Luongo/Hodgson/Raymond for Lecavlier/Hedman/Downie theory

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Sorry guys,

I don't mean to keep harping on my "Luongo for Lecavlier" ideas but the idea of this intrigues me greatly....probably not if it was one-for-one but as part of a package deal.

Tampa Bay needs goaltending and they could also use some prospects I believe.

The Canucks on the other hand could use some more depth on defense, an agitator that can play aggressively and stick up for teammates, and a guy that can either play with Kesler or ensure that we have 3 dangerous scoring lines at almost all-times. Hedman, Downie, and Lecavlier would most certainly give us that.

Now obviously - you have to 'give to receive'. I think we can all agree that a straight up "Luongo for Lecavlier" deal would not be to our advantage. However - what if this was a packaged deal? Hedman isn't having the best of seasons but he's still very young.....and BIG.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Booth
Downie-Lecavlier-Hansen
Malhottra-Lapierre-Weiss

Bieksa-Hamhuis
Hedman-Edler
Salo-Ballard

Schneider
Lack

(I have excluded Raymond from the line-up assuming that he is the 3rd man in this fantasy deal).

Pre-emptive arguments:

1) I realize that there is a huge advantage in having two bonafide #1 goalies (as the Bruins do in Thomas/Raask), but there are two sides to the coin obviously. Who wouldn't want more depth up front and on D?

2) Yes - Lecavlier's salary and # of years stinks, but I don't think the players will care about it TOO much (atleast our core). Guys like the Sedin twins, Bieksa, Kesler, etc., are all character guys that just want to win. None of them are so petty as to feel, "Hey, I'm better than this guy and he's making more money than me on this team."

3) Yes - Lecavlier is no longer the player that he once was but he still flat out brings it come play off time. He did this last year as well. Lecavlier sticks up for his teammates, is big and physical, and will help us in one of two ways: He will either be a beast with Kesler on the 2nd line (even if he isn't the player that he once was, playing alongside Kesler will ensure that he would be dangerous), OR.....he'd be the best 3rd line center in the game. And before anyone says, "6+ million for a 3rd line center? ha!" I have this to say: When the playoffs hit, depth is king......and perhaps we know this better than anyone. Think scoring depth would have helped us a little against Boston much last year?

4) Yes - losing Luongo would suck balls (especially if we traded Luongo and Schneider got hurt at some point), but it's about risk/reward. As the Redwings and Blackhawks proved in 2008 and 2010 respectively, a team doesn't need to have superstarish goaltending provided that the team in front is a fucking beast. Osgood and Niemi both played very well, but they were hardly Tim Thomas level. Far from it. However - both teams had tremendous depth and talent up front and this overcompensated. Schneider should be able to play just as good as both Osgood and Niemi.

5) Yes - losing Hodgson would suck since he definitely looks like the real deal but Hedman should get to that level as well. His upside is HUGE. At this point, I'd rather see the Canucks having a burgeoning defensive star than an offensive one. Assuming that both Hodgson and Hedman get to the next level in 18 months or so, I think the Canucks would be better served by having a blue chip defenseman.
dbr
CC Legend

Re: Luongo/Hodgson/Raymond for Lecavlier/Hedman/Downie theor

Post by dbr »

Tampa Bay can ill afford to trade Hedman, he is maybe their best defenseman now and will be their only valuable defenseman in two or three years.

The rest of their defensemen are some combination of aging and terrible - this is a team that traded for Evan freaking Oberg and has him as their first call up - and they don't have many bright prospects on the blueline either.

(This is also why they play a trap and why their goaltending looks terrible.)
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

A suggestion:

Seems like your last three topics could have easily been combined into one thread, Farhan. They're all related and would be better under one banner of discussion, IMHO.

When you're starting a topic with "Sorry guys, I don't mean to keep harping...", it's usually a good sign you're going back to the same well for more.

edit: On topic, MG won't ask RL for a trade (proven track record on this). So unless you think Lui is knocking Gillis' door down...no.
Blaster86
CC Veteran

Post by Blaster86 »

Yzerman goes silent and hangs up. Calls Holland to share a laugh.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

farhan is this a rumor deal of make believe?
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Jovorock wrote:farhan is this a rumor deal of make believe?
lol.

It's just a trade idea of my own making.

I came up with it earlier today. A little while back when I suggested Luongo/Lecavlier, one for one, the common sentiment was that a deal like this would favor Tampa Bay way too much. This time around though, it looks like I swung the pendulum a little too far in the other direction, lol.

I like the idea of having Tampa as a trading partner though. Tampa needs some goaltending and they also have a few assets that could help the Canucks. Luongo and Hodgson should be able to fetch us something pretty good in Tampa. Again though, it's just open speculation. There is a 99% chance that Gillis won't trade Luongo this year and so it's a moot point.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Farhan = HjumammerRammer?

:wow:
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

mathonwy wrote:Farhan = HjumammerRammer?

I prefer Hjumomophobe.

He's gotta exist somewhere!
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

CFP! wrote:

I prefer Hjumomophobe.

He's gotta exist somewhere!

Hey guys,

Can I ask you a favor? Can you please keep these "one lined" non-hockey comments out of Canuckscorner please? Please feel free to comment if you have something topic related or constructive to say. Thank-you.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

How about make this thing even bigger?

All of Tampa's players except St Louis, Stamkos and Roloson for all of ours except Sedins/Schneider.

We also send our winter there and we get year round sunshine and the TB Bucs.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

dhabums wrote:How about make this thing even bigger?

All of Tampa's players except St Louis, Stamkos and Roloson for all of ours except Sedins/Schneider.

We also send our winter there and we get year round sunshine and the TB Bucs.
lol

But in all seriousness though, why do you automatically assume that 'blockbuster deals' are no longer capable of happening any more? (even if they're not very likely) On top of this, why do you choose to mock my post? (when I even specifically said that the chance of Gillis trading Lou is less than 1%).

I'm not saying that this trade will happen. All I am saying is that the Canucks and Tampa could make for excellent trading partners.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

The biggest flaw I see is your doing a whimsical major locker room shakeup of a tightly knit team that is winning right now. This isn't Philly where you have a country club atmosphere with leaders like Carter and Richards or LA with Doughty. The blockbuster trade isn't dead but change for the sake of change usually ends badly.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

It intrigues you because you live in a different world.

I'll take a 5.3 cap hit and Luongo as a back up before I pay Lecavalier 7.7 for a 3rd liner center.

There is the other big Swedish defenceman who is still young named Edler- he's working out just fine thanks.

Downie for Raymond, meh.

Farhan- for a guy who asked about having a separate forum for Canucks corner oldtimers don't you think that it's something you need to protect your ego? Perhaps a stronger application of logic before posting would improve the responses you get.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

LOL< Farhan digs a hole 500 feet deep... grabs a lawn chair and a big ol glass of lemonade! Sits back and watches people walk into the hole. It's like the pit in 300... only he doesn't have to kick you into it. :mrgreen:

Good job Farhan. Nice to see you still got it! :thumbs:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

ODB wrote:LOL< Farhan digs a hole 500 feet deep... grabs a lawn chair and a big ol glass of lemonade! Sits back and watches people walk into the hole. It's like the pit in 300... only he doesn't have to kick you into it. :mrgreen:

Good job Farhan. Nice to see you still got it! :thumbs:
Where the hell have you been?
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.