I Hate It.....

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

I Hate It.....

Post by Meds »

I was thinking about things I hate about the NHL, and there wasn't really a thread for it, and then one thing was really bugging me for some reason, so I figured I would go ahead and start a thread that is all about bitching about the NHL and all its shortcomings.

I was just looking at the standings, and ya know what, I still hate that fucking loser point.

We have as many wins as our rival over in Chicago, and in less games played. They have managed to lose more games than us, but in OT. They have more points. Over in the East, the Penguin's have actually won less games than us, but have one more point. It just pisses me off that the NHL continues to award a point to the team that loses. I could stomach it if the single point was awarded to a team that lost in the S/O, because that's just not one team beating another, it's just one player beating a goalie or a goalie beating a player, but come on. Make it a 10 minute OT period, start 5-on-5 for 5 minutes, then go 4-4 for 3 minutes, and then maybe go 3-on-3 for the last 2 minutes, and if there's still no winner call it a tie and each team splits the deuce.

Yeah, I really hate that loser point. :scowl:
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: I Hate It.....

Post by ukcanuck »

i hate the shoot out full stop.
what was wrong with a tie at the end of regulation if i remember correctly they brought it in during the dead puck era to stop trapping teams playing for the tie, but with all of the changes to counter the trap why can't we go back to the time honoured tie game
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

3 points for win in regulation
2 points for a win in OT or a SO
1 point for a tie

Its been said before but going to a 3 point game for all games makes sense. Games that go into OT will always award 3 points. That right there is the discrepancy that screws up standings.
The only HW the Canucks need
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

ukcanuck wrote:i hate the shoot out full stop.
what was wrong with a tie at the end of regulation if i remember correctly they brought it in during the dead puck era to stop trapping teams playing for the tie, but with all of the changes to counter the trap why can't we go back to the time honoured tie game
I'd get rid of the shootout if it were up to me. Here is a recap of what happened in history:

1) In the beginning, there was no overtime. (I read it somewhere, not 100% confirmed)
2) Then, they added overtime to reduce ties, but no loser point.
3) Then, I remember watching Don Cherry arguing for the OT loser point, something like "It breaks my heart to see teams that worked so hard to tie the game up late and ended up with nothing because they lost in overtime". (Why not just get rid of OT ??)
4) OT loser point was added. It did help increase offense and excitement. Not only that teams had nothing to lose in OT, they also had something to lose if neither team was able to score. A tie after OT benefited neither team, because it meant no 3-point game.

But now, the 3-point game is a reality as soon as regulation time ends. Teams have no incentive to break a tie in the 3rd period. They don't have as much incentive to score in OT as before. This is especially the case for the weaker teams, because their chance of winning by going to shootout is most likely higher than their chance of winning by playing a wide open game in OT. OT has become a little bit more boring and the points in the standings become less meaningful (because to most, the 2 points awarded to a SO win are too much). If they keep the shootout, I'd say make shootout wins worth at most 1.5 a point. (Or go to a 5-point win system, where RTW>OTW>SOW>SOL>OTL>RTL)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:3 points for win in regulation
1 point for a tie

Its been said before but going to a 3 point game for all games makes sense. Games that go into OT will always award 3 points. That right there is the discrepancy that screws up standings.
+1.

Although I have to say that I liked the Canucks not letting off the gas and going for the outright win vs. Montreal last night. They tied it up late, and as the road team coming from behind, certainly had every right to say "alright fellas, lets get'er into OT and win it there". Instead, they kept pushing and it resulted in some very open play both ways for the final minutes.

As for the standings, I know it's happened a few times recently (screwed Montreal a few years back and benefited Calgary) where teams with more Wins missed the playoffs because teams above them lost more in OT/SO. I can't really wrap my head around that. Make the standings strictly by wins. You have 52 wins, you're ahead of the guy with 51. Doesn't matter he lost more games in the OT/SO, because you WON more games. Use the OT/SO only as a tie-breaker if teams are tied in wins... that most certainly gives teams the motivation to win it in regulation.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

1 point for a tie

I like that. The only thing that I would change is getting rid of the SO completely. It is just plain stupid.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I'd hate to say I hate the shootout more than I hate the loser point.. although neither have a place in the game in my books.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

1 point for a tie

It would still bug me that a SO win is worth as much as an OT win.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

The 3 points for a win in the English Premiership has a down side. By the mid point of the season the top teams are often out of reach of most of the others. There's nothing to play for.
cheers
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I don't mind the shoot out because ties are so lame and unsatisfying.

How much would the standings at the end of the year change with HW's confusing points system? I'm guessing not very much. Keep it the way it is.
Last edited by herb on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I agree with Fred.

[Pause for dramatic effect :P]

I said this in another thread but I would guess that the difference in gate receipts for a team eliminated in late March as opposed to being eliminated in early January is significant - and there are probably more of those teams every year than there are teams jobbed by the loser point.

As for liking the shootout because it means no ties, there are other ways to decide the game that actually involve playing hockey - or at least to decide more games before having to resort to the skills comp.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

Fred wrote:The 3 points for a win in the English Premiership has a down side. By the mid point of the season the top teams are often out of reach of most of the others. There's nothing to play for.
Actually it's a different system there, because they allow ties. So some games are worth 3 points but a lot of games worth 2. Plus they have no salary cap and no entry draft, and it looks like they don't really care for parity.

The 3-point win system proposed by HW (and many others) would not create the same separation in standings, because all games would be worth 3 points.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

English Prem

3 points for a win and 1 point for a draw, 0 points if you lose.

Your point about the lack of parity and no wage Cap especially is huge, thank heavens the NHL has tackled that problem
cheers
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

I love the shoot out.

Granted it's a little weird in the context of the hockey game however, it is super entertaining and most people love it (even though most wont admit it).

Ties are fricken boring. I remember going to games under the old system and there was simply no comparison between the entertainment value of a game ending in a tie and a game with a shoot out at the end. During the regular season entertainment is by far the most important thing.

The only issue I have his the fact that 3 points are awarded when a game goes to OT. That IMO skews the regular season standings and could potentially factor into the playoff results.

If they went to the 3 point system I think I would be 100% happy.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I agree Pot; the regular season should be all about increasing the entertainment value. Shootouts are an entertaining way to end a game, ties are not.