Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Expansion

Post by BladesofSteel »

Hockey Widow wrote:
lostinarink wrote:Looks like both LV and QC have successfuly completed "phase 1" and have been invited to take part in "phase 2". I gather all phase will be complete by Sept 4.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 56907.html

15/16 looking more and more like the last of the 30 team universe. Too bad they were a year ealier in the process so that the 15 draft could have gone #1 & #2 to LV & QC. That would have totally pissed off the tankards in EdToBu. I would have loved that!

They are targeting a 17-18 season. Two years from now who can we expose?? Oh the thought of it. I bet a number of teams sign scabs just before the expansion draft just so they can expose them. Where are Ballard and Booth when you need them.
Good point, I wonder if injured players will be permitted to be exposed on expansion waivers, or are they exempt?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hockey Widow »

Interesting BoS.

It's been so long since we've had expansion I think Bettman will make it up as he goes along. I wonder if the cap recapture will apply if they pick up someone on a long night term deal and need to get to the floor. I wonder if NTC or NMC can be exposed.

We will need to protect Demko and Markstrom so maybe we need to sign an old vet. Oh wait Miller will be available.

There could be hope for us yet to lose a bad contract when all is said and done. With our luck though that would be the year we would have drafted 1st!!
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Patty Kane being investigated for rape charges....
Chicago Blackhawks superstar Patrick Kane is the subject of a police probe after an alleged bar incident involving another woman -- and there are reports it's a rape investigation.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2015/08/06/patrick-k ... z3i3J3Wfn7
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote:Patty Kane being investigated for rape charges....
Chicago Blackhawks superstar Patrick Kane is the subject of a police probe after an alleged bar incident involving another woman -- and there are reports it's a rape investigation.

I wonder if Chicago will terminate his contract. :lol:
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Expansion

Post by lostinarink »

BladesofSteel wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
lostinarink wrote:Looks like both LV and QC have successfuly completed "phase 1" and have been invited to take part in "phase 2". I gather all phase will be complete by Sept 4.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 56907.html

15/16 looking more and more like the last of the 30 team universe. Too bad they were a year ealier in the process so that the 15 draft could have gone #1 & #2 to LV & QC. That would have totally pissed off the tankards in EdToBu. I would have loved that!

They are targeting a 17-18 season. Two years from now who can we expose?? Oh the thought of it. I bet a number of teams sign scabs just before the expansion draft just so they can expose them. Where are Ballard and Booth when you need them.
Good point, I wonder if injured players will be permitted to be exposed on expansion waivers, or are they exempt?
Where is Lief Rohlin when you need him?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote: It's been so long since we've had expansion I think Bettman will make it up as he goes along. I wonder if the cap recapture will apply if they pick up someone on a long night term deal and need to get to the floor. I wonder if NTC or NMC can be exposed.

We will need to protect Demko and Markstrom so maybe we need to sign an old vet. Oh wait Miller will be available.
Well if it's anything like the last expansion draft, we would be fine. Only two players from each team would be allowed to be picked, and we'd be able to protect most of our better players. ELC's were not eligible last time around, so our youth movement (including Demko) should be fine.

Guys like Dorsett, Vey, Weber, Miller if he's still here... not a huge loss.

It would be interesting to see which vets around the league get left unprotected. Would LA protect Dustin Brown and his mammoth deal?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:Patty Kane being investigated for rape charges....

He should just marry the girl. She would be smart to propose. That way she gets 50%.

Oops my bad, not politically correct.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I wonder if she drives a cab.....
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Some teams will go to great lengths to get out from under cap hell. Look at the lengths LA went too with setting up Voynov and Richards. Now Chicago does this.

Well I guess if you can trade guys on LTIR or who are non retired, retired you can go the criminal route as well.

The rich just keep getting richer :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Silfverberg has agreed to a new contract with Anaheim which gives him 14 million over four years.

He had 39 points (13+26) in 81 games last season, but really stepped it up in the playoffs where he earned more ice time and had 18 points (4+14) in 16 games.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

NHLP files grievance against LA Kings for the termination of Richards contract.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/stor ... nixed-deal

No details provided. If the Kings lose it will be a major blow to their cap. They still have the Voynov situation to deal with at some point as well. Keep in mind, that in addition to suspending him pending the results of his criminal charges, they suspended him for getting injured in a non hockey related matter. Setting themselves up, if they win the Richards case, to terminate Voynov for material breach.

Working in Richards favour is the strict substance abuse program in place by the NHL and NHLPA. He has also not been charged in the matter. Rumours are circulating that his Oxy addiction is related to treatment received by LA team doctors in the treatment of several hockey related injuries he received while playing for the Kings. The pain killers allowed him to keep playing and helped with the Kings winning their first Cup. Other rumours suggest he was first given Oxy by Flyer team doctors and the LA doctors kept refilling the prescription. This could be a mess for the NHL if it is shown that team doctors first prescribed these drugs and then continued to do so even though the high addiction rate was well known.

Richards has yet to be charge in the matter but rumour has it that what he was caught with was a high volume of prescription Oxy.

In other news, Stoll signed a one year deal with the Rangers.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote: Working in Richards favour is the strict substance abuse program in place by the NHL and NHLPA. He has also not been charged in the matter. Rumours are circulating that his Oxy addiction is related to treatment received by LA team doctors in the treatment of several hockey related injuries he received while playing for the Kings. The pain killers allowed him to keep playing and helped with the Kings winning their first Cup. Other rumours suggest he was first given Oxy by Flyer team doctors and the LA doctors kept refilling the prescription. This could be a mess for the NHL if it is shown that team doctors first prescribed these drugs and then continued to do so even though the high addiction rate was well known.
I kind of figured this was coming. As it was collectively bargained, it means that drug-related offences would be considered differently than other material breaches under the SPC, and therfore he should be going into the leagues substance abuse program, where he'd continue to earn his salary while doing rehab/classes/treatment. Who knows if they're considered trafficking charges or things of that nature, but with all the info available right now it seems like more of an addiction issue than serious criminal behaviour (aside from the crossing an international border aspect).

It's definitely a greasy can of worms the Kings have openned here, and almost certainly woudln't be happening if Richards was playing up to his contract. I'm sure the NHLPA is doing this as much for future cases as it is for Richards himself.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Patrick Kane is a perfect example. He has yet to be suspended by the NHL of Hawks. Superstar gets the benefit of doubt.ya I know it's summer and he hasn't been charged with anything. But if he is charged will the NHL have the balls to suspend him I definetly as they did Voynov.and if they do, do the Hawks get cap relief as did LA.

One theory re Richards is that he failed to notify the Kings within 24 hours of the incident. Lombardi was in the process of trying to trade him and allegedly had a deal on the table. when he called Richards, or his agent, he was then told of this incident and Lombardi had to tell the other team and pull the deal. Apparently there is some type of clause about notifying a team about incidents but I haven't found it yet by reading the CBA.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote:Patrick Kane is a perfect example. He has yet to be suspended by the NHL of Hawks. Superstar gets the benefit of doubt.ya I know it's summer and he hasn't been charged with anything. But if he is charged will the NHL have the balls to suspend him I definetly as they did Voynov.and if they do, do the Hawks get cap relief as did LA.
If Kane is charged you can almost guarantee Kane will be suspended by the NHL. The Hawks would be screwed, because although they might get cap relief, who are hey going to target to replace him? Weiss? Erat? Cole? Ryder?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

For now all we know are reports of police are investigating an alleged sexual assault at Kane's residence.

We don't know anything of his involvement other than being a home owner.

Lets skip the speculation beyond that.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.