Bill Sweatt Recalled: Oreo sent back

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Bill Sweatt Recalled: Oreo sent back

Post by wienerdog »

Asham would have been perfect, but too bad he wanted to stay out East.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Winchester was the first start of the game the other night in San Jose. I do not understand why he wasn't given a PTO here when a has been (Nolan) and never was (Fedoruk) were.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

wienerdog wrote:Granted, we wouldn't have needed him had we kept Glass, but I think MG believed he could truly improve on Mr whiff-on-an-empty-fucking-net-gimme-in-game-7.
It was game 5, but still, it was horrible.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Tootoo and Neil would do the trick for me to...but they ain't there so your Pro scouts need to find the next best, What Tootoo/Neil do is tell the opposition keep your head up. I'm wondering after signing Duco why did they bother...the little I've seen of him he looks like a Tootoo 3-4 years ago. Keeps the opposition on their toes and always finished his check.

I can't help but think AV keeps a real tight rein on his tough guys...although the Ripper managed to get into it. Ripper and Tootoo wouldn't look bad
cheers
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What is this love fest for Chris Neil? He's on his last legs.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Fred wrote: I'm wondering after signing Duco why did they bother...the little I've seen of him he looks like a Tootoo 3-4 years ago. Keeps the opposition on their toes and always finished his check.

I can't help but think AV keeps a real tight rein on his tough guys...although the Ripper managed to get into it. Ripper and Tootoo wouldn't look bad
I think Duco is still in the minors because while being a terrific agitator he doesn't have the ability to put out any of the fires he starts, nor do we have anyone to put these fires. He had a couple of teams completely incensed in preseason and if they can't fight Duco who will they fight/go after?

I believe now that the Canucks have no real interest in the asshole that this board covets. They had one last year in Torres and he did not mesh well with the team in any way according to HW. This is a purely skill based team that intends to take the other team down by using speed and hard work. The one gritty guy I always wanted but we never acquired was Lapperriere, he blocked shots with reckless abandon, put up around 140 PIMS and was still good for about 20-40ish pts per season.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I believe now that the Canucks have no real interest in the asshole that this board covets. They had one last year in Torres and he did not mesh well with the team in any way according to HW. This is a purely skill based team that intends to take the other team down by using speed and hard work.
It didn't work last year so are we going to have to repeat it again

I get that feeling to. I don't know if this is a player initiated thing or a MG....AV

The strange thing is MG brought in all these players with grit and then gets rid of them ( Hordichuk ) sends them to the minors ( Duco ) why bother bringing them in in the first place. Or are changed/influenced in their ways ( Burrows Kesler )Do they have to be accepted by the dressing room fraternity.

I know some are injured ( Volapatti Bitz Pizotto ) but really what does Volpatti actually add to the line up ? He gets his lunch handed to him by any one of above average stature.Hey maybe the Sedins are masochists :D it's a joke so don't reply
cheers
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Fred wrote:
I know some are injured ( Volapatti Bitz Pizotto ) but really what does Volpatti actually add to the line up ? He gets his lunch handed to him by any one of above average stature.Hey maybe the Sedins are masochists :D it's a joke so don't reply

Its hard to judge what Volpatti may bring since he had been playing injured all season. I expected more from him too but once he went under the knife we were told it was a nagging injury that just kept getting worse and he could no longer try playing through it. I think if healthy he would have brought more of that forecheck and toughness we need. I also think he would have been more willing to drop the gloves. So until he is healthy enough to play, next season, it will be really hard to judge if he has a spot on the 4th line.
The only HW the Canucks need
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Fred wrote:

Its hard to judge what Volpatti may bring since he had been playing injured all season. I expected more from him too but once he went under the knife we were told it was a nagging injury that just kept getting worse and he could no longer try playing through it. I think if healthy he would have brought more of that forecheck and toughness we need. I also think he would have been more willing to drop the gloves. So until he is healthy enough to play, next season, it will be really hard to judge if he has a spot on the 4th line.
If Volpatti can overcome his injuries, I can see him really blossoming as an effective 4th line player. He's not just a grunt. He has legitimate hockey skills and made some good hockey plays in his limited time on the ice.

