Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media" (or "Idiots" as Torts calls them)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:07 pm
Cornuck wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:37 pm Someone mentioned a few years back to read Topper's posts in this guy's voice...
Did that someone look anything like this?

Fuckin rum bum. We need to wreck that home and get our buddy out of pussy prison
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:09 am Fuckin rum bum. We need to wreck that home and get our buddy out of pussy prison
Yeah, come on guys, who's with us!

Rummy would do it for you...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Just when I thought 1040am was improving, the all time, (or close) sour grapes morning show ever!!!

https://post.futurimedia.com/ckstam/pla ... 762.885422 just keep pressing stuff and you'll get to it.

They will not be getting Canucks guests after this one. They were starting to.

Benning gets a new contract and they trashed it. Bias !!! And there was a time I though Kathy was cool.

And now, only to be fair, 650am
https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/sportsnets ... ng-lineup/
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The 1040 mindset is heavily influenced by by a circle of Benning Haters/Gillis Lovers - Sekeres, Price, Patterson, Halford and Brough and Henderson. The ringleader Botch was a major player who was tight with the Athletic who hate Benning and are tight with the HF Benning Haters. Gallagher is like the Cigarette Smoking Man the go-between Gillis, the one who pulls the strings of that mindset
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:17 am The 1040 mindset is heavily influenced by by a circle of Benning Haters/Gillis Lovers - Sekeres, Price, Patterson, Halford and Brough and Henderson. The ringleader Botch was a major player who was tight with the Athletic who hate Benning and are tight with the HF Benning Haters. Gallagher is like the Cigarette Smoking Man the go-between Gillis, the one who pulls the strings of that mindset
Hey Dude, check your private messages goldarnit!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

TSN>>Halford: Canucks must have a top-10 offense to make playoffs
Radio from earlier today; https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1356092
"evolution"
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

micky107 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:21 pm .
TSN>>Halford: Canucks must have a top-10 offense to make playoffs
Radio from earlier today; https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1356092
They need to be in the top 10 in offense!

Or not.

This is quintessential long-days-of-summer hockey analysis. Taking positions to debate them.

The way to win games and get points is to score more than your opponent. This isn't a secret.

And while goals scored and given up are broken down into 60-65 minute increments to determine points, for the most part, the goal differential is the stat that is the best indicator of whether a team will make the playoffs. Not goals for or goals against -- but both -- the delta.

There are 31 teams in the league. 16 make the playoffs. The median NHL team makes the playoffs. The average goal differential is zero. (The median is something else -- last season it was +13).

Number of teams in 2018-19 that gave up more goals than they scored and made the playoffs: ZERO.
Number of teams in 2018-19 that scored more goals than they gave up and made the playoffs: ONE (congratulations Montreal!)
Number of teams in 2018-19 that had a below the median goal differential and made the playoffs: ONE.
Number of teams in 2018-19 that were above the median goal differential and missed the playoffs: ZERO.

If the Canucks were a top 10 goal scoring team last season (35 more goals), they'd have scored more goals than they gave up. But just being in the top 10 for scoring won't get you in the playoffs if you can't keep the puck out of the net (see Chicago, Florida).

Point is, scoring goals is relative to keeping puck out of the net. No shock.

And it isn't a bad observation to say, hey, if the Canucks want to make the playoffs, they need to improve their goal differential by about 35 (which is what they would have had if they had a top 10 offense). But it isn't all on the offense. And for the past several years, the Canucks have been trying to address that offense, improving that personnel, while not addressing a defense that was equally inept (or more so). This off season, they addressed both offense and defense, and I would think positively at each: on offense, adding Miller and Ferland while subtracting Granlund and ?'; on defense adding Myers, Benn, and Hughes, subtracting Gudbrandson, Hutton, and Puliot; in goal, having a finally league average starter (who might improve or regress) and substituting a top prospect goalie for a never-to-be-starter-caliber backup.

So why put all the emphasis on scoring goals? I guess because the summer is long.
Hono_rary Canadian
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Good post! You explain yourself very well.

I remember hearing ole Howie Meeker lament: "You just cant win if you dont get the cotton picking puck into the net." (so simple, yet so true) Amen Howie, RIP.
cc oldtimer
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

nuckster wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:57 pm Good post! You explain yourself very well.

I remember hearing ole Howie Meeker lament: "You just cant win if you dont get the cotton picking puck into the net." (so simple, yet so true) Amen Howie, RIP.
Wait...stop right there....howies dead?
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:00 pm
nuckster wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:57 pm Good post! You explain yourself very well.

Wait...stop right there....howies dead?
Stop it right there! Back it up!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Jumpin Jehoshaphat!!!
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I remember the key to scoring is shooting the puck at the net.

Shot the puck, shot the puck.

He is not wrong.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:18 pm Jumpin Jehoshaphat!!!
Golly gee willikers!!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

“He went around him like a hoop around a barrel”
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”