Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Meds »

Regardless of the reasons, if it's personal life stuff, family, whatever, why not simply retire and avoid the drama?

Likely because retirement means Winnipeg still owns his rights for the duration of the contract.

Going this route means he's free and clear to sign again in a year or something.....although at 36 that's pretty unlikely.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Corey Hirsch@CoreyHirsch
Dr. Theresa Tam, the chief public health officer of Canada, vaguely answered a reporter when asked the question of reopening sports in Canada. Said she would need to see a health plan, but did say mass gatherings of any kind are not in our near future. Soooo...🤷🏼‍♂️
9:41 AM · Apr 21, 2020·
Pierre LeBrun@PierreVLeBrunReplying to @CoreyHirsch
No question if the NHL comes back this summer it's without fans in the stands, that's basically a guarantee at this point
9:54 AM · Apr 21, 2020
Nothing new here, ^^^^, with the exception of the date.
Question:
How many people would be willing to pay 2 dollars / a toonie, to watch a game through whatever provider you use?
No pricey packages, no bullshit, just whatever game you wanted. Maybe even a loony.
I'm betting most would not. Dumb idea right?
The ads on live video productions for games are going to either have to be pricey or numerous.
"evolution"
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Mëds wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:54 pm Regardless of the reasons, if it's personal life stuff, family, whatever, why not simply retire and avoid the drama?

Likely because retirement means Winnipeg still owns his rights for the duration of the contract.

Going this route means he's free and clear to sign again in a year or something.....although at 36 that's pretty unlikely.
He has $66 million reasons to retire. I know we all love hockey here, and at one time, Buff loved it too. If he has decided that his health/ankle/family/beer is more important than the work required to play NHL hockey, I can hardly blame him.

(but, Buff, Meyers and Groot would make a hell of a big defense...)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
BingoTough
CC Veteran

Post by BingoTough »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:04 pm He has his ring, he has his money. Whatever else is going on in his life overrules any desire to be a pro athlete. All the power to him, walking away when he wants.
That's pretty consistent with what the guys on the Chiclets podcast said whenever this dispute came up. They think he's just as happy going off into the bush to hunt and fish.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

BingoTough wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:22 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:04 pm He has his ring, he has his money. Whatever else is going on in his life overrules any desire to be a pro athlete. All the power to him, walking away when he wants.
That's pretty consistent with what the guys on the Chiclets podcast said whenever this dispute came up. They think he's just as happy going off into the bush to hunt and fish.
If i had millions of dollars like big Buffy does i sure as fuck would retire at 35 to do whatever i wanted too.

The NHL lifestyle would be cool AF in your 20s but as you hit the mid 30s and the injuries pile up why would you put yourself through that if youve won everything there is to win already
If you need air...call it in
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:36 pm
If i had millions of dollars like big Buffy does i sure as fuck would retire at 35 to do whatever i wanted too.

The NHL lifestyle would be cool AF in your 20s but as you hit the mid 30s and the injuries pile up why would you put yourself through that if youve won everything there is to win already
You'd give up $14 million to start fishing a year earlier?

If his ankle was torched, he could LTIR and collect those paycheques for two years while fishing.

If he didn't want to play for another team, he'd have just retired.

Nope, this still doesn't fit.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Was there not a dispute as to how he got injured? Didn't the Jets claim he passed his exit physical and he injured himself in the off season and he was claiming it was hockey related? If I remember correctly, and I often don't, the dispute began as to how he was injured and they refused to pay him saying he failed to show up at camp. He got pissy and said it was hockey related, which it may have originally been, and then refused to cooperate with them.

This would explain why he would walk away. If he wasn't going to win his arbitration case then he may have just said fuck it. He will still collect his pension.
The only HW the Canucks need
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

ESQ wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:47 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:36 pm

You'd give up $14 million to start fishing a year earlier?

If his ankle was torched, he could LTIR and collect those paycheques for two years while fishing.

If he didn't want to play for another team, he'd have just retired.

Nope, this still doesn't fit.
If you’ve already earned 66 million, 14 million isn’t that big of a deal. 66 million (or half that after taxes) is more than enough if invested properly to take care of him and his kids for life. Not to mention he’ll still earn money doing something. Same argument will he made for Louie when he calls it quit this summer.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:23 pm
If you’ve already earned 66 million, 14 million isn’t that big of a deal. 66 million (or half that after taxes) is more than enough if invested properly to take care of him and his kids for life. Not to mention he’ll still earn money doing something. Same argument will he made for Louie when he calls it quit this summer.
Except after July 2, Loui is only owed $5 million over two years.
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:21 pm Was there not a dispute as to how he got injured? Didn't the Jets claim he passed his exit physical and he injured himself in the off season and he was claiming it was hockey related? If I remember correctly, and I often don't, the dispute began as to how he was injured and they refused to pay him saying he failed to show up at camp. He got pissy and said it was hockey related, which it may have originally been, and then refused to cooperate with them.

This would explain why he would walk away. If he wasn't going to win his arbitration case then he may have just said fuck it. He will still collect his pension.
I thought the report was Winnipeg didn't believe he was unable to play and doubted the severity of the injury, up until he had the surgery.

But all those reports are basically out the window based on Chevy's presser.

If he never wanted to play again, he wouldn't have grieved his suspension. But he did not want to play last season.

The only wild speculation I can come up with is he wanted to avoid some medical or drug testing that would be required if he pursued the grievance.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Esq, believe it or not, money isn't everything.

When you have it, and your lifestyle and family is secure (and that answer Is different for everyone) your entire outlook on life changes. Once your at the point when you decide you have enough money, EVERYTHING after that is just a number, and no number can change your opinion.

If Buff decided the way he wants to live and provide for his family is secure, no amount of money would change his thinking.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:46 am Esq, believe it or not, money isn't everything.

When you have it, and your lifestyle and family is secure (and that answer Is different for everyone) your entire outlook on life changes. Once your at the point when you decide you have enough money, EVERYTHING after that is just a number, and no number can change your opinion.

If Buff decided the way he wants to live and provide for his family is secure, no amount of money would change his thinking.
Exactly. Time becomes the real wealth once you realize that it isn't an infinite commodity. Some figure it out sooner than others especially when youre loaded. Maybe Buffy had an epiphany
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Chevy said Buff's ankle is completely healed now.

Said Buff has zero interest in rehab/getting into shape.

At this point in time Buff's love of hockey is dead.

He had zero chance of winning a grievance for this year's salary

... and zero interest in playing next season.

DONE.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:22 pm Chevy said Buff's ankle is completely healed now.

DONE.
Oh well...back to looking at the return of Napkin
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:22 pm Chevy said Buff's ankle is completely healed now.

DONE.
He gets to go out on his own terms. I admire that. Now, to convince Loui that his retirement is going out on his terms too. :D

But honestly, if you were sitting on the remains of $66 million, would you want to put your body through the grind of getting into NHL shape, at age 35! Heck, there are very few players who can play at 35 without having missed an entire year. One call to Gary Roberts asking what it takes to get back into NHL shape would probably be enough for Buff to decide to retire for good.

Still, if he's still "got it", I'd take a shot at 1 year, $4 million for Buff. Myers, Buff and Tree would make an awe-fully big defense. I know, wrong thread. SKYO's pipe dreams. lol. But, it would be pretty cool to see how a team would manage to play against those 3 big Dmen.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Push to Gomer’s links :thumbs:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”