Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You keep Draisaitl and trade RNH for a D-man or winger. Wouldn’t be a great haul, more of a hockey trade for need
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:35 am You keep Draisaitl and trade RNH for a D-man or winger. Wouldn’t be a great haul, more of a hockey trade for need
RNH may net Edmonton a good 2nd pairing defenceman, but they need more than that. But what am I saying??? Trade the girly-boy for belly-button lint if it keeps the Oilers’ tires spinning while McJesus plots his way out.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Maybe they should take a look at that amateur scouting. They never seem to find anything worth fuck all unless its a lottery pick...and sometimes not even that.
If you need air...call it in
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Tragically Hip for Kesler

Surgery. Will miss the entire season. Maybe the end of his career.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Pretty sure I remember Kes playing through his first hip problem way too long causing a bigger one.
I really liked Kesler. We need a young one of those for FS.
"evolution"
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:51 am If I were Holland I wouldn’t be looking to trade either of my top two centres. You build around that.
Again, I wasn't making a trade proposal involving the Canucks, but a fair return from the Canucks for McDavid absolutely involves Elias Pettersson going the other way. Wouldn't you rather have Draisatl and Pettersson and a whole lot more than McDavid and Draisatl and not much else? Quite possibly -- which is why the Canucks wouldn't jump on a "fair" package for McDavid. At any rate, its certainly a 1 2 that you can build off of.

And that's the problem with trading Draisatl if you are Holland. Draisatl is worth Pettersson, but not a ton more than Pettersson (top 10 player in the league for someone who projects to be a top 10 player in the league and has 2 more cheap cheap years). Trading Draisatl moves quality parts; trading McDavid get a depth of quality parts.

McDavid v. Draisatl is similar in many ways to Crosby v. Malkin. They are all really great players. But McDavid/Crosby is "generational" caliber -- there is no better hockey player in the world and one comes along like that every decade; Draisatl/Malkin are/were "franchise" caliber. McDavid/Crosby sells seats by himself (and jerseys jerseys jerseys); Draisatl/Malkin sells seats because franchise caliber players contribute to playoff competitiveness.

But the Oilers have a generational player and are not locks of anything close to a lock in terms of making the playoffs. And they are handcuffed by their salary cap situation -- all additions are going to take subtractions. But a seismic shake up can make them competitive next year.
Hono_rary Canadian
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ralph Krueger is the Sabres new year coach. Smart fella, could be a good hire
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Must be a smart fellow... if he could become the chairman of Southhampton in the Premier League with a completely unrelated sports background, then come back to coach hockey after a 5-year absence from the sport.

I hope he turns those Sabres around.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

UWSaint wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:05 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:51 am If I were Holland I wouldn’t be looking to trade either of my top two centres. You build around that.
Again, I wasn't making a trade proposal involving the Canucks, but a fair return from the Canucks for McDavid absolutely involves Elias Pettersson going the other way. Wouldn't you rather have Draisatl and Pettersson and a whole lot more than McDavid and Draisatl and not much else? Quite possibly -- which is why the Canucks wouldn't jump on a "fair" package for McDavid. At any rate, its certainly a 1 2 that you can build off of.

And that's the problem with trading Draisatl if you are Holland. Draisatl is worth Pettersson, but not a ton more than Pettersson (top 10 player in the league for someone who projects to be a top 10 player in the league and has 2 more cheap cheap years). Trading Draisatl moves quality parts; trading McDavid get a depth of quality parts.

McDavid v. Draisatl is similar in many ways to Crosby v. Malkin. They are all really great players. But McDavid/Crosby is "generational" caliber -- there is no better hockey player in the world and one comes along like that every decade; Draisatl/Malkin are/were "franchise" caliber. McDavid/Crosby sells seats by himself (and jerseys jerseys jerseys); Draisatl/Malkin sells seats because franchise caliber players contribute to playoff competitiveness.

But the Oilers have a generational player and are not locks of anything close to a lock in terms of making the playoffs. And they are handcuffed by their salary cap situation -- all additions are going to take subtractions. But a seismic shake up can make them competitive next year.
Problem with Draisaitl is that without McDavid he's merely RNH heavy. This past year the Kraut was getting nothing done without McDavid and many were saying how the Oilers needed him to carry more weight on his own. He never did. Sure he notched 50 goals, but he wouldn't have cracked 40 if not for McDavid.

Crosby and Malkin are a 1-2 punch that stands alone because they are both 100 point players without the other guy.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Pierre LeBrun:
Not confirmed but my understanding is that Ralph Krueger’s deal with Buffalo is for three years and worth ballpark of $11.5 million - $12 million total. So sounds like just under $4 million average per year
These Coaches and General Managers are getting paid more and more after Babcock got his dough.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

JD officially steps down in Columbus then signs with NYR as their new President.

This really may have been the last attempt for Columbus for awhile.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Carol Schram did an interesting piece on comparisons for Hutton’s next contract.

“Will Esa Lindell's $5.8 million cap hit impact RFA Ben Hutton's next deal?”

I put this here because I enjoy exploding heads.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:49 pm Carol Schram did an interesting piece on comparisons for Hutton’s next contract.

Esa Lindell is a lot better player than Ben Hutton. Not even close really. I wouldn’t give Hutton much over 3 million.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:49 pm Carol Schram did an interesting piece on comparisons for Hutton’s next contract.

Is that a rock group?

Just kidding. Ya, Wids for sure. that's damn frightening;
https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Carol-S ... /194/99539
:? That could not happen, could it? There's a window to trade him. Better do it.
Smiles to much anyways...yikes
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:04 pm I wouldn’t give Hutton much over 3 million.
Yeah, you'd make a great NHL general manager. :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.