Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hockey Widow »

Interesting
The only HW the Canucks need
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

The Golden Brett with an interesting take on the Leipsic situation. Hats off to the Hull, Lipstick is pretty much thrown under the bus. No holier than though thou attitude coming from a hall of famer and one of the all time best snipers.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/bre ... gICZw6r9Lg
We did the same things, we said the same things, but there was no way to get caught,

We can go out after games, we can go to strip clubs, we can go to bars, and we could do whatever we wanted, and it would all be hearsay. Well there's no hearsay anymore, it's on an Iphone.

The fun is gone

The game is not fun anymore to me.

There's no more fun for the players anymore.... The only way they become teammates is to play Xbox,
He did seem to be having fun when St. Louis won the cup. :D
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:51 pm The Golden Brett with an interesting take on the Leipsic situation. Hats off to the Hull, Lipstick is pretty much thrown under the bus. No holier than though thou attitude coming from a hall of famer and one of the all time best snipers.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/bre ... gICZw6r9Lg
We did the same things, we said the same things, but there was no way to get caught,

We can go out after games, we can go to strip clubs, we can go to bars, and we could do whatever we wanted, and it would all be hearsay. Well there's no hearsay anymore, it's on an Iphone.

The fun is gone

The game is not fun anymore to me.

There's no more fun for the players anymore.... The only way they become teammates is to play Xbox,
I'm sure Mr Lipstick is thrilled that the son of THIS GUY sprung to his defense:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html
BOBBY HULL TO MOSCOW PAPER: HITLER HAD SOME GOOD IDEAS

Former NHL star Bobby Hull told a Russian newspaper that Nazis were not without merit, that the black population of the United States was growing too fast and that genetic breeding was a worthy idea.

"Hitler, for example, had some good ideas. He just went a little bit too far," the Hall of Fame player told the English-language Moscow Times.

The former Chicago Blackhawks and Winnipeg Jets star also said the Canadian government was too left-wing and was giving welfare payments to people who don't deserve them, the Moscow Times reported Tuesday.

Asked if it would be fair to describe him as a racist, Hull reportedly replied: "I don't give a damn. I'm not running for any political office."

Daddy drove Brett to drink. Here's Brett from last year:

"Having fun" indeed! :scowl:

But yes, the old ways were better...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Strangelove wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:44 pm Image

But yes, the old ways were better...
Yup, we're fucked these days. :P
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

https://www.tsn.ca/expect-the-toronto-m ... -1.1475747
Expect the leaves to hunt for more LTIR contracts

It’s almost time for Toronto Maple leaves salary cap wizard Brandon Pridham to work his magic again.

Every penny will count for the leaves, who will be feeling the cap crunch this off-season with hockey’s loss of revenue from the COVID-19 pandemic likely to keep the cap flat at $81.5 million.

Yes, the contracts of and will come off the books. But the leaves are also losing two critical pieces of their salary cap puzzle in Nathan Horton and David Clarkson.

A big reason why the Maple leaves were able to remain cap compliant was the long-term injury flexibility provided by Horton’s ($5.3 million) and Clarkson’s ($5.25 million) cap hits.

Now, with Horton and Clarkson mercifully sliding into the sunset, the leaves will likely be on the hunt for replacement LTIR contracts to enjoy the same cap benefits.

Here are five potential candidates whose contracts the Maple leaves could acquire this off-season:

1. RYAN KESLER
(etc)
Seriously, what.... THE FUCK!! :shock:

OMG TSN's Frank Seravalli is a gomer lol...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Strangelove wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:20 pm https://www.tsn.ca/expect-the-toronto-m ... -1.1475747
Expect the Leaves to hunt for more LTIR contracts

It’s almost time for Toronto Maple Leaves salary cap wizard Brandon Pridham to work his magic again.

Every penny will count for the Leaves, who will be feeling the cap crunch this off-season with hockey’s loss of revenue from the COVID-19 pandemic likely to keep the cap flat at $81.5 million.

Yes, the contracts of and will come off the books. But the Leaves are also losing two critical pieces of their salary cap puzzle in Nathan Horton and David Clarkson.

A big reason why the Maple Leaves were able to remain cap compliant was the long-term injury flexibility provided by Horton’s ($5.3 million) and Clarkson’s ($5.25 million) cap hits.

Now, with Horton and Clarkson mercifully sliding into the sunset, the Leaves will likely be on the hunt for replacement LTIR contracts to enjoy the same cap benefits.

Here are five potential candidates whose contracts the Maple Leaves could acquire this off-season:

1. RYAN KESLER
(etc)
Seriously, what.... THE FUCK!! :shock:

OMG TSN's Frank Seravalli is a gomer lol...
He just has to stop reading "How to figure out NHL Cap Space For Dummies"
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

I can't recall but didn't they pick these up as a means of getting assets and/or getting rid of poor assets by way offering teams salary relief? The leaves were happy to eat the $$$ as a means to get their way out of troubles?

As I said can't remember. It does mean they could do it again, but the stated rationale doesn't make sense if my memory is correct.

If not, could somebody spell it out for this dummy? I can't remember / am too lazy to look it up.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BingoTough wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:14 pm I can't recall but didn't they pick these up as a means of getting assets and/or getting rid of poor assets by way offering teams salary relief? The leaves were happy to eat the $$$ as a means to get their way out of troubles?

