Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Pay them enough and they'll come here, it's not Edmonton or Winnipeg.

A guy like Lucic, already with his name on the cup, local boy, wouldn't turn down $7.5M to come to BC. The problem is he's not the kind of guy you build around. But I am warming up to the idea. If we're going to lose, I'd rather lose like a Winnipeg, big, scrappy, gritty, than lose soft and weak.
There is a huge risk giving a massive contract to an aging power forward like Lucic. Those types of players tend to fade faster than your Sedins.
Yep, which is why I'm torn. At this point, he could make life harder on opponents and might make games worth watching. Even if we lose you never know if/when Milan goes nuts. I don't expect him to last into his mid-30's, but I can definitely see the Canucks offering him 6 years and big money. That would take him to 34. Again, not super-keen and I'm pretty sure we'll hate the contract, but having a tougher team would make looking at the standings less depressing.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I'd rather not lose than lose with .. 'honour' (?) .. and signing the hunchback to a long term contract that makes him a marquee player on the team is not a great way to avoid losing regularly.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

ESPN NHL coverage ‏@ESPN_NHL
Coyotes fire GM Don Maloney after 9 seasons http://es.pn/1TMvDdD

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
ARI will go outside to hire a new GM, some candidates in mind but decision still weeks away. Tippett likely involved in process.
If the Coyotes hire MG who I believe is still paid by the Canucks, will they get another 2nd round pick? :mrgreen:
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Jovocop wrote:

ARI will go outside to hire a new GM, some candidates in mind but decision still weeks away. Tippett likely involved in process.
If the Coyotes hire MG who I believe is still paid by the Canucks, will they get another 2nd round pick? :mrgreen:
That would be rich.

They'll have to be quick about it with a top-10 pick likely in this draft. Can't say Maloney did a horrible job considering the circumstances but them's the breaks, I guess.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Jovocop wrote:

No. Didn't the league change this back after one year.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hiller told by Flames that they won't be offering him a new contract. They may even release him early. Rumour is they will go after Reimer in the off season.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ed Snider, 83, died today from complications related to his battle with cancer. RIP.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:Hiller told by Flames that they won't be offering him a new contract. They may even release him early. Rumour is they will go after Reimer in the off season.
Calgary's defence is better than Toronto's, but still. That guy is not going to make them appreciably better. Hope they sign him! :)
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:Hiller told by Flames that they won't be offering him a new contract. They may even release him early. Rumour is they will go after Reimer in the off season.
Yeah well that's only because it makes too much sense.

The Burke connection... and is there a team in the league more desperate than Calgary for a #1-ish tender?

I think the Flames can make room (barely) for Reimer's $22.5M 5-year-term demands.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Lancer wrote: Calgary's defence is better than Toronto's, but still. That guy is not going to make them appreciably better. Hope they sign him! :)
Seriously, the Flames had the worst goaltending by far in the NHL this season.

I think injury-prone Reimer and that dee will make the Flames a bubble team for the foreseeable future.

(a bubble team that consistently misses the playoffs due to depth issues)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Backstrom wants to keep playing but doubts it will continue in the NHL. Flames goalies dropping like flies.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cowshit flies. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Strangelove wrote:Seriously, the Flames had the worst goaltending by far in the NHL this season.

I think injury-prone Reimer and that dee will make the Flames a bubble team for the foreseeable future.

Is Burke the worst executive in the league at evaluating goaltending talent? *THINK* about it.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The Flames started the season with three goaltenders and feared losing one to waivers.......and there was none.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

BurningBeard wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Seriously, the Flames had the worst goaltending by far in the NHL this season.

Is Burke the worst executive in the league at evaluating goaltending talent? *THINK* about it.
Giving Bryz away for free doesn't look so bad now.. :look: