Canucks get Zack Kassian

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks get Zack Kassian

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

donlever wrote:
coco_canuck wrote: I love the potential of the deal, but the downside is terrifying.

I see hyperbole has not escaped you after all this time.
Beat it newbie.

:P
2011..... the one that got away.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Potatoe1 wrote: Raymond / Lappy / Kassian
Manny / Sammie / Hansen

4th line continues to take all the defensive zone draws.

3rd line become energy / forecheck line where Raymond buzzes around the outside while Zack and Lappy pound defenseman down low.
I like those lines, but I think AV will initially try to deploy a 3rd line the same way he did with Malhtora's line last season. If that doesn't work as well as they want, I can see them mixing it up quite a bit.

Aloso, when Kassian develops, he's going to help open the ice and make a player like Raymond more effective when they skate on the same line.

I'm more than fine with Raymond remaining on the team. He's a solid two-way player who can play up and down your line-up and is an excellent penalty killer. Even if he doesn't produce offensive numbers in the playoffs, he can be an effective forward who helps in other areas.

I really like this team's depth going into the playoffs, but one area of concern is a skill centre stepping in if Hank or Kes gets hurt. The only real offensive option would be Schroeder, and I'd love to see him play a handful of games before the season is out to see if he's even an option.

For the most part I think we'll see this:

Raymond-Pahlsson-Hansen
Malhotra-Lapierre-Kassian

Weise
Bitz
Duco
Reinprecht
Schroeder

On defence, I'm excited to see Gragnani. I'm high on this kid. He stepped into the top 4 in the playoffs last year (7 games) and played extremely well. He has it in him to play well in a playoff series, and his skills should translate very well on this team. Best case scenario, he impresses here and is a viable option to step into the top 4 if someone gets hurt. I'm pretty confident Tanev will be serviceable if Bieksa or Salo go down, and it'd be nice if Gragnani would be a good fit if Hamhuis or Edler were hurt.

Having two guys who could potentially move up may make the team just as deep on defence as last year, if not deeper.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

I'm going to try and move past this trade and embrace what we got. That's all we can do now so no point fretting anymore.

Thing is we might all be forgetting the best thing to come out of this deadline day...WE KEPT OUR TOP THREE PICKS IN THIS YEAR'S DRAFT!!!

Unless that is we gave something up in previous deals...I lost track, can someone confirm? My guess is we have all three plus another 3rd from the Booth deal. We are going to need those picks for the big blockbuster move come draft day.
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

coco_canuck wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:
I love the potential of the deal, but the downside is terrifying.
I think we're able to afford the downside with the depth of our roster and bargain contracts from our top 6.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:Thing is we might all be forgetting the best thing to come out of this deadline day...WE KEPT OUR TOP THREE PICKS IN THIS YEAR'S DRAFT!!!

Unless that is we gave something up in previous deals...I lost track, can someone confirm? My guess is we have all three plus another 3rd from the Booth deal. We are going to need those picks for the big blockbuster move come draft day.
This is a great site for NHL draft picks:

2012 Draft

Canucks have their 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, and 7th - but gave up their 3rd to Anaheim in the Lapierre trade (Lapierre and MacGregor Sharp for the Canucks' 3rd and Joel Perrault), and their 4th plus the NYI 4th (from Christian Ehrhoff's rights) and Taylor Ellington to Columbus for Pahlsson.

2013 Draft

The Canucks currently have all their picks in the 2013 Draft.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Potatoe1 wrote:2 of the 3 guys you mentioned lead the league in defensive zone draws. Part of why the coaches chooses to use them in that role is because they are excellent at getting the puck out of their zone and advancing it.

You are way off on this point.
We must watch different Canuck teams. Maybe I'm watching the Giants play and don't even realize it, I don't know, but I do know that time and again I have watched our third and fourth lines, and even our first line, get hemmed in our own zone for entire shifts. The few times they have managed to regain control of the puck they have either iced it or had nowhere to go and been checked quickly and the puck returns to the scrum along the boards. Tonight against Phoenix we see our 3rd and 4th lines being more effective at getting the puck out of the zone, through the first period anyway, but Phoneix isn't the same team that Boston and San Jose are. Granted they have hurdled up and over the Shark's for their division lead.

I want to see the Canucks be as smooth in their transition as Detroit is, different teams, and different coaches, oh well.

As for the rest of it, I was only using the Boston game as an example. In that case the league did suspend Marchand. But he was back at it again as soon as he returned to the lineup, and he clearly didn't get the message if you believe what he says in the media. There are other teams that love to take runs at opponent's star players, and the league lets a pile of shit go that shouldn't be ignored. Even having an answer for the bullshit that Joe Thornton routinely pulls and the officials just turn a blind eye towards, because hey, Jumbo is just such a great guy.

What has Carolina figured out about Boston? I know they've handed them their asses all year, but I haven't had a chance to catch any of the games.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Kassian removed his visor.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BladesofSteel wrote:Kassian removed his visor.
Cuz he's back in Canada. :P
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Southern_Canuck wrote: This is a great site for NHL draft picks:

2012 Draft

Canucks have their 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, and 7th - but gave up their 3rd to Anaheim in the Lapierre trade (Lapierre and MacGregor Sharp for the Canucks' 3rd and Joel Perrault), and their 4th plus the NYI 4th (from Christian Ehrhoff's rights) and Taylor Ellington to Columbus for Pahlsson.