RE Weise. I haven't seen anything from him to justify his position on the 4th line. Extremely replaceable.

RE Bitz. I liked the energy he brought when he was playing for the B's. I hope we get to see him play soon.

We really are blessed with the durability of the Sedins. They are probably the most punished first line in the league and yet, they are almost never injured.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Do you not think Volapatti is a little under sized for his role to gamble a season on. Especally when he's backed up by others of the same ilk. The kid did his best but like the rest of the team just not built for heavy lifting, in part it's why we suffer so many injuries IMO. I hope there's a chnage of heart before next April other wise i suspect his more of the same. If Boston do well again this year the pattern will be set for others for the future
cheers
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Fred wrote:It didn't work last year so are we going to have to repeat it again
Lol Freddy, you are always good for a chuckle.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Personally, I'm interested in the progression of Sawyer Hannay. Hopefully he can fill this role in the next year or 2.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Fred wrote:If Boston do well again this year the pattern will be set for others for the future
And then a second one. Thanks again. Remember when Anaheim won and everyone decided big and bad was the way to go? Then Detroit and Pittsburgh win. Then Boston, with the best goaltending season in recent history wins, and suddenly all we needed was Thornton.

I am curious Fred, if the Canucks won the Cup last year (you know, win ONE more game) would the entire NHL decide that skill, speed and diving was the way to win because the Bruins lost with size? Or would they just think, "holy shit, if we could get a Vezina winning, Conn Smythe winning goalie we could win the Cup?
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Fred wrote:Do you not think Volapatti is a little under sized for his role to gamble a season on. Especally when he's backed up by others of the same ilk. The kid did his best but like the rest of the team just not built for heavy lifting, in part it's why we suffer so many injuries IMO. I hope there's a chnage of heart before next April other wise i suspect his more of the same. If Boston do well again this year the pattern will be set for others for the future
Our size needs to be in our top 9 and in our top 4. Is our 4th line going to go up against the Lucic, Krejci, Horton line? No they are not.

Booth coming on and the creation of the Amex line has been a godsend for our top 9.

It really is our D that needs the size.

Hamhuis at 6'1, 210, is a solid D man but he is seriously lacking in size.
Old man Salo at 6'3, 212, is big but he gets injured when he sneezes wrong.
Bieksa at 6'1, 200 is snarly but is even smaller than Hamhuis.
Edler at 6'3, 215 is our biggest defenseman in our top 4 but still, only 215lbs.

Ballard, Alberts, Rome round out our bottom 6. But they are top 6 D, not top 4.

In a seven game series, you need a defenseman that can absorb the 6'4, 220lb Lucic forecheck. Or the 6'5, 265lb Fugly forecheck. Or the 6'4, 220lb Getzlaf forecheck. This is where our team gets banged up the most and why our D seems to always get injured. The key is Shea Weber at 6'4, 230lb.

Our 4th line needs to be relentless and high energy. That's all they need to do. They need to be able to dump the puck into the opponent's zone and eat up 2 minutes of rest time. Volpatti can fight, he can control the puck and 6'1, 215 is not bad.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

mathonwy wrote: Volpatti can fight, he can control the puck and 6'1, 215 is not bad.
I see a lot of potential in Volpatti. I see him turning into a consistently solid fighter, we've already seen him rock a few guys, combined with an improving skill set. Can skate, hit and has decent size. The kid is just getting his bearings. I wouldn't be surprised to see him down the road playing on the 3rd line.

It's this Useless Weise that I want to see outta here, shitty fighter like Oreskovich and too polite. We need a nastier piece of business in his spot. Weise is Oreskovich the 2nd.

We need some sort of Poor mans Pronger or Weber in that 6th spot on defense, tough as nails but can play half way decent. Alberts is big but is about as mean as Oreskovich and Weise are mean. Rome, same thing.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau