Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Curmudgeon »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:21 pm
Mëds wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:48 am Why do Canuck fans and writers keep speculating that Dumba could (or should) come here?
Maybe something like this...

Folks know that Brock is very close to his family and friends in Minny.

They figure it would be huge for the Wild to bring home a homegrown star.

The Wild are apparently looking to trade Dumba.

Canucks could use a top 4 RSD.

Throw in some people worried Boeser maybe not being worth the $7.5M qualifier due him in 2022

... and there you go?

I don't want to trade Boeser for Dumba.

Although if the Wild were to throw in a first as theman suggested, I'd be tempted.
That pretty much sums it up for me. I think Benning is sensitive to team chemistry and if it's true Pettersson spoke up about Toffoli and Hughes the same on Tanev, I'd bet both of those guys would take issue with Boeser being dealt. I'd prefer Boeser stays too but I also don't think there's a deal to be had offering Virtanen so the Canucks likely aren't a realistic trade partner for the Wild.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Minnesota Wild @mnwild
The #mnwild announced the team will not re-sign Mikko Koivu for the upcoming season.
Full statement from General Manager Bill Guerin
https://twitter.com/mnwild/status/1306971387136028672
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Micky wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:11 am
Minnesota Wild @mnwild
The #mnwild announced the team will not re-sign Mikko Koivu for the upcoming season.
Full statement from General Manager Bill Guerin
https://twitter.com/mnwild/status/1306971387136028672
Did he play against Vancouver? I cant remember him dressing....maybe thats why they're flushing their captain
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

McCann re-signs. $2.94M AAV x 2
The Penguins have re-signed forward Jared McCann to a two-year contract.

The deal runs through the 2021.22 campaign and carries an average annual value of $2.94 million.

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/pengu ... t-penguins
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

SKYO wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:32 pm McCann re-signs. $2.94M AAV x 2
The Penguins have re-signed forward Jared McCann to a two-year contract.

The deal runs through the 2021.22 campaign and carries an average annual value of $2.94 million.

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/pengu ... t-penguins
14 goals, 35 points in 66 games this past season. Is that $ amount what JV is looking for? Are the Canucks willing to pay JV almost 3mil a season?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

theman wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:48 pm Are the Canucks willing to pay JV almost 3mil a season?
I would say no and thats why Benning has been getting the fans ready to lose a "young RFA"
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

As much as we harp on Jake (and it's mostly deserved), he is trending up each year. His playoff stats should help bring his salary down a bit, but I think Benning should be able to hang on to him - IF he wants. We all know his faults, but at some point he could pull his head out of his and start taking work seriously.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Ok apparently Petro has been advised by the blews to pursue free agency.

This is one of those rare opportunities that can transform a team like Van into a powerhouse.

Benning needs to make a legitimate offer on the guy even if it means letting Marky and possibly Tanev walk to make it happen
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

What a colossal fuckup by the Blues. There was no reason to make the trade for Faulk in the first place. And no reason to sign Faulk to that terrible contract. Should have re-upped the captain during the past season and dangled Parayko for futures help if they needed to clear salary.

Brown Lizzy we do not have the 9 million cap space to enter this dance party. It’s a pipe dream.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:11 pm What a colossal fuckup by the Blues. There was no reason to make the trade for Faulk in the first place. And no reason to sign Faulk to that terrible contract. Should have re-upped the captain during the past season and dangled Parayko for futures help if they needed to clear salary.

Brown Lizzy we do not have the 9 million cap space to enter this dance party. It’s a pipe dream.
You make the room for an AP level asset.

Petro>Tanev-Toffoli-Markstrom

Get er done Jimmah
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:36 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:11 pm What a colossal fuckup by the Blues. There was no reason to make the trade for Faulk in the first place. And no reason to sign Faulk to that terrible contract. Should have re-upped the captain during the past season and dangled Parayko for futures help if they needed to clear salary.

Get er done Jimmah
So you’re walking on all three UFA to sign AP? So you’re down a top 6 winger, a top 10 goalie and a top 4 RH D for one 30 year old guy. Depth matter man... and I’m a big fan of this player. The big stumbling block to Pietrangelo is Tyler Myers. You don’t want to be paying 25 million to three D long term....Hughes- 10, Petro 9, Myers 6. Add in 10 for Petey, 7.5 to Boeser and then you have to think long term about Horvat/Miller. Not to mention Thatcher if he’s any good will want to get paid.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:02 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:36 pm

Get er done Jimmah
So you’re walking on all three UFA to sign AP? So you’re down a top 6 winger, a top 10 goalie and a top 4 RH D for one 30 year old guy. Depth matter man... and I’m a big fan of this player. The big stumbling block to Pietrangelo is Tyler Myers. You don’t want to be paying 25 million to three D long term....Hughes- 10, Petro 9, Myers 6. Add in 10 for Petey, 7.5 to Boeser and then you have to think long term about Horvat/Miller. Not to mention Thatcher if he’s any good will want to get paid.
I dunno Doyle but this opportunity never happens. Bold moves sometimes turn out.

Personally i would let Marky and Toffy walk then fill those rolls affordably to add a difference maker like AP
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I’m a big fan of Pietrangelo. I wouldn’t complain if Elmer signed him but I’d be concerned about the salary cap moving forward. He’s a game changer no doubt about it.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Is there a team in the NHL who can afford Pietrangelo’s next contract? Doyle is gay.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Alex wants the money and a chance to win again, the Canucks can offer him that, once they go italian mafia style on eriksson to move him out somehow.

Just gotta learn from the Scott Niedermayer situation from 2005:
"I just felt I wanted to have new challenges in life," Niedermayer said. "Do different things, try different things."

"I've been in New Jersey for a long time - a lot of memories - and to make a decision like this is difficult to do," he said.

"We have tremendous respect for him," Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "We did have a conversation last night when he told me of his decision and I'm sure you can all imagine it was a difficult conversation for all parties.
And burke got his bro Rob in anaheim prior, does alex have a bro/cuzzin to sign? ha
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.