Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media" (or "Idiots" as Torts calls them)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

So I’ve read JD Burke’s drivel online before, but this morning was the first time I’ve ever heard the man’s voice in an interview on the radio. This cat is more bitter than Dan Russell after John Shorthouse got the pbp gig back in the day. He has a serious axe to grind with Canucks management.

He feels the Canucks haven’t improved at all this summer and that the bottom two lines are garbage. I’m not sold that the team is a contender but they are certainly better. You’d have to be a real cynical prick to not believe that.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

That’s just weird. I have questions about the chemistry and how the top two lines will turn out and if they will score enough, but the bottom two lines played effectively together last year. They didn’t score a ton, but they could play big minutes without hurting the team defensively. I see their bottom six as a strength that lots of other teams don’t have. They have good speed and check hard. They can be thrown out against most lines and not hurt the team.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The thing is with the recent acquisitions, that will bump a couple guys like Virtanen and Roussel when he gets healthy, down the lineup. It’s a deeper group.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:25 am So I’ve read JD Burke’s drivel online before, but this morning was the first time I’ve ever heard the man’s voice in an interview on the radio. This cat is more bitter than Dan Russell after John Shorthouse got the pbp gig back in the day. He has a serious axe to grind with Canucks management.

He feels the Canucks haven’t improved at all this summer and that the bottom two lines are garbage. I’m not sold that the team is a contender but they are certainly better. You’d have to be a real cynical prick to not believe that.
Totally. This dude is not a Canucks fan. The readers over at Canucks Army still constantly take shots at him for flushing their fan site into the toilet. Him and his minions are more negative than Gallagher during his time of the month. It's like they love to troll their own site... in fact, their own contributing writers (and maybe even themselves) have tons of socks that troll their own comment section with ridiculous, vile spew.

They will always find ways to be contrarians no matter what the team does. It's probably because their predecessor was hired by the Panthers but none of them can get NHL jobs.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hank wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:57 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:25 am So I’ve read JD Burke’s drivel online before, but this morning was the first time I’ve ever heard the man’s voice in an interview on the radio. This cat is more bitter than Dan Russell after John Shorthouse got the pbp gig back in the day. He has a serious axe to grind with Canucks management.

Totally. This dude is not a Canucks fan. The readers over at Canucks Army still constantly take shots at him for flushing their fan site into the toilet. Him and his minions are more negative than Gallagher during his time of the month. It's like they love to troll their own site... in fact, their own contributing writers (and maybe even themselves) have tons of socks that troll their own comment section with ridiculous, vile spew.

They will always find ways to be contrarians no matter what the team does. It's probably because their predecessor was hired by the Panthers but none of them can get NHL jobs.
There’s a place for analytics in hockey. But the way these knobs go on and on similar to the idiots at hfboards one would think it’s the be all end all. I agree there are a lot of these nerds just twisted that they can’t land an NHL gig just because they can read a spreadsheet. It’s hilarious.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Right now, as we speak, 650am is going on and on about the LE situation. Getting right into how it's gonna split the team, sending him to Utica,
wondering how his team mates feel. airing the fans negativity...
There is no-way all goes back to business as usual now.
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

micky107 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:17 am Right now, as we speak, 650am is going on and on about the LE situation. Getting right into how it's gonna split the team, sending him to Utica,
Keeping Loui has a better chance of disrupting the group than moving him out.

Players get that it's a business, it's why they all want a NTC, to prevent themselves from being a casualty of a business decision. But you won't see a ton of lost love and respect for a teammate who whines in the press, and then his agent goes on record saying he needs to be elsewhere. Agents who do that sort of thing without the blessing of their client are often soon looking for new clients.

Most players are gonna look at Loui and see a guy who hasn't produced in 3 seasons, despite being given opportunity to succeed early on, now whining about his reduced responsibility and pointing at the coach as the reason. It's all in to be successful, and a whiny passenger isn't going to be overly welcome.

The only way moving Loui out would split the team would be if it meant packaging up someone else to make it happen. It's management basically saying that hey we have to get rid of this boat anchor that nobody likes, and we consider so-and-so to be nothing more than fodder to make it happen.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Ryan Biech a hockey analyst and stats guy who started writing with CanucksArmy and moved on to various hockey writing sites, has been hired by the Canucks to be their Video Analyst, Hockey Analytics guy.

