Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Potatoe1 »

herb wrote:If Carle can play the right side than that's definitely a bit of a game changer. This is Ballard's biggest deficiency IMO.

Doesn't Carle play with Pronger? Haven't they been fairly productive together? Why would Holmgrem break up that duo?

As much as I think this is just another junk rumor it's actually totally on the right track.

The player the Canucks should be looking to move right now is Keith Ballard, and the type of player they should be trying to bring in is a puck moving, second pairing type, that can play the right side and help the second unit power play.

Right now the main weakness I see on the team is the lack of durability on the right side of the blue line. If the Canucks could move Ballard and bring in a guy capable of covering for Salo or Bieksa the team is far stronger heading into the playoffs.

Other then tinkering with the 4th line I don't see much weakness with this club.

A trade for a Matt Carl type defenseman + a good physical 4th liner who can play. probably puts us in the pole position for another trip to the final.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Of course all of this depends upon the extent of Edler's injury does it not?
The only HW the Canucks need
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

herb wrote:
Fred wrote:herb, I do not re read my posts, waste of time. You know who i mean and the gist of my post so don't try and stir it and splt hairs. I some times post with out doing long historical check ups and my memory is not as good as it used to be....deal with it. Just out of interest do u actuall get satisfacation from correcting others...are u a school teacher maybe ? :D
So while you're barking at me to reread your posts, you can't even remember what you said or be bothered to check? :?

It's not splitting hairs when you clearly said you would sit Booth ahead of Weise and Ebbett. There was no reading between the lines required there. Not liking Booth is one thing. Saying you would sit him so you can play fringe NHlers is a whole other. Thankfully AV disagrees as that second line is starting to click and looks good.

BTW, I get satisfaction out of stimulating, intelligent conversation. This one is hardly satisfying. I'm done discussing Booth with you.
Whoa whoa whoa... we really should find out what Shane O'Brien has to say about the subject first before ending the conversation.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Why in the hell would Philly be trading their #2 D-man (in terms of minutes)? Pry him out is right because you are going to need to seriously overpay. He's a 35-40 point 20+ minute guy making $3.5 mil. I understand he's an UFA after this season but it makes very little sense for the Flyers to move him during the year.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

tantalum wrote:Why in the hell would Philly be trading their #2 D-man (in terms of minutes)? I understand he's an UFA after this season but it makes very little sense for the Flyers to move him during the year.
Was just coming here to say the same.

Carle and Pronger have made a good duo altho Pronger is still going to be out for a bit Carle looks to be on pace or maybe even exceeding his career high in points. (42).

I see CoHo has been proposed on HFboards which is rediculous. There is now way GMMG would give up on Cody for a lesser defenseman than Bieksa and would have to be younger and cheaper.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

CFP! wrote:
tantalum wrote:Why in the hell would Philly be trading their #2 D-man (in terms of minutes)? I understand he's an UFA after this season but it makes very little sense for the Flyers to move him during the year.
Was just coming here to say the same.

Carle and Pronger have made a good duo altho Pronger is still going to be out for a bit Carle looks to be on pace or maybe even exceeding his career high in points. (42).

I see CoHo has been proposed on HFboards which is rediculous. There is now way GMMG would give up on Cody for a lesser defenseman than Bieksa-like and would have to be younger and cheaper.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

tantalum wrote:Why in the hell would Philly be trading their #2 D-man (in terms of minutes)? Pry him out is right because you are going to need to seriously overpay. He's a 35-40 point 20+ minute guy making $3.5 mil. I understand he's an UFA after this season but it makes very little sense for the Flyers to move him during the year.
I've been wondering the same through this speculation.

If there is one thing we fans should know about GMMG by now. We won't have a sniff of a rumour about the trade before it happens.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I'd love it if MG can move Baltard, never been a fan of him, although I'd say he has played a bit better this season. I dunno about Matt Carle, think I'd stay away from him. If anything, I'd like to see the Nucks add 1 muscle D-man and 1 true power. I still think we can use a big, mean, physical, shut-down D-man in the back like a Bryan Allen/Reghr type. Up front, I'd luv to see a true power forward like Shane Doan/Lucic type. Booth just doesn't cut it for me, think I liked Samuelsson more than that guy. *LOL*
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Topper wrote:If there is one thing we fans should know about GMMG by now. We won't have a sniff of a rumour about the trade before it happens.
^^ this.

