Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by 5thhorseman »

theman wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:58 am Am I the only one who really doesn't like the Seattle Kraken uniforms? I find them very plain and uninteresting. Don't get all the hype on them.
It could be worse. They could've had a Kraken in the logo.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

It is worse.

Gio was named "Captain of the Sea"....

what a terrible headline.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:52 am It is worse.

The worst is we now have a trapping team in our division. Those games will be snorefests
If you need air...call it in
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:42 am

The worst is we now have a trapping team in our division. Those games will be snorefests
Yep, but you also have to add the Flames to that boring list. Daryl Sutter hockey is not that much fun to watch, and it'll be worse with the plodding defense they've put together.

The Ducks will also be a snore, mainly because they have zero talent. I'm glad we are playing the Eastern teams this year!
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

So much better watching games with fans in the stands. The Lightning still have 10 of their own drafted players in the lineup tonight, that's impressive.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Curmudgeon wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:56 pm So much better watching games with fans in the stands. The Lightning still have 10 of their own drafted players in the lineup tonight, that's impressive.
Just looking in on that game and it's incredible what a difference the grade A cameras make. The Lightning are a template for success.
"evolution"
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:04 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:42 am

Yep, but you also have to add the Flames to that boring list. Daryl Sutter hockey is not that much fun to watch, and it'll be worse with the plodding defense they've put together.

The Ducks will also be a snore, mainly because they have zero talent. I'm glad we are playing the Eastern teams this year!
I don't think their D is plodding. My big concern with their D is that they are relying a lot on some younger guys like Valimaki and Kylington. They both have a lot of potential, but they need to be sheltered a bit until they get more experience under their belts. Andersson and Hanafin are also fairly young but they have both been battle tested. I will agree that the Flames will be boring to watch as they will hit and check the shit out of their opponents and wear them down. It's going to be the only way they will have any chance to compete with the better teams in the league.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Just wait til you see Gudbranson milking 20+ minutes a night for you guys. You'll start cheering wildly when he bounces it off the glass and everything
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:13 pm Just wait til you see Gudbranson milking 20+ minutes a night for you guys. You'll start cheering wildly when he bounces it off the glass and everything
Cannonating the corner glass
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

BCExpat wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:07 pm I don't think their D is plodding. My big concern with their D is that they are relying a lot on some younger guys like Valimaki and Kylington. They both have a lot of potential, but they need to be sheltered a bit until they get more experience under their belts. Andersson and Hanafin are also fairly young but they have both been battle tested. I will agree that the Flames will be boring to watch as they will hit and check the shit out of their opponents and wear them down. It's going to be the only way they will have any chance to compete with the better teams in the league.
Perhaps plodding is a tad harsh - lumbering perhaps? :D

I just see a defense that features Zadorov, Gudbrandson & Stone. That's a few big, mean defensemen - but certainly not quick: not fleet of foot, nor quick on their outlet passes.

Probably best suited to have Micky as their coach, and pin everyone they encounter to the boards in their zone.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:15 am
BCExpat wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:07 pm I don't think their D is plodding. My big concern with their D is that they are relying a lot on some younger guys like Valimaki and Kylington. They both have a lot of potential, but they need to be sheltered a bit until they get more experience under their belts. Andersson and Hanafin are also fairly young but they have both been battle tested. I will agree that the Flames will be boring to watch as they will hit and check the shit out of their opponents and wear them down. It's going to be the only way they will have any chance to compete with the better teams in the league.

I just see a defense that features Zadorov, Gudbrandson & Stone. That's a few big, mean defensemen - but certainly not quick: not fleet of foot, nor quick on their outlet passes.

Probably best suited to have Micky as their coach, and pin everyone they encounter to the boards in their zone.
According to coach Ghomer, ‘the pin’ only works when the pinning team is on the PK.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Zadorov will be in the top 6 D for the flames, but not Gudbrandson and Stone (certainly not featured). The Flames D will consist of Tanev, Hanafin, Andersson, Valimaki, Kylington and Zadorov. Gudbrandson and Stone will be call ups in case of injuries. I'm not saying that the D is spectacular by any means, but if Valimaki and Kylington show signs of progress, it might just be a decent D.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

BCExpat wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:08 am

Zadorov will be in the top 6 D for the flames, but not Gudbrandson and Stone (certainly not featured). The Flames D will consist of Tanev, Hanafin, Andersson, Valimaki, Kylington and Zadorov. Gudbrandson and Stone will be call ups in case of injuries. I'm not saying that the D is spectacular by any means, but if Valimaki and Kylington show signs of progress, it might just be a decent D.
I like your optimism, but I have a feeling Coach Sutter will have Zadorov and Gudbrandson in the top 6 by week 2. And maybe even one of them in the top 4 by week 4. Tanev & Hanafin are a great shutdown pair, but beyond that, Kylington and Valimaki will have their ups/downs as they've both shown in the past few years, likely a step in the right direction (especially if the preseason Kylington shows up consistently). But old school coaches like Sutter love them their vets. Flaws and all.

I see it shaking down as:

Hanafin - Tanev
Zadorov - Andersson
Valamaki - Gudbrandson

Kylington.

Stone.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:38 am
BCExpat wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:08 am

I like your optimism, but I have a feeling Coach Sutter will have Zadorov and Gudbrandson in the top 6 by week 2. And maybe even one of them in the top 4 by week 4. Tanev & Hanafin are a great shutdown pair, but beyond that, Kylington and Valimaki will have their ups/downs as they've both shown in the past few years, likely a step in the right direction (especially if the preseason Kylington shows up consistently). But old school coaches like Sutter love them their vets. Flaws and all.

I see it shaking down as:

Hanafin - Tanev
Zadorov - Andersson
Valamaki - Gudbrandson

Kylington.

Stone.
You could be right. Kylington could be splitting duties with Gudbrandson. Not sure why they brought Gudbrandson in - he's gotta be one of the worst D men in the league. Also, they have Conner MacKey in the minors who looks like he'll be a decent NHLer eventually.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Gudbranson was probably brought in to wipe Tkachuk's bum.

Someone has to clean up all the shit that KTurtle starts. Sure as hell Johnny Hokey and Sean Mono won't be diving into the fray.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!