Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Post by 5thhorseman »

Iafrate was useless when faced with an empty net, though :lol:
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

CrzyCanuck wrote:Honestly I don't understand why Booth never panned out when put with the twins. He lacked hockey smart? If so, could he not have been a fire hydrant ala Klatt and Carter?
Booth is a pretty poor fit with the twins. Booth doesn't have great hands hands or in close finishing skills, is a terrible passer, and isn't much of a touch and go player. Booth really doesn't work off the cycle all that well. Booth is at his best when he's fed the puck with time and space to unheash his good wrist shoot and in transition either receiving a drop pass or driving to the net to poke home pucks. To Booth's credit, Booth works hard and is good at finding open space to maximize his scoring potential. One thing that bugged me with Booth playing with Kesler is that Booth often got the puck far away from the net and had to create space for himself before shooting the puck. That's not his game. If he's not poking home pucks, he needs to get the puck in scoring position where has enough time to get off his wrist shot but doesn't have to create space for himself.

The Sedins work well with a partner who can help out with the cycle and touch pass the puck back to them and then move into scoring position to tap home pucks. This is why Burrows has worked so well with the Sedins. Booth isn't very good at tapping home cross-ice passes or one-timing shots and he is terrible at giving the puck back quickly.

Carter wasn't really a fire hydrant. He had really good hands and knew how to get into position to receive Sedin gift passes. Carter worked very well with the Sedins because Carter's problem was that he liked to float and that worked out great because the Sedins did all the hard work. Klatt was a fire hydrant who bulled his way in front of the net but really was a terrible partner because Klatt frequently wasn't ready for passes and had terrible in close finishing skills.

RoyalDude wrote:My beef with Booth will always be about his Puck Possession skills are should I say, lack-thereof. His stick handling is embarrassing to watch. Lousy on defense. He is quite passionless in his play and wish he played with a fucking edge sometimes. He has terrible anticipation of play, which is why he useless on the cycle and will never be a good fit for the Sedins.
Booth isn't a puck possession player. He's a shooter who knows how to get himself into scoring position. I really disagree with you on his ability to anticipate plays. I think Booth is very good at anticipating plays. Booth is frequently in good position to receive passes and anticipates shots and rebounds very well. There's a reason Booth scored 31 goals in a season in the NHL and averages 20+ goals regularly. Booth knows how to play his game. As for Booth's play being passionless, I agree that Booth doesn't exactly "step up" but he works hard and is constantly working his ass off on the forecheck and pretty much battling for space all over the ice.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Lancer wrote:
CrzyCanuck wrote:Honestly I don't understand why Booth never panned out when put with the twins. He lacked hockey smart? If so, could he not have been a fire hydrant ala Klatt and Carter?

Anyhoo, 25 goal is a reasonable expectation of him next year on a second line.
All this talk of him being a moron with a low IQ is laughable. Al Iafrate could have been diagnosed as a retard had he been tested, and he still was a helluva hockey player. As for his beliefs, whutevah. I'd take a holy-roller who scores 20 goals over a public asshole (read-Kane) who scores 40. Unless they pull a Tim Thomas and create issues in the locker room, I could care less what his stance is on existentialism and public policy.

Frankly, I think Booth is due for a bounce-back season. No doubt Gillis and Vigneault have sent him home with a small mountain of homework and drills to work on so he can figure out what he needs to do without thinking and execute. I think the will is there, and I think the ability is there, I think he just needs a full summer of working on what he has to do.

As for his lack of success, who else but Carter has had the success Burrows has had with the Sedins. I think it's more a sign of how valuable Burrows is to the team vice a knock on Booth.

Lets not forget Special Ed!
The only HW the Canucks need
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

According to Hockey Night in Canada's Andi Petrillo, the leaves have made an offer to the Kings for Jonathan Bernier, who was the backup to Jonathan Quick last season. Quick signed a 10-year, $58 million contract extension last month, leading Bernier to ask for a trade. Earlier this month, Burke told Sportsnet 590 The Fan the leaves wanted a proven puck-stopper as an upgrade in net. Now it looks like he's focused on 23-year-old Bernier....
DeLevering since 1999.
CrzyCanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by CrzyCanuck »

donlever wrote:According to Hockey Night in Canada's Andi Petrillo, the leaves have made an offer to the Kings for Jonathan Bernier, who was the backup to Jonathan Quick last season. Quick signed a 10-year, $58 million contract extension last month, leading Bernier to ask for a trade. Earlier this month, Burke told Sportsnet 590 The Fan the leaves wanted a proven puck-stopper as an upgrade in net. Now it looks like he's focused on 23-year-old Bernier....

