Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media" (or "Idiots" as Torts calls them)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Puck wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:27 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:26 pm Its the cotton wrapping of feelings that has destroyed society.

The world needs a legit evil antagonist to come along and show people what an asshole really looks like. No more bearded weirdos peeking out of caves and IEDing shit from afar.

A tyrant to unite us all
I believe there is some truth in this. The last significant conflict we endured was the Korean War over 50 years ago. For the most part, we are living a life of luxury leaving us plenty of free time to bicker and squabble about stuff that's generally insignificant. We owe much of our lifestyle to those who served. It's interesting that the freedom they gave us has provided us with a life so lacking in strife that we have time to dissect an 85-year-old's comments on symbolic poppies.

But.... (you were on a roll, Brown)
The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:33 pm This is the agenda mainstream media is pushing but I really am pretty sure he could give a fuck what you look like if you're BUYING A FUCKING POPPY!!!!!
I believe this to be true.

I also think the one thing we can do in our cozy little lives is wear a poppy to help retain a sense of awareness of those who served. As each generation passes, there is a diminished direct link to the wars and a decreasing sense of obligation to wear the poppy. If we don't make the effort, the visibility of the tradition will fade and we'll find that only the elderly are participating. I don't even think it's critical that you donate, just put on a poppy. It's a constant visual cue to everyone to remember. It's the least we can do, isn't it?
Good post. Our opinions are aligned on this Puck....

A seemingly insignificant act like wearing a symbol of respect for the fallen that sacrificed everything is the absolute least we can do.
If you need air...call it in
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:23 pm A seemingly insignificant act like wearing a symbol of respect for the fallen that sacrificed everything is the absolute least we can do.
This sums it up well.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Puck wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:27 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:26 pm Its the cotton wrapping of feelings that has destroyed society.

The world needs a legit evil antagonist to come along and show people what an asshole really looks like. No more bearded weirdos peeking out of caves and IEDing shit from afar.

A tyrant to unite us all
I believe there is some truth in this. The last significant conflict we endured was the Korean War over 50 years ago. For the most part, we are living a life of luxury leaving us plenty of free time to bicker and squabble about stuff that's generally insignificant. We owe much of our lifestyle to those who served. It's interesting that the freedom they gave us has provided us with a life so lacking in strife that we have time to dissect an 85-year-old's comments on symbolic poppies.

But.... (you were on a roll, Brown)
The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:33 pm This is the agenda mainstream media is pushing but I really am pretty sure he could give a fuck what you look like if you're BUYING A FUCKING POPPY!!!!!
I believe this to be true.

I also think the one thing we can do in our cozy little lives is wear a poppy to help retain a sense of awareness of those who served. As each generation passes, there is a diminished direct link to the wars and a decreasing sense of obligation to wear the poppy. If we don't make the effort, the visibility of the tradition will fade and we'll find that only the elderly are participating. I don't even think it's critical that you donate, just put on a poppy. It's a constant visual cue to everyone to remember. It's the least we can do, isn't it?
I wear mine for a week or 2 :wink:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle wears his tutu for a week or two after.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Please, @TheSocialCTV do the right thing and fire this idiot. #FireJessAllen
https://twitter.com/eaglestalk_/status/ ... 8292037633

Yuck to the inth degree ! IMHO; She is one of those people.
"evolution"
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Puck wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:27 am a constant visual cue to everyone to remember. It's the least we can do, isn't it?
Wrong kind of virtue-signaling these days. Only ‘progressive’ symbols (pick a color of ribbon, but rainbow hits the big ones and gets you extra ‘virtue’ points) are approved by the current regime’s clucking coterie like Gerald “sucks SNC-Lavalin’s” Butts.

Don’t you get it, Puck? The only conflict worth recognizing is the one against ‘privilege’... and we’re the enemy.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

micky107 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:23 pm
Please, @TheSocialCTV do the right thing and fire this idiot. #FireJessAllen
https://twitter.com/eaglestalk_/status/ ... 8292037633

Yuck to the inth degree ! IMHO; She is one of those people.
You mean she’s a Torontonian? What else would you expect from a pig but a grunt?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

So, restingbitchface gets off saying only white people who are bullies play hockey and is ok because sports net says ' the views of restingbitchface, not the broadcaster' and don gets massacred??!?

