Farhan's $0.02: Hats off to the LA Kings, and other thoughts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Re: Farhan's $0.02: Hats off to the LA Kings, and other thou

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Farhan's advice to the young'uns...........or whoever:

Have to say one more thing: Rise above the hate........as WWE Wrestler John Cena says. :P

But seriously - there will come a day when the Canucks will struggle and perhaps a team from Alberta will be in a similar position to where we were last year.

My advice? Don't be a hater. Instead of resenting another team or another city's success, just focus on YOU.......and YOUR city......and how YOU can be better. If there is ONE thing that I hope separates us great fans on here, Canuckscorner, from many fans of the Flames, Oilers, and leaves, it is that. Rise above the hate and the bullshit.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

CFP! wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:
Waffle wrote:Come on Farhan, you are only a teenager in blog years. Don't disappear on the true Canuck fans.
Oh don't get me wrong - I'll always be a Canuck fan, but my days of being a message board poster/social media guy as it pertains to the Canucks might be coming to a close. I love posting on here but it's definitely a time consuming commitment.....and an emotional one.
When you getting married?
LOL, no marriage for me CFP. I absolutely love bachelorhood and don't want it any other way. For now, I'm too much of a free spirit. 8-)

I'll take a confused 19 year old having "daddy issues" over a ready-to-settle-down career focused woman any day. :lol:
Blaster86
CC Veteran

Post by Blaster86 »

LEARNING LESSON!

Next season they don't coast for 90% of the season. Bank on it.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Blaster86 wrote:LEARNING LESSON!

Salo said it like it was in his post game interview.

The Canucks didn't play well down the stretch, and they shouldn't have thought they could switch it on when the playoffs started.
Blaster86
CC Veteran

Post by Blaster86 »

clem wrote:
Blaster86 wrote:LEARNING LESSON!

Salo said it like it was in his post game interview.

The Canucks didn't play well down the stretch, and they shouldn't have thought they could switch it on when the playoffs started.
'
DING.

Bodes well for next season if that message permeates.
Waffle
CC Veteran

Post by Waffle »

Clem he also said they made too many mistakes, and he was absolutely right.
Blaster86
CC Veteran

Post by Blaster86 »

Waffle wrote:Clem he also said they made too many mistakes, and he was absolutely right.
They did. Comes with playing like ass.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

O so Canuck fans can sleep well this summer, Salo thinks the team coasted an others think they made too many mistakes.

What a freaking joke.

Maybe the players/coaches/GM should of thought of this a couple of months ago when the team was playing like crap but no everyone said it was just a phase.

This team needs a couple major tweaks, don't know where or who but that is MG to figure out.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Farhan Lalji wrote: What I think the Canucks need to become Stanley Cup Champions:

In one word, scoring....when it matters most. We need another top 6 player, and moving one of Luongo or Schneider this summer hopefully gets us that piece. After watching Detroit, Pitsburgh, and San Jose get bounced, combined with the fact that Boston and NYR are sitting at 3 losses in their respective series', I will admit that my attitude isn't nearly as negative towards the Canucks as it was a week ago when I was angrily (and stupidly) suggesting that we blow up this team (I was pissed and emotional at the time, but I'm feeling slightly more levelheaded tonight I guess).

Having said that - I think the Canucks need another elite top 6 player to play alongside Kesler (giving the Canucks the option to use this newly created co #1 line to take pressure off of the twins as opposing top elite shut down pairings will have to be used against one of the two lines).
I agree that scoring was the issue. But sadly, Kesler was not playing like a top-6 most of the year. We need him to return to form, not a big trade for another top-6 to add to the Carousel of Higgins, Booth, Burrows, Raymond, Hansen (if he continues to improve), and Kesler.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yeah, the Kings did play better than us and we don't deserve to advance. Funny thing is, I don't think the Kings did anything special to beat us. They just played their game and the Canucks played so poorly that they basically beat themselves.
LiquidSnake
AHL Prospect

Post by LiquidSnake »

Farhan Lalji wrote:Farhan's advice to the young'uns...........or whoever:

Have to say one more thing: Rise above the hate........as WWE Wrestler John Cena says. :P

But seriously - there will come a day when the Canucks will struggle and perhaps a team from Alberta will be in a similar position to where we were last year.

