Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:48 pm
BTW alotta in the know folk are saying Buffy has no intention of ever resuming his career...
That doesn't make sense - what reason could Byfuglien have to drop his grievance AND terminate his contract, unless he was going to go for a new contract?

If he wants to retire, he doesn't file a grievance and just stays suspended by the team.

Or he pushes the grievance, wins the LTIR status, and gets the $14 million owed to him.

If he was worried about the team's cap situation, he'd have just retired and solved the problem for them.

No, sadly Buff is coming back.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:17 pm
Strangelove wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:48 pm
BTW alotta in the know folk are saying Buffy has no intention of ever resuming his career...
That doesn't make sense - what reason could Byfuglien have to drop his grievance AND terminate his contract, unless he was going to go for a new contract?

If he wants to retire, he doesn't file a grievance and just stays suspended by the team.

Or he pushes the grievance, wins the LTIR status, and gets the $14 million owed to him.

If he was worried about the team's cap situation, he'd have just retired and solved the problem for them.

No, sadly Buff is coming back.
Yeahno, he's done like dinner.

Obviously he had no hope of winning that grievance.

Buff is gone forever.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

https://twitter.com/friesensunmedia/sta ... 9144430594
Paul Friesen
@friesensunmedia

Cheveldayoff: In January, when Byfuglien was to resume skating, his agent told the #NHLJets he would not continue his rehab and did not want to play hockey.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ver ... ver-plays/

"I would be shocked if he ever plays hockey again." - Close friend + former teammate, Kris Versteeg
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hopefully Loui and your Vancouver Canucks follow suit RE: Mutual Termination. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Amen to Loui quitting..

the problem is Buffy always fought beer crushing and weight during the summer. He doesn't want to put the work in to keep getting paid.

Fishing and crushing Beers =1
Working out for paycheque = 0

Loui is still willing to stay in shape for 3 million (or whatever we still owe him).. I would love tot see a mutual termination from Loui, but I think its a trade or buyout situation.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:06 am the problem is Buffy always fought beer crushing and weight during the summer. He doesn't want to put the work in to keep getting paid.

Y'know, "team players" keep fit.

I wonder if someone threw Buff's track suit in the shower. :sly:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:12 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:06 am the problem is Buffy always fought beer crushing and weight during the summer. He doesn't want to put the work in to keep getting paid.

Y'know, "team players" keep fit.

I wonder if someone threw Buff's track suit in the shower. :sly:
lol
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Apparently there is more to the butfugglyien saga. It appears theres a family issue, be it health or otherwise which is driving his decision on all this
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

He has his ring, he has his money. Whatever else is going on in his life overrules any desire to be a pro athlete. All the power to him, walking away when he wants.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The guy’s ankle is torched. He didn’t even attempt rehab last year. He’s done.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Regardless of the reasons, if it's personal life stuff, family, whatever, why not simply retire and avoid the drama?

Likely because retirement means Winnipeg still owns his rights for the duration of the contract.

Going this route means he's free and clear to sign again in a year or something.....although at 36 that's pretty unlikely.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Corey Hirsch@CoreyHirsch
Dr. Theresa Tam, the chief public health officer of Canada, vaguely answered a reporter when asked the question of reopening sports in Canada. Said she would need to see a health plan, but did say mass gatherings of any kind are not in our near future. Soooo...🤷🏼‍♂️
9:41 AM · Apr 21, 2020·
Pierre LeBrun@PierreVLeBrunReplying to @CoreyHirsch
No question if the NHL comes back this summer it's without fans in the stands, that's basically a guarantee at this point
9:54 AM · Apr 21, 2020
Nothing new here, ^^^^, with the exception of the date.
Question:
How many people would be willing to pay 2 dollars / a toonie, to watch a game through whatever provider you use?
No pricey packages, no bullshit, just whatever game you wanted. Maybe even a loony.
I'm betting most would not. Dumb idea right?
The ads on live video productions for games are going to either have to be pricey or numerous.
"evolution"
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Mëds wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:54 pm Regardless of the reasons, if it's personal life stuff, family, whatever, why not simply retire and avoid the drama?

Likely because retirement means Winnipeg still owns his rights for the duration of the contract.

Going this route means he's free and clear to sign again in a year or something.....although at 36 that's pretty unlikely.
He has $66 million reasons to retire. I know we all love hockey here, and at one time, Buff loved it too. If he has decided that his health/ankle/family/beer is more important than the work required to play NHL hockey, I can hardly blame him.

(but, Buff, Meyers and Groot would make a hell of a big defense...)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:04 pm He has his ring, he has his money. Whatever else is going on in his life overrules any desire to be a pro athlete. All the power to him, walking away when he wants.
That's pretty consistent with what the guys on the Chiclets podcast said whenever this dispute came up. They think he's just as happy going off into the bush to hunt and fish.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

BingoTough wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:22 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:04 pm He has his ring, he has his money. Whatever else is going on in his life overrules any desire to be a pro athlete. All the power to him, walking away when he wants.
That's pretty consistent with what the guys on the Chiclets podcast said whenever this dispute came up. They think he's just as happy going off into the bush to hunt and fish.
If i had millions of dollars like big Buffy does i sure as fuck would retire at 35 to do whatever i wanted too.

The NHL lifestyle would be cool AF in your 20s but as you hit the mid 30s and the injuries pile up why would you put yourself through that if youve won everything there is to win already
If you need air...call it in