So, white guys who are politically incorrect for word choices get fired and women who are politically incorrect for word choices are treated different? How is that equal for everyone?

What the fuck is wrong with our society.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:12 am So, restingbitchface gets off saying only white people who are bullies play hockey and is ok because sports net says ' the views of restingbitchface, not the broadcaster' and don gets massacred??!?

So, white guys who are politically incorrect for word choices get fired and women who are politically incorrect for word choices are treated different? How is that equal for everyone?

What the fuck is wrong with our society.
They never should have let women vote...now look!
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/ ... pes-corner
'DISGUSTING': Bobby Orr blasts firing of 'good man' Don Cherry

“He got fired on Remembrance Day. That is just wrong,” said Orr of Cherry’s dismissal from Hockey Night in Canada by Rogers Sportsnet.

“This whole thing is unbelievable. Don Cherry is a good man and to do this to him is disgusting.”

“To throw him under the bus like this is wrong,” said the former Boston Bruins great.

“And for his partner to do it as well. Shame on him.”

Like Cherry, Orr is disappointed Coach’s Corner co-host Ron MacLean buckled to corporate pressures to issue an apology that included saying, “Don made comments that were hurtful and prejudiced.”

This came after MacLean offered a thumbs-up on air and said “That’s why we love you.”

Orr is of the view that Cherry’s awkward wording was taken out of context and turned against him to destroy him.

“I know what he was saying. We all know what he was saying. He was saying we should buy a poppy. All of us,” said the pride of Parry Sound, now a player representative.

“Don loves our great game. Next to his family the most important people in his life are the military, the police, firefighters and paramedics. He is no bigot. After 38 years on television, if you haven’t figured out Don Cherry, there’s nothing I can do.”

In fact, the legendary defenceman said he is the opposite of a bigot.

“You have no idea the stuff he does for people that nobody knows about,” said Orr. “Don is one most generous people I know.”

While there is definitely a movement relishing Cherry’s downfall, there are far more hockey fans who understand this is an unnecessary career and legacy assassination attempt.

Orr doesn’t think it’s going to work.

“Don Cherry is going to be just fine,” he said.

He also feels the character assassination against Grapes is repugnant.

"I don’t want anything more to happen to him.”

And neither do most hockey people.

“I have never had more calls on anything. Down here in the United States it’s all impeaching the president and up there it’s all impeaching Don Cherry,” said Orr. “The hockey players love Don. And they respect him.”

The fact the establishment turned on him for encouraging people to wear poppies is “discouraging and disappointing.”

All of it, said Orr, was unnecessary.

“And it is definitely unfair.”
:thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Image :thumbs:
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Bobby Orr = God
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Orr is the greatest player I have ever seen play hockey.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:19 pm Orr is the greatest player I have ever seen play hockey.
That’s what my Dad used to say. I saw him play as a 6 year old kid in the Canada Cup and as a member of the Chicago Blackhawks in 78/79. I think it may have even been his last game. He was on gimped knees by then but he was still one of the best players out there.

The best players I have ever seen are Wayne and Mario. Nobody close to them imho. I think if Eric Lindros has learned to keep his head up he could have been close.

Cherry is a clown and has been for years but the guy is an institution and this was a bullshit reason to fire him. The reality is he should have retired five years ago. Some of the old pricks don’t know when to go away. I’m looking at you Bob Cole, Brian Williams, Tony Parsons.

Vin Scully is the best baseball announcer that ever was. I think he could still call a game in his 90’s. Bob Costas was damn good. Al Michaels. Then you have dorks like Harry Carey who wont leave. The good ones know when to pack it in.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

rats19 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:42 pm I wear mine for a week or 2 :wink:
You’re supposed to wear it from Nov 1, to Nov 11, 11am where upon you stop what the fuck your doing and stand still for a minute of silence. Then you’re supposed to take it off and go down to the local legion and buy a round.

That’s what you’re supposed to do...