:thumbs:
Last edited by SKYO on Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

micky107 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:17 am Right now, as we speak, 650am is going on and on about the LE situation. Getting right into how it's gonna split the team, sending him to Utica,
Speaking more generally, I posted some links to articles on escrow the other day and how the players decision to limit the cap increase to .5% is causing a rift between the players......

For those already under contract it was to their benefit and to those looking for new contracts it was a hindrance...

Makes you think that if the players regret the decision to lower cap increase this year and decide to maximize it next year then this would have been a good year to spend monies on free agents...

A return to historical cap increases next year also helps the Canucks with their cap situation....

As for Erikkson and the dressing room, I don't see it as a problem....If anything I could see some players resentful over his contract and lack of production if they see it as effecting their situation in any way....

Your post and Rats attack on me personally this morning by accusing me of being an arrogant SOB made me think of this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIpREvWtl70

lol

Take care...
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

JP Barry is on the air saying things you don’t hear often in the media. I think he is desperate. I think he has been told his client is likely on his way to Utica unless some other team will take him without giving up other assets. Now he is floating that the Canucks need to take someone equally bad back to make a deal happen. No, they don’t. They can just waive him. It is up to JP to find someone to take Eriksson, not the Canucks. They can do whatever they want. This idea that sending him to Utica will hurt his teammates feelings is just silly. At least JP is keeping his clients name in the media. Who knows, maybe someone will take him with an insignificant sweetener like Schaller or Goldobin, but JP has his work cut out for himself.
Last edited by Cherry Picker on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:06 am
Hank wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:57 am

There’s a place for analytics in hockey. But the way these knobs go on and on similar to the idiots at hfboards one would think it’s the be all end all. I agree there are a lot of these nerds just twisted that they can’t land an NHL gig just because they can read a spreadsheet. It’s hilarious.
Finally, a CA contributor has cracked the Canucks and gotten an NHL job with the local team.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... ics-stable

Ryan Biech was the successor of JD Burke at CA and is one of the only guys there who tried to be somewhat objective without being smarmy and overly negative. He did some solid analytics work and that's probably why he got hired and the other guys are still looking/dreaming for NHL work.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Chef Boi RD is not a fan of JD Burke, Halford and Brough know this well from Chef Boi. JD is tight with Halford and Brough, but even they have raised concerns for JD and the perception the listeners have on him, which is “he comes across as very negative”, stuck on his Benning Hate narrative and is becoming incapable of being objective when it comes to Benning. Some refer to JD Burke as Joyful Disposition Burke
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:45 am Ryan Biech a hockey analyst and stats guy who started writing with CanucksArmy and moved on to various hockey writing sites, has been hired by the Canucks to be their Video Analyst, Hockey Analytics guy.

:thumbs:
Ryan Biech
‏@ryanbiech

Beyond excited to announce that I will be joining the @Canucks in the role of Video Analyst, Hockey Analytics.
Thankful for the opportunity that Jim Benning and the Hockey Operations team have given me and can't wait to get to work.
9:14 AM - 12 Jul 2019
https://twitter.com/ryanbiech/status/11 ... 1230850049
"evolution"
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

rikster wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:46 am
Speaking more generally, I posted some links to articles on escrow the other day and how the players decision to limit the cap increase to .5% is causing a rift between the players......

For those already under contract it was to their benefit and to those looking for new contracts it was a hindrance...

Makes you think that if the players regret the decision to lower cap increase this year and decide to maximize it next year then this would have been a good year to spend monies on free agents...

A return to historical cap increases next year also helps the Canucks with their cap situation....

As for Erikkson and the dressing room, I don't see it as a problem....If anything I could see some players resentful over his contract and lack of production if they see it as effecting their situation in any way....

Your post and Rats attack on me personally this morning by accusing me of being an arrogant SOB made me think of this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIpREvWtl70

lol

Take care...
What did I say rikster?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Rats, you arrogant SOB! How dare you attack rikster, our voice of reason(able insanity)!

:lol:

Coles notes: rikster and nuckertuzzi tangled, then Reefer passive/aggressive took a swipe at the ster.

Rats... Reef... it's easy to get you two mixed up :wink: