Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:47 am I have a major adjustment announcement:

Canucks should’ve extended Tanev.
Benning should have been allowed to make all the moves he wanted that summer. We wouldn’t be in this mess.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:06 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:47 am I have a major adjustment announcement:

Benning should have been allowed to make all the moves he wanted that summer. We wouldn’t be in this mess.
Interfering owners going back as far as Orca Bay and continuing with the Aquilini group has been a problem for ages. Sure they spend to the cap. As long as they have the say in who gets brought i and who doesn't.
"evolution"
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Ovechkins done extremely well in my absence I see.

A Cup and...

...goals aplenty.

3 more tonight - 748 overall.

18 passes Jagr so all things and health being equal, this year easy.

So 25 more this year (to be safe) equals 773.

Howe next year.

Be interesting to see if he makes it....

Pretty amazing story.

Didn't think 895 was possible tbh.
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yeah, Ovie is a living legend...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Scott Mellanby is out of a gig in Montreal. He resigned his position of AGM. Certainly an interesting name that could be at least worth interviewing
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Gorton would have been a good hire, prior to his time in NY he did a fine job as an interim for the Bruins before Chiarelli was hired and ultimately got most of the credit for building their 2011 team. Much like Gillis got too much credit after inheriting what Nonis/Burke brought in here.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/hi ... canadiens/
Gorton made his start in the NHL with the Boston Bruins when he was hired as a scout. He rose to assistant GM eight years later and then assumed the GM job on an interim basis after Mike O’Connell was fired in 2006.

It was then that Gorton presided over what many consider to be the most successful draft in Bruins history -- plucking out Phil Kessel, Milan Lucic and Brad Marchand and trading Andrew Raycroft for Tuukka Rask.

Before relinquishing his role to Peter Chiarelli and resuming his role as AGM in July of that year, he signed Marc Savard and Zdeno Chara as free agents.

After Gorton was dismissed as AGM in Boston in 2007, he was immediately hired as a pro scout by the Rangers. And on July 1, 2015, he took over from Glen Sather as general manager -- the role he served in admirably, especially in enacting the rebuild that has them well-positioned moving forward, until Dolan shocked the hockey world and fired him and Davidson last spring.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I’d have no problem with Jeff Gorton coming here. Mellanby is a guy that’s done a variety of jobs in Vancouver, St Louis and Montreal. He was supposed to ascend into the GM’s role in Montreal but it appears they have other plans.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Rumour has it Gorton is ascending to POHO in Habtown??

Ah...n/m...to quick on the draw....
DeLevering since 1999.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Mellanby would be a good hire, Gorton as POHO and Mellanby as GM, I could go for that, but chances are neither were/are on the Canucks radar. I'm preparing myself to be underwhelmed.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Curmudgeon wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:07 am Mellanby would be a good hire, Gorton as POHO and Mellanby as GM, I could go for that, but chances are neither were/are on the Canucks radar. I'm preparing myself to be underwhelmed.
Yeah some old relic like Tallon or Rutherford as a POHO and Elmer retains his job.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:11 am
Curmudgeon wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:07 am Mellanby would be a good hire, Gorton as POHO and Mellanby as GM, I could go for that, but chances are neither were/are on the Canucks radar. I'm preparing myself to be underwhelmed.
Yeah some old relic like Tallon or Rutherford as a POHO and Elmer retains his job.
Somehow it wouldn't surprise me if they went the opposite way too, like a Dubas-V2 type, with the rebranding of Benning and him being kept around for his veteran, sage advice and guidance. That's how ridiculous it's gotten with this ownership, and there's nowhere near enough pressure to change. The stands are full compared to most other markets and their swag is going to continue to fly off the shelves, especially with Christmas coming up, and they measure pressure by dollars and brand more than anything.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Bang:

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/hock ... mgmtchange
MONTREAL - Geoff Molson, Owner, President, and Chief Executive Officer of the Club de hockey Canadien, has announced that Marc Bergevin, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Trevor Timmins, Assistant General Manager, as well as Paul Wilson, Senior Vice President, Public Affairs and Communications, have been relieved of their respective functions, effective immediately.

A process to recruit, as soon as possible, the team's next General Manager is under way. While the next General Manager will bring significant hockey expertise to the organization, an additional criterion of that person's role will be to communicate with fans in both French and English.
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:06 am

The guy did like 16 flipping moves (something like that!) on day 1 of FA…and flipped at least 1/3 of the team over for 3 years straight.,

pretty sure he was doing what ever the hell he wanted.
pretty sure that’s why there is a decided lack of chemistry on the team as well.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Brendan Lemieux is in hot water after biting Brady Tkachuk. Somewhere Alex Burrows is proud. :)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:47 pm Brendan Lemieux is in hot water after biting Brady Tkachuk. Somewhere Alex Burrows is proud. :)
Re Burrows: Steve "The Biter" Yzerman once said he bit the finger of an opposition player which had been rudely shoved in his mouth.
____
Try to focus on someday.