Cammalleri to Calgary

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Cammalleri to Calgary

Post by tantalum »

Mondi wrote:http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=384922

On the back of some pretty nasty comments. Flamers get better overnight.
Not convinced they get better. THey only do so if Cammalleri regains his 40 goal scoring form. The last couple of season he hasn't been that player. If he doesn't they got the same inconsistent goal scorer for $3 mil more cap hit.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Mondi wrote: On the back of some pretty nasty comments. Flamers get better overnight.
Fantastic, so they'll finish in 9th.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

He's only effective in the playoffs.... so good luck to him now!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Will it be better enough??
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

This is actually really bad if you're a Flames fan.

They're going to make a good stretch run again, fail and then draft in the teens.

The Fail for Nail campaign just hit a major snag.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

mathonwy wrote:This is actually really bad if you're a Flames fan.

They're going to make a good stretch run again, fail and then draft in the teens.

This is exactly what I think. They have improved, but the Stanley Cup parade plans are still on hold :roll: :drink:

As for Montreal, wow - what a knee jerk reaction. Can you imagine what the Montreal media will do to Bourque when he floats through a 10 or 15 game stretch without any points, like he did at times with the Flames.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Aaronp18 wrote:Fantastic, so they'll finish in 9th.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I always thought Cammy brought out the best in Jarome too - he was the only winger Jarome ever got that he really clicked with, and that was the last time they made the playoffs. Funny how badly the deal for Jokinen screwed that franchise.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more Habs GM Pierre Gauthier is acting a lot like Dutter in his last days. I think they got way too little for Cammalleri, much like the Phaneuf trade.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cammaleri is certainly a better player than Bourque and the Flames do improve a little here.

The flames are still woeful in the middle and the defence lacks speed and skill. They may push into the 8th spot but they may also fall short and get a shittier draft pick. The top 5 playoff teams are a lock and I can see LA getting in too. One of Nashville or the Wild may falter but i think both teams have better rosters than Calgary.

I really have no idea what Feaster is doing here. If I were a Flames fan i'd want the thing torn down and I'd want a manager with the testicles to ask Iggy if he'd waive his no trade clause because Jarome has too much class to ask the Flames to deal him. That team needs to be stripped down and rebuilt, but for whatever reason the people running the team can't see this.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Cammaleri is certainly a better player than Bourque and the Flames do improve a little here.

The flames are still woeful in the middle and the defence lacks speed and skill. They may push into the 8th spot but they may also fall short and get a shittier draft pick. The top 5 playoff teams are a lock and I can see LA getting in too. One of Nashville or the Wild may falter but i think both teams have better rosters than Calgary.

I really have no idea what Feaster is doing here. If I were a Flames fan i'd want the thing torn down and I'd want a manager with the testicles to ask Iggy if he'd waive his no trade clause because Jarome has too much class to ask the Flames to deal him. That team needs to be stripped down and rebuilt, but for whatever reason the people running the team can't see this.
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, except for the Flames defence lacking speed. With Brodie, JBo, Gio, Smith (when he's back), and even Butler, they have a fast defense. Sure, they have Sarich, who is slow, and Babchuk is no speed demon, but to say that the overall defence is slow, is incorrect. I agree that guys like Butler aren't exactly the most skilled D men, but the top 4 are actually not bad. Anyway, there are still way too many holes in other areas.

I am not a fan of the way the draft works, and how teams are failing, just to get a top pick. I think that the draft should be random, rather than by the order of finish. So, they draw teams out of a hat - the first team picks first, etc. The following season, that team picks 30th over all, and the team that drew second, picks first, until they have gone through all 30 teams. That way, there will be no tearing teams apart to start over. Teams will just build on what they have. That's what I would like to see, although it'll never happen.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yeah maybe have a weighted lottery system for the draft all the way through the 1st round... but they won't change that in our lifetime.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

But it isn't just footspeed for a blueline to be slow or fast. They don't move the puck quick enough and don't make quick enough decisions. Some will get better but others are what they are.

The Cami that signed the $6 mil a year deal is a better player to be sure. The oft injured inconsistent goal scorer he has been the last 100-120 games isn't. But as Blob says, it still doesn't address the issues the team and franchise has. Has ownership decided it's playoffs at all costs?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

BCExpat wrote:
mathonwy wrote:This is actually really bad if you're a Flames fan.

This is exactly what I think. They have improved, but the Stanley Cup parade plans are still on hold :roll: :drink:

As for Montreal, wow - what a knee jerk reaction. Can you imagine what the Montreal media will do to Bourque when he floats through a 10 or 15 game stretch without any points, like he did at times with the Flames.

He'll be fine, he speaks french so he will become a fan favourite in no time.
The only HW the Canucks need
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Hockey Widow wrote: He'll be fine, he speaks french so he will become a fan favourite in no time.
I don't believe he does speak french.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

tantalum wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: He'll be fine, he speaks french so he will become a fan favourite in no time.
He's from Alberta, not Quebec, so chances are he doesn't speak French.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

BCExpat wrote:
tantalum wrote:
He's from Alberta, not Quebec, so chances are he doesn't speak French.
With a name like "Bourque" you'd think he would be proficient in dual languages. Hrmmm. 8-)