OK, So What I have been told

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: OK, So What I have been told

Post by Island Nucklehead »

TDA Rum wrote:We don't need a goalie in return as we will have Eddie Lack as the back up next year with Joe Cannata moving to the Wolves...
Even when Cory Schneider was tearing up the AHL the Canucks signed veteran goalies to back up Luongo. Lack will need more time, and Schneider will need someone capable of playing more games. There's every indication he could be as good as Luongo, but being as good and playing as much are two different things. Not many goalies can handle the minutes Luongo could at the NHL level. Having not even started 60% of Chicago's games this season, I don't think there's a chance Lack takes a full time backup role in the NHL next season, IMO.

Also, the Canucks' philosophy all along has been to have their youth challenge vets for spots in the lineup. Cody Hodgson wasn't guaranteed a spot, and arguably only got onto this years team by injuries and Malhotra's diminished abilities. They won't roll into next season with the most important (and arguably their best position this year) being that much of a question mark.
Benjo wrote:Florida is letting Markstrom get his seasoning in the minors and will be ready as early as next season not to mention their GM saw Lu lose 2 series against his former team. Ottawa has Lehner in the pipeline and are also letting him get seasoned in the minors. Tampa is likely the best option as I can't think of any goalies they have in the system that can even remotely be described as a starting goalie.
Markstrom is certainly highly touted, which I way I don't think Florida will sniff around Luongo. Don't know much about the Lehner kid, cept his team in Binghampton is atrocious this year and he's not doing much to help them with a 3.38 GAA. The Sens did make the move for Ben Bishop to try and get them into the playoffs this season.

Ultimately the offseason is where teams re-tool. I would have to think the chance to get a goalie with Luongo's pedigree, experience and track record of success (relative to 95% of goalies) would make some of these teams re-think their situation. It does say a lot when two of the more successful teams over the past couple years have developed starting goalies behind bonafide stars (Boston, Vancouver) over extended periods.

I'm still holding out for a trade with Washington. Bring on Luongo - Carlson ;)
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Eddie Lack is not going to sign another contract so he can spend his third year in the minors, he has being dominating the last few months for the Wolves and is ready to take over the back up roll behind whoever is left as the starter... Eddie Lack is the real deal and will be in the NHL next year....
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: It wasn't the flu. The best they could determine was that after game 3 or 4 in Chicago ( I forget now which game) the majority of the players got something from the after game food in the dressing room. The way the illness spread, who got infected and the symptoms were all consistent with food poisoning/sickness.
IN Chicago eh??

Y'know one could come up with a very believable conspiracy theory if one were so inclined.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: It wasn't the flu. The best they could determine was that after game 3 or 4 in Chicago ( I forget now which game) the majority of the players got something from the after game food in the dressing room. The way the illness spread, who got infected and the symptoms were all consistent with food poisoning/sickness.
IN Chicago eh??

Y'know one could come up with a very believable conspiracy theory if one were so inclined.
After spending so much on the travel/sleep expert, MG should probably get the team a chef to travel with during the playoffs. Not just to avoid "food poisoning" but also improve the team's overall health.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
IN Chicago eh??

There was. Don't you remember that at one point after a game in Chicago the Canucks were complaining about unauthorized personnel being aloud into the dressing room. They complained to the hawks and to the NHL prompting the NHL to send a memo to all playoff teams reminding them about locker room security.

But no, no one suggested that the food was tampered with. The Canucks were upset that unauthorized people in the room were talking about the condition of Canucks players.
The only HW the Canucks need
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

Last year I was told about the flu and that IVs were in the dressing room. After mentioning it on a message board (can't remember which one) all I heard was "that's an excuse, it's B.S." It would have served no purpose for the truth to come out.

HW, can you ask your source about this? Supposedly there is a handshake deal between the Canucks and Columbus re: Rick Nash that will happen during the off-season. I question the validity of this but the person I heard it from swears he has a reliable source within the Canucks. Apparently the Aqualinis have also developed a relationship with the Luongo family and they now have business ties. Is this true? If so, I wonder about the implications, if any, this might have on Luongo's status here.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Thanx for the intel HW. Yeah, I couldn't really see CoHo demanding a trade, but I could see his father being a factor. I think CoHo really liked being here, genuinely liked the way his teammates treated him, was happy to bid his time, learn from the vets like Kes/Hank/Manny and be a part of a team that has a chance @ the cup. I was listening to Hammer and Burr and they were saying CoHo was kind of like their little bro and they were teaching him how to dress as a professional player and all. *LOL* I think it explains a bit why he has like zero points in 8 games for buffalo.