As I said can't remember. It does mean they could do it again, but the stated rationale doesn't make sense if my memory is correct.

If not, could somebody spell it out for this dummy? I can't remember / am too lazy to look it up.
The only reason Leaves picked up the $5M+ Clarkson contract last summer was because they were already into LTIR with Horton's $5M+

... and they had an unsigned offersheet-eligible holdout-candidate RFA looking for $10M+ (Marner).

This helped them cover their vulnerable ass in an unusual situation, albeit with the usual problems perma-LTIR contracts bring.

(kills cap flexibility/deadline space, brings cap probs with more injuries, performance bonuses tacked onto next season's cap, etc)

Next season, the last thing the Leaves want is an LTIR cuz zero benefits and all of those negatives.

Seravalli just revealed himself as a gomer who doesn't understand the salary cap nor LTIR.

He thinks LTIR is some kind of loophole for rich teams to circumvent the cap. :crazy:

Did he never notice it's almost always just the opposite: Perma-LTIR tend to get traded to POOR teams.

Frank Seravall is fucked up...

And btw the Leaves traded HEALTHY Clarkson for the Horton contract 5 years ago because:

Clarkson was HORRIBLE and earning $5M+ for another 5 years.

Horton was on perma-LTIR with 5 years left on his $5M+ contract.

Horton's contract was not covered by insurance, so of course the beggarly Jackets were desperate to dump it.

So desperate that they were willing to take horrid Clarkson, cuz hey if you're gonna pay $5M you're better off with a warm body.

(and who knows, maybe he could turn things around a bit with a fresh start?)

As you know washed-up overpaid players tend to go on LTIR eventually, and unlike Horton, Clarkson's contract was insured.

This no doubt comforted the traumatized Jackets.

This is another rare situation where a rich team like the Leaves might be better off with an LTIR contract.

(although I personally thought it was a bad move for the Leaves, I mean it's not like they were a contender)

(or even a playoff team team lol)

(so who cares if you're carrying a guy in Clarkson who is earning 10Xs his worth)

(just wait until you're a playoff team and then trade Clarkson + 1st for 7th or whatever)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef i see your old buddy Gillis has his name linked to the NJD gm or president gig...theyre calling him "The Macro Guy" 8-)

I personally hope to see him back. I've never seen a face look so unhealthy like that and i find it fascinating how it'll all unfold next....
Tom Fitzgerald, whose transaction history since taking over as GM for Ray Shero in January is laudable, deserves strong consideration for the permanent gig. Former Canucks GM Mike Gillis has reportedly also been interviewed, and there doesn't seem to be a big rush from ownership to finalize anything. Perhaps something can be worked out where Gillis, the macro guy, assumes the role of president of hockey operations while Fitzgerald, the nuts-and-bolts guy, continues as GM.
-borrowed from The Score app
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:38 am Chef i see your old buddy Gillis has his name linked to the NJD gm or president gig...theyre calling him "The Macro Guy" 8-)

I personally hope to see him back. I've never seen a face look so unhealthy like that and i find it fascinating how it'll all unfold next....
Tom Fitzgerald, whose transaction history since taking over as GM for Ray Shero in January is laudable, deserves strong consideration for the permanent gig. Former Canucks GM Mike Gillis has reportedly also been interviewed, and there doesn't seem to be a big rush from ownership to finalize anything. Perhaps something can be worked out where Gillis, the macro guy, assumes the role of president of hockey operations while Fitzgerald, the nuts-and-bolts guy, continues as GM.
Gillis the macro guy - :lol:
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:39 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:38 am Chef i see your old buddy Gillis has his name linked to the NJD gm or president gig...theyre calling him "The Macro Guy" 8-)

When you got skullet tossed, did he do it with two hands? One hand on the skullet and one hand on the crotch of your tights? Or did he just grab your strands with one hand and launch you out of the shower?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:44 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:39 am

When you got skullet tossed, did he do it with two hands? One hand on the skullet and one hand on the crotch of your tights? Or did he just grab your strands with one hand and launch you out of the shower?
Vincenzo Skully! How’s it going?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I feel like ten pounds of shit in a five pound bag this morning
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Speaking of a player that Canuck fans often bring up...

Wild defenseman Matt Dumba on executive committee of newly formed Hockey Diversity Alliance
Two other former Wild players are also on the executive committee.

By Ryan Quigley@TheRyanQuigley Jun 8, 2020, 1:00pm CDT

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2020/6 ... y-alliance
Monday, several minority NHL players announced the formation of the Hockey Diversity Alliance. The coalition is aiming to permanently eliminate racism from hockey culture and “promote diversity at all levels of the game through community outreach and engagement with youth and will endeavor to make the game more affordable and accessible.”
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

y-Vegas Golden Knights@GoldenKnights
✍️ Ryan Reaves has signed a two-year extension with the Golden Knights!!! #VegasBorn
The two-year deal is worth an AAV of 1.7five million 👌
VGK Sign Forward Ryan Reaves To Two-Year Contract Extension
VEGAS (June 15, 2020) - Vegas Golden Knights General Manager Kelly McCrimmon announced today.
nhl.com
1:40 PM · Jun 15, 2020·
was making 2.75
"evolution"