over a couple of threads the last few days but count me as one who just doesnt understand the desire to bring Bieksa back. He's a retread. He's 37. He's missed 57 games (close to 20%) over the last four seasons - which isnt the worst but why add another fragile body to an already fragile d corps? Lets also not forget that turnover machine Bieksa well-earned the name "casual kev" and in the later years relied on his scowl & reputation as pugnacious rather than actually being pugnacious. I for one do not miss yelling "bieksa, you're brutal" at the tv umpteen times a game and have zero appetite to see him return. I'd much rather see Biega accomplish the same (or better) results because at least he isnt casual about it. The Bieksa notion is pure nostalgia as far as I'm conerned.
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:19 am I feel bad for Hansen, something happened in sanjose, I hope he lands a spot, he’s still got elite wheels and should easily help out a bottom 6 somewhere. Roussel takes his spot and I’d prefer roussel over Hansen due to his nastiness
Yup. If he doesnt get a contract beforehand, I wouldn't mind seeing the nucks give him a pto and sign him to a 1yr deal if a spot opens up due to one or more of the youngins falling short of expectations/projections in camp and preseason. Would also depend on any player movement later this summer to clear out the forward logjam. No scientific basis but I have a hunch that Hansen would bounce back in vancouver. Definitely not his hey-day-sedin-line point totals, he would slot bottom 6 and he can bring a lot more than scoring. He's still only 31 and theyd get him dirt cheap, not that it matters much at this point in time.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Rocky Dennis wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:57 am It's been washing over a couple of threads the last few days but count me as one who just doesnt understand the desire to bring Bieksa back. He's a retread. He's 37. He's missed 57 games (close to 20%) over the last four seasons - which isnt the worst but why add another fragile body to an already fragile d corps? Lets also not forget that turnover machine Bieksa well-earned the name "casual kev" and in the later years relied on his scowl & reputation as pugnacious rather than actually being pugnacious. I for one do not miss yelling "bieksa, you're brutal" at the tv umpteen times a game and have zero appetite to see him return. I'd much rather see Biega accomplish the same (or better) results because at least he isnt casual about it. The Bieksa notion is pure nostalgia as far as I'm conerned.
He would add character we desperately lack after saying Sayonara Sedins. Would happily bring him back on a 1-year deal, and since he's over 35 it could be incentives-based. He'd be no worse than Hutton or Stetcher on the turnovers, and at least he'd superman punch someone in the face once in a while.

Even clearing out one or three of Sutter, Gagner, Roussel, Beagle, Schaller, Granlund, Gaunce, Leipsic, Virtanen, Motte, Goldobbin and/or Boucher, I don't see any room for Hansen.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hansen considering retirement is not a terribly big surprise. He wasn't ever going to be at home anywhere other than Vancouver.
Vancouver would more than likely be the only destination that would keep him from retiring for one year.
After the World Cup of Hockey, there was an in depth interview with him and he was very much wanting to get highly involved
in the further development of the Danish hockey system.
So in essence, I kind of believe part of the reason he kept playing was so the Canucks could get a prospect for him.
Not that he didn't try in S.J., just didn't feel the same.
Every once in a while, you come across a player that just cannot make an impact or his presence felt on any team, save one.
"evolution"
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:34 am
He would add character we desperately lack after saying Sayonara Sedins. Would happily bring him back on a 1-year deal, and since he's over 35 it could be incentives-based. He'd be no worse than Hutton or Stetcher on the turnovers, and at least he'd superman punch someone in the face once in a while.
At the same time he would be no better. I'd rather see if you can get Hutton to reclaim his game and see if you can get a bit more out of stetcher in order to turn them into, at the very least, some sort of tradeable assets. By all accounts Roussell and Beagle have been brought in to provide leadership that was lost by the sedin retirement. The more of the old country club mentality we can get out of here the better as opposed to bringing back a prime offender.
Island Nucklehead wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:34 am Even clearing out one or three of Sutter, Gagner, Roussel, Beagle, Schaller, Granlund, Gaunce, Leipsic, Virtanen, Motte, Goldobbin and/or Boucher, I don't see any room for Hansen.
Yeah, look at that rockpile even without Hansen. Benning has some kind if job breaking it up before the season starts or they're going to need quite a large bus to travel the waiver wire. At this point i dont see gaunce, motte, goldy, or boucher starting the year in van. Personally rooting for Leipsic to stick myself. As for Hansen, again the hypothetical contract from a pto would be predicated on space opening up which, as you are pointing out, is a longshot at best.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:38 am
Yeah.. not sure if it was the style of play or what.. he just didn't seem to fit in there.
Reading Sharks forums, it seems most fans liked him and say the coach irrationally hated him FWIW.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:14 am Bieksa, Hamhuis and Hanson all contemplating retirement. None of the three have had any contract offers as of yet. I'd take one of Bieksa or Hamhuis on a one year deal IF we unload some D contracts, like 4 of them, for picks.
I'm a bit surpirsed Hammer and Hansen are not getting any offers. I can see Juice as he's getting a bit old. Hammer looked like he had a decent season. Not even 2 years ago, Hansen got us a pretty good prospect. You would think he still has the wheels and is a good checker. I wouldn't mind getting Hammer and Hansen back if they were cheap, but not sure we have the room for them now.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

I would take Bieksa for a single reason:

Better quality interviews.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

micky107 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:01 pm http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news ... nzol4hsgpv

Ray Emery; R.I P.
Damn, I really liked him from my time living in north bay and cheering for the Sens.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:20 pm
micky107 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:01 pm http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news ... nzol4hsgpv

Ray Emery; R.I P.
Damn, I really liked him from my time living in north bay and cheering for the Sens.
Is it racist to point out that he drowned?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Topper wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:48 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:20 pm

Ray Emery; R.I P.
Is it racist to point out that he drowned?
I didn’t want to say it, so I say no
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Does Philly need Nilsson for a 3rd now?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Ducks re-sign Henrique, which means Devils get their 3rd rounder next year as well.
Adam Henrique's five-year extension with Anaheim carries an AAV of $5.825M
There goes my master plan on trading with the Ducks, then swapping Henrique + Stecher for Pulock aha, as islanders need a top 6 center.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.