We never see trades coming from MG, and they are usually for players that are unexpected.

The simple fact that this is being openly discussed in forums makes it very unlikely to happen, IMO.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

wienerdog wrote:
Topper wrote:If there is one thing we fans should know about GMMG by now. We won't have a sniff of a rumour about the trade before it happens.
^^ this.

We never see trades coming from MG, and they are usually for players that are unexpected.

The simple fact that this is being openly discussed in forums makes it very unlikely to happen, IMO.

No kidding! It gets harder and harder to get anything solid nowadays. I try but mostly what I get is poop. How I miss the days of Nonis and Burkie :D :D
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Do the leaks from the Nonis/Burke era have anything to do with Dave's cousin HW?
RespectYourEdlers
CC Rookie

Post by RespectYourEdlers »

Regarding Matt Carle:

Pass. We need a more defensive type of defensemen that we can reply upon when Salo gets hurt. Alas, Salo is hurt, and who steps up into his place? The struggling, coach has no confidence in me, Keith Ballard. I backed Ballard all of last year, and this year as well, but it's getting hard to back up his play without getting people snickering at you. We could use say a Francois Beauchemin to an extent, that when Salo is healthy, can play on the third pairing, but can be looked upon by AV to play top 4 minutes.

Salo goes down, like tonight, is everyone fairly comfortable sticking Ballard to the wolves so to speak? The reason I'm saying that is because this is a situation where if Ballard screws up numerous times, it's magnified 10x since he's playing in a more important position. Screw ups will get noticed much more, and will be costly since he would be playing against more skilled players.

It's not worth throwing the farm for Matt Carle, when we have Hamhuis, Edler, Salo (when healthy), and Bieksa (chipping in lately) producing offense from the defense to help out. Carle isn't even that great defensively, hence why Pronger is there. Carle would honestly, be 3rd pairing in my books. No worth it, for me at least.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

BladesofSteel wrote:Do the leaks from the Nonis/Burke era have anything to do with Dave's cousin HW?

No, never met the man. I mean I think he gets his share of insider info and probably more so now but I have never met him.

The Burkie/Nonis regime was full of loose lips. More so Burkie, loves to talk and be the centre of a table. Nonis more so because he does not instil the fear of gawd in anyone who talks out of school. He himself seemed very selective in who he would talk to but Burkie would spin a story for the privilege of just having an audience.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RespectYourEdlers wrote:Regarding Matt Carle:

Pass. We need a more defensive type of defensemen that we can reply upon when Salo gets hurt. Alas, Salo is hurt, and who steps up into his place? The struggling, coach has no confidence in me, Keith Ballard. I backed Ballard all of last year, and this year as well, but it's getting hard to back up his play without getting people snickering at you. We could use say a Francois Beauchemin to an extent, that when Salo is healthy, can play on the third pairing, but can be looked upon by AV to play top 4 minutes.

Salo goes down, like tonight, is everyone fairly comfortable sticking Ballard to the wolves so to speak? The reason I'm saying that is because this is a situation where if Ballard screws up numerous times, it's magnified 10x since he's playing in a more important position. Screw ups will get noticed much more, and will be costly since he would be playing against more skilled players.

It's not worth throwing the farm for Matt Carle, when we have Hamhuis, Edler, Salo (when healthy), and Bieksa (chipping in lately) producing offense from the defense to help out. Carle isn't even that great defensively, hence why Pronger is there. Carle would honestly, be 3rd pairing in my books. No worth it, for me at least.

Colour me blind! I thought Ballard had a good game. The only man a D last night that didn't have at least one sloppy clearing play or one give away seemed to be Hamhuis. Ballard blocked shots, had some great outlet passes and played sound all game. What did he do that pissed you off last night? Perhaps not go down soon enough, or did he go down too soon?
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Colour me blind! I thought Ballard had a good game.
Best game I've seen him play, he looked a lot more comfortable as did Booth