2013 Draft

The Canucks currently have all their picks in the 2013 Draft.

S_C

Ah, thanks S_C..should know to count on you for this kind of info.

I remember the 3rd for Higs next year but forgot about the 3rd for Lappy this year. Florida's 3rd we got in the Booth deal basically replaces the one we gave up for Higs in 2013. One of the 1st or 2nd will be shipped off in the package with Schneids this summer. Something big is coming...I can feel it...
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

I'm too busy these days to write something noteworthy, but I'm thoroughly enjoying reading this thread.

Thank god that this site now has the likes of Hockey Widow, Potatoe, UWSaint,......and a full-time return of donlever?

Hope to see drdork come back here as well.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Old Stick wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
Old Stick wrote:This is great for Cody. He'll get way more ice time in Buffalo and probably won't have to deal with a coach that doesn't have much respect for him.

But we don't get much in the way of a return that helps right now. If Kassian isn't ready for Buffalo he sure as fuck isn't ready for the Canucks. And a bottom 6 D? Really?

Gillis gave Cody a chance to play somewhere he'll be valued and took a shit in Vigneault's hat while he was at it.
How so? He just gave him a top 6 and maybe a top 4 D man FrancoFuckingPhone Gragnani is the wild card...he develops in the next few years with Tanev and Edler and we won't miss Sammy when he says adieu....
As I said - no help right now...the last 5 games the Sabres have barely used FrancoFuckingPhone Gragnani and sat him out once. He's on pace for 1 goal and 15 assists - woohoo. The 2014 playoffs will be his time. If his promise pans out.

Kassian's recent story is pretty similar except he goes back and forth more than FrancoFuckingPhone Gragnani. If he sticks around for a 46 game season he's on pace for 5 goals and 6 assists. Woofuckinhoo. Again maybe 2014.

Meantime Hodgson's production goes to Buffalo, where, under the lens of the estern media, he probably will win he Calder unless the Nuge suddenly gets well and goes on a tear. Mind you, Cody will get more ice time in Buffalo - maybe a lot more - and then we'll see how fast he makes this trade look really, really dumb.

ps...go here and find either of these guys on the Buffalo roster. http://sabres.nhl.com/club/roster.htm
Oh, but there is help right now! You have to add Påhlsson into the equation! Hodgson wasn't a real third line centre that you can use to shutdown the opposition's best line, but there was no way he would be able to steal the second line duties from Kesler. Thus we've had to use Kesler and the second line for shutdown purposes. With Påhlsson we get a real traditional third line shutdown centre with the hardware to prove it (2006 Olympic gold, 2007 Stanley Cup).

This allows us to use the Kesler line for more offensive purposes! And Påhlsson can be used for critical faceoffs as well, making the whole situation on what line to ice at what time more flexible.

Adding Påhlsson gave us the option to trade Hodgson, who will surely be a bone fide top two line centre in time, but had no chance of becoming that in Vancouver for another three of four years. Heck, in Buffalo he may get to play on one of their top lines tonight already! :P

Giving up this prospect allowed us to address a glaring lack of size on the wing. Kassian is still not a finished product, but he has potential to become a future Bertuzzi, and he can already engage players like Lucic or Marchand if necessary.

Add to this an upgrade on the blue line - Gragnani is surely better than Sulzer and may in time take a spot on our top four.

So what did we lose? Hodgson (who wasn't going to be used properly on this team), Sulzer and a couple of picks.

What did we gain? Påhlsson, a proven commodity (but probably just a rental), Kassian, a power forward prospect who is NHL ready (barely) but will reach his full potential in a few years, and Gragnani.

I'd say our third line is better and allows our second line to be used more aggressively, and we have a slight upgrade on the D. Not bad.

And next time Marchand feels like punching one of our players in the face, we may direct him toward Kassian... :lol:

* Youtube clip removed - wrong Kassian! :blush: *
Last edited by Per on Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Potatoe1 wrote: If he can be a 20 goal 40 point guy with his size and toughness, he's a huge asset and perhaps even more valuable then the 60+ point guy Cody Hodgson will most likely turn into.
Agreed. This team has tons of skill. If we give some up to gain grit, we probably become a more balanced team and harder to beat. I loved the promise in Hodgson, but Kesler and Henrik are here to stay and thus we were not going to use CoHo to his full potential. Trading him for a power forward in the makings makes sense. At first I was shocked, but the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Gillis did the right thing.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Lancer wrote: Will this kid scare anyone in the playoffs outside of his coaching staff?
Brad Marchand? That'd be all I need to stay happy. 8-)
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote:I'm just gonna go right ahead and disagree with everyone...

- - -

PS - Mëds is really bummed we didn't get rid of Rome.
Nice post! 8-)

+
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

UWSaint wrote:But there is *so* much uncertainty.
I agree that there is a lot of uncertainty, but I'm more of a glass half full kind of guy, so I focus on the potential.

If Kassian reaches his potential, he'll be more valuable to this organisation than Cody would be reaching his potential.
I think Cody may be the better player, but we already have some excellent players at centre, and we lack a real power forward on the wing. It's a gamble, for sure, but I think it may be a gamble worth making.