Well, in a similar situation more than a decade ago and he tagged a goalie whom he applauded as goalie of the future, who then, was ALSO 23 years old, and guess what, was also a goalie from Florida :D

Canucks and Florida just seem to have a never-goaltending story :p
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

donlever wrote:Earlier this month, Burke told Sportsnet 590 The Fan the leaves wanted a proven puck-stopper as an upgrade in net. Now it looks like he's focused on 23-year-old Bernier....
So he's obviously changed his mind? :lol:

Datta boy Burke, I knew you wouldn't let us down, keep on recycling.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

BB just doesn't get it. this is another Potvin solution. BB is cutting his own throat. Who knows Brain maybe you're looking towards a job in Columbus
cheers
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

donlever wrote:According to Hockey Night in Canada's Andi Petrillo, the leaves have made an offer to the Kings for Jonathan Bernier, who was the backup to Jonathan Quick last season. Quick signed a 10-year, $58 million contract extension last month, leading Bernier to ask for a trade. Earlier this month, Burke told Sportsnet 590 The Fan the leaves wanted a proven puck-stopper as an upgrade in net. Now it looks like he's focused on 23-year-old Bernier....
Obvious smokescreen.

Burke is trying to get the price for Luongo down by feigning interest in an unproven rookie.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

Zedlee wrote:
Obvious smokescreen.

Burke is trying to get the price for Luongo down by feigning interest in an unproven rookie.
Yeah, thought crossed my mind, these guys are beyond that kind of mind game though (although Burke perhaps doesn't think so).

It's like Luongo playing poker with Phil Ivey.

Bluff to your little hearts desire, ain't doin' no good.
DeLevering since 1999.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I think Burke just knows the real price tag on Lou and isn't willing to pay it so he's moving on to what he thinks is the next best fix.

The mind game thing is unlikely because Gillis knows how the game is played.....and Burke knows it. Although, it could be all part and parcel of his loose-tie-open-collar facade.

Regardless it flies in the face of Reimer being the real deal.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

This is all true but the one over-riding factor is that Burke still NEEDS the leaves to get into the playoffs or he is going to be riding the bench as a sports commentator. Thus far the leaves haven't made any real moves in that direction. In their current state, its likely they will get smoked again... and still loose the #1 pick to Edmonton even if the Oilers have a 1% chance of getting the first pick.

I'm not sure Burke has the cards to make the gamble he seems to be.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Don't know how reliable this guy is, but
@TheInsiderNhl
Preds are going to offer Weber over 102 Million around 12-13 yrs if he declines it, Preds have no choice but to trade him.
Finally going for their big push to re-sign Weber, if he turns something like that down, no doubt they have to trade him.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote:I think Burke just knows the real price tag on Lou and isn't willing to pay it so he's moving on to what he thinks is the next best fix.

The mind game thing is unlikely because Gillis knows how the game is played.....and Burke knows it. Although, it could be all part and parcel of his loose-tie-open-collar facade.

Regardless it flies in the face of Reimer being the real deal.
Burke sucks at poker.

We all know he's desperate for a reliable goalie.

BUT he prolly figures Lou won't waive for TO and is prolly waiting for Theodore after Lou goes to the Cats.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote:Don't know how reliable this guy is, but
@TheInsiderNhl
Preds are going to offer Weber over 102 Million around 12-13 yrs if he declines it, Preds have no choice but to trade him.
Finally going for their big push to re-sign Weber, if he turns something like that down, no doubt they have to trade him.
There was a link to an ESPN article posted here a week ago where the scribe stated that to be obvious.

Tant and I and a coupla others agreed: obvious.

I suppose Poile might hold off on pulling the trigger until a new CBA is in place - UFA age might increase, I doubt it

... but at this point even IF that happens he should be concerned Weber demands a trade.

Like I said before, the contract Weber gets is the easy part (Crosby-esque)

... the question is 'What team does Weber choo-choo-choose?'
____
Try to focus on someday.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

wafflecombine wrote:I'm not sure Burke has the cards to make the gamble he seems to be.
Agreed. You have to think BB's ass is on the line.

If it were me, I'd pick up the #1 tender now that can help us get into the playoffs. The move could easily be sold as Luongo will be the man over the next four or so years while Reimer/Scrivens is groomed to be the future starter. It's been nearly a 10 year drought, that organization has got to be desperate to be a playoff team again, and they haven't had a decent goalie since Cujo.

Trading for Luongo would be the far less risky move IMO.

On the other hand, Bernier is another Weekes. A guy who has looked great for stretches but is largely unproven. Burke could look like a hero or more of a buffoon than he already does. At this point, after coming off looking pretty good in Anaheim, Burke's stock is low. If it were me, I'd make the move to acquire a sure thing rather than make another gamble like he has with Kessel and Phaneuf.