Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media" (or "Idiots" as Torts calls them)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rockalt
MVP
MVP

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by rockalt »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: More Karen Surman and Sattiar Shah and less Taylor and Macdonald and Jake etc
This. It's time for a changing of the guard. When Blake Price and Matt Sekeres are the youngest hosts on your network, you've got a major lack of representation. I wouldn't care if there was diversity of opinion and ability but it's getting tired fast. I used to like Taylor years ago in the sports page and even sportsnet years. Obviously it's difficult to not sound repetitive while hosting a daily four hour show but I think it's time to move on. The afternoon show has become awful.

I've been listening a lot more to the morning show after they gave Sat a bigger role. He actually makes a lot of sense. I enjoy hearing Karen's opinion too but she is barely on so it's hard to say in the long run. Sekeres and Price are okay. Can be annoying but they are a step above the rest.

I mostly listen for the guests. Finally they started making guest interviews available in their podcast downloads and ad free versions. Long time coming!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

It kills me when listening to Jim Rome, and comparing his show to the local crap (or even/especially the Canada-wide crap).

Rome does a 3 hour show, provides actually interesting analysis of the previous night's big games, this year he was even breaking down SCF games, has different guests all the time for whom he is prepared and asks insightful questions, gets audience participation - and forces the clones to not call in with garbage - and he does it 5 days on top of a tv show.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

You can't compare Rome to the local idiots.

He gets Joe Montana and Bill Cowher for guests the local tards get Mitch Berger and Wally Buono

As an aside Boomer Esiason has a real good talk show out of NY , they actually talk a fair bit of hockey

I can't listen to the local idiots for more than a few minutes. Taylor and Marjanovich are now doing some skit where they pinch their noses and talk in weird voices at 5:00. Good times ... and that Ryan Henderson nerd giggles throughout the show.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
BladesofSteel
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by BladesofSteel »

Is Boomer on Sirius, Blob?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

BladesofSteel wrote:Is Boomer on Sirius, Blob?
I'm not sure BOS . I picked him up online when I listened in the past
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:You can't compare Rome to the local idiots.

He gets Joe Montana and Bill Cowher for guests the local tards get Mitch Berger and Wally Buono
Very true. However, I actually enjoy Rome's takes on the previous night's events/news/athletes behaving badly. Also, his audience participation is hilarious.

But obviously, the cream rises to the top when it comes to a nationally-syndicated sports show versus airtime fillers in Vancouver.

Rome actually got big into the SC playoffs this year, which was awesome. Even though he's not the most knowledgeable hockey guy, his takes were no less insightful than the garbage on Team 1040.
Zedlee
CC Veteran

Post by Zedlee »

I can't listen to the local idiots for more than a few minutes. Taylor and Marjanovich are now doing some skit where they pinch their noses and talk in weird voices at 5:00. Good times ... and that Ryan Henderson nerd giggles throughout the show.
Agreed. What bugs me about Taylor and Moj is all the childish teasing, insults, digs etc. that pass between them. As if anyone wants to listen to two supposed adults trade barbs and jabs over idiotic things. Talk sports guys and leave the rest alone!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yeah Romey is pretty funny sometimes. I also like Dan and the Danettes as well.
olpaddy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:Is Boomer on Sirius, Blob?
I'm not sure BOS . I picked him up online when I listened in the past
Boomer is on WFAN NY CBS affiliate... His show is with Craig Carthon its the Grand Daddy of all sports Radio for me Im more of a Steve Sommers overnight sorta guy... The all sports radio phenomenon has sorta run its course for me I think the On air personality in his 50s who enjoys playing golf who thinks athletes are greedy and need to be role models i'm sorta over it... cause all the takes are the same..

Some NY fun for ya Blob
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol that's gold Padraig
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

DavidPratt_ wrote:
Soapy wrote:Dave....I love you. Good and great .............and bad.
You are not the morning show.... I hear in your voice that you are holding back??
So Bro Jake is the smart guy?/?? let him be the FM guy.,....dummy up on the smarts
Please out smart him
Please be the smart guy...the info guy...
I change the channel...you are talking about fucking beatles music or some stupid shit???
Talk about today...you lead a great life..today...leather pants included...\
On Monday I want to hear Seahawks.....not.....who can talk like a fucking pirate
SOAP....CAN'T SAY MUCH EXCEPT THAT WHEN YOU'RE NOT THE 'HEADLINER' AND INSTEAD THE 'PALLY-WALLY' ON A SHOW, YOU CAN'T FIRE ON ALL CYLINDERS...IT IS WHAT IT IS. WORKING OUT THE KINKS KEEP TUNING IN....IT'S EARLY DAYS...AND JAKE IS A LOT BETTER THAN WORKING FOR A STATION WHERE HALF YOUR AUDIENCE REMEMBERS WORLD WAR 2 AND HAVING TO BUY WAR BONDS.

DP
Lurker
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Pratt is the biggest idiot, trouble maker, troll, just plain ass, I have ever heard.
I will give credit to Gillis for getting rid of him for a while.
I wish Benning and Linden would do the same right now.
Ya just feel like sluggin the guy in the head. :evil:
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I don't mind Pratt these days, used to hate him but he's toned it down since his return. 1040 needs to do something about the afternoon show and All Things 1970's - Don Taylor
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

As an aside Boomer Esiason has a real good talk show out of NY , they actually talk a fair bit of hockey

American sycophant wannabe blob snob

Jim Rome, and ilk are fine for about 5 minutes, but do I give a fuck about American sports leagues beyond which ever franchise in whichever league has the national spotlight for 5 minutes.

Nope. News flash, sports is a local pastime.

Canucks lions whitecaps Seahawks blowjays and the NHL.

How much does Jim Rome or Dan Patrick or who ever talk about or have in depth analysis or relevant guests
To do with above list? Exactly.

Therefore, lay off the locals you insult spewfest.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

ukcanuck wrote:

American sycophant wannabe blob snob

Jim Rome, and ilk are fine for about 5 minutes, but do I give a fuck about American sports leagues beyond which ever franchise in whichever league has the national spotlight for 5 minutes.

Nope. News flash, sports is a local pastime.

Canucks lions whitecaps Seahawks blowjays and the NHL.

How much does Jim Rome or Dan Patrick or who ever talk about or have in depth analysis or relevant guests
To do with above list? Exactly.

Therefore, lay off the locals you insult spewfest.
Ya with ya there. I could care less about Lebron or who the 3rd string point guard is at Texas state.
If you need air...call it in