My advice? Don't be a hater. Instead of resenting another team or another city's success, just focus on YOU.......and YOUR city......and how YOU can be better. If there is ONE thing that I hope separates us great fans on here, Canuckscorner, from many fans of the Flames, Oilers, and leaves, it is that. Rise above the hate and the bullshit.
That's well said. You can also include the Sens in that list. Schadenfreude is in full effect around the country.
Waffle
CC Veteran

Post by Waffle »

Reefer, they didn’t loose just because they made too many mistakes, but it was a major reason they only won one game.

If fixing the mistakes was just up to the coaches, it would have been fixed before the playoffs. They are not idiots and can see the mistakes as readily as the fans. So why did the team that was largely mistake free last year go to being like the keystone cops? I personally think it was mostly mental fatigue.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

The Kings scored at least 3 goals on our Keystone cops impersonation - 2 in game 2 and 1 in game 5. Anyone see more?

I can't understand how they ended up falling all over themselves like that so frequently.
Waffle
CC Veteran

Post by Waffle »

Do I detect a note of sarcasm there Puck? I hope I have read you correctly.

If you make a couple of mistakes more than your opponent, you may win. If you make a whole bunch more, your chances of winning are drastically less. How many mistakes did you see LA make?

The mistakes weren't just on plays that resulted in goals for LA. The mistakes took many forms: give aways or not clearing the zone attempts that resulted in more in your zone time and scoring chances for the other team (and thus less for your own and more work containing them); poor moving the puck decisions; poor line changes; dumb penalties; more yapping than playing; and so on.

Overall in the series according to the data at Canucks Army, the Canucks were outchanced 97 to 78. In game 5, with the Canucks presumably laying it all on the line to stave off elimination, they were outchanced 30 to 21 overall, 26 to 16 at even strength, and 15 to 6 with the score tied. Over the last 24 min of the game, they were outchanced 16 to 4.

if you believe that LA has a significantly superior team compared to the Canucks, these numbers will make sense although I would challenge any statistical basis for that belief. If you believe that they aren't, then you will wonder if there are other reasons for these numbers. I believe that mental fatigue played a significant role and that the Canucks were just mentally not playing well, ie, making mistakes. There were definitely other factors too, like Kessler's problems, and perhaps Bieska if the rumors are correct. I will concede that Keystone cops isn't the best descriptive phrase to use, but I couldn't think of a better one to convey the idea that the Canucks, as Salo said, made way too many mistakes.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Waffle wrote:Do I detect a note of sarcasm there Puck? I hope I have read you correctly.

If you make a couple of mistakes more than your opponent, you may win. If you make a whole bunch more, your chances of winning are drastically less. How many mistakes did you see LA make?

The mistakes weren't just on plays that resulted in goals for LA. The mistakes took many forms: give aways or not clearing the zone attempts that resulted in more in your zone time and scoring chances for the other team (and thus less for your own and more work containing them); poor moving the puck decisions; poor line changes; dumb penalties; more yapping than playing; and so on.

Overall in the series according to the data at Canucks Army, the Canucks were outchanced 97 to 78. In game 5, with the Canucks presumably laying it all on the line to stave off elimination, they were outchanced 30 to 21 overall, 26 to 16 at even strength, and 15 to 6 with the score tied. Over the last 24 min of the game, they were outchanced 16 to 4.

if you believe that LA has a significantly superior team compared to the Canucks, these numbers will make sense although I would challenge any statistical basis for that belief. If you believe that they aren't, then you will wonder if there are other reasons for these numbers. I believe that mental fatigue played a significant role and that the Canucks were just mentally not playing well, ie, making mistakes. There were definitely other factors too, like Kessler's problems, and perhaps Bieska if the rumors are correct. I will concede that Keystone cops isn't the best descriptive phrase to use, but I couldn't think of a better one to convey the idea that the Canucks, as Salo said, made way too many mistakes.
Sorry, Waffle, but what are the rumours?