Wow, if we can unload Luo and Baltard in the offseason, that would be wonderful. I wouldn't mind keeping MayRay around, but I'd have to say he has been a disappointment thus far. Maybe the injury is still holding him back a bit and needs a good off season to properly recover. I honestly don't know why AV just doesn't sit him in the box for a couple games.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

cjc wrote:Last year I was told about the flu and that IVs were in the dressing room. After mentioning it on a message board (can't remember which one) all I heard was "that's an excuse, it's B.S." It would have served no purpose for the truth to come out.

HW, can you ask your source about this? Supposedly there is a handshake deal between the Canucks and Columbus re: Rick Nash that will happen during the off-season. I question the validity of this but the person I heard it from swears he has a reliable source within the Canucks. Apparently the Aqualinis have also developed a relationship with the Luongo family and they now have business ties. Is this true? If so, I wonder about the implications, if any, this might have on Luongo's status here.

I haven't heard anything on Nash and I doubt if there were an agreement between the Canucks and Nash it would be made public. A little thing called tampering. So I have no idea if the Canucks are interested or if they have anything on the back burner with Columbus.

As to Luongo and Waterboy having business dealing again I have no idea about that. People need to realize that I have no inside scoop that Luongo will be traded only that the Canucks have had discussions and that they love Cory. They do not want to part with him so my take is that they are forward thinking in that it is not a slam dunk that Cory is the one gone and that MG would, if the right deal came along and if Luongo agreed to waive his NTC, trade Luongo and keep Cory. But I obviously have no way of predicting what the final outcome will be. I am just heartened to know that the Canucks will explore all possible scenarios.

MG is coy. Whatever is rumoured in the press will in all likelihood NOT be what happens. He loves disinformation and smoke screens. So if it is hotly rumoured and talked about look for the opposite.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

TDA Rum wrote:Eddie Lack is not going to sign another contract so he can spend his third year in the minors, he has being dominating the last few months for the Wolves and is ready to take over the back up roll behind whoever is left as the starter... Eddie Lack is the real deal and will be in the NHL next year....
You're suggesting that Lack is on the same development path as Schneider, which is a stretch to say the least. Schneider played 136 games in the AHL. Lack has only played 90. He's looked good, but it's a big talent gap and many a goalie can't make the jump. Doubt the Canucks take the chance without being 100% sure. They were extremely patient with Schneider, and probably will be with Lack.

Lack also has little bargaining power as an RFA.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

No i am not saying that at all....I am saying I have seen Eddie Lack play and i have seen Cory Schneider play and Lack is far better and more prepared to play in the NHL than Schneider was after his first 2 years...therefore i am saying he is ready for back up duty in the NHL next year..and l believe the Canucks management do as well...you can agree or disagree, we will find out soon enough....
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Don't know much about the Lehner kid, cept his team in Binghampton is atrocious this year and he's not doing much to help them with a 3.38 GAA. The Sens did make the move for Ben Bishop to try and get them into the playoffs this season.
Lehner is one of those players that I think headed over too early. Granted, for a goalie it might make more sense than for a skater, since goaltending has been considered the position that takes most time relearning. That being said, in recent years this "truth" seems to have passed it's best before date. Lundquist stepped right in and assumed the starting role in New York without ever playing in the AHL. :?

Either way, he has only ever played junior hockey in Sweden, so I don't really know that much, except that he's really big for a goalie and has been considered extremely talented.
Lehner's eliteprospects profile

He has definitely not had a good year in Binghamton this season, but I think the whole team stinks.

In the five games he has played for Ottawa he seems to have held his own. He has the best GAA and SVS% of the lot, and a slightly better winning percentage than Anderson (3/5=60% 29/54=54%), albeit five games is of course a very small sample size.... :?
Ottawa goaltending stats 2011/12

I think he'll eventually become a bona fide NHL goalie, but he may need a few more years to mature into that role.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

I've skimmed through this thread and there are a few destinations that could be a fit for Luongo. One that I didn't see is New Jersey. I still think Tampa is the most likely if Gillis were to trade Lou, but the Devils would be a good fit too..... depending if his wife lets him waive his NTC for Joisey.
2011..... the one that got away.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:I've skimmed through this thread and there are a few destinations that could be a fit for Luongo. One that I didn't see is New Jersey. I still think Tampa is the most likely if Gillis were to trade Lou, but the Devils would be a good fit too..... depending if his wife lets him waive his NTC for Joisey.
I just thought he'd make a great alternate cast member for Jersey Shore.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

Vpete wrote: I just thought he'd make a great alternate cast member for Jersey Shore.
So rumours of infidelity (allegedly).

Snookie reportedly with child.

Hey, hey , hey....
DeLevering since 1999.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

I can totally see Lou and Sitch hitting the bars and Luongo missing girls as they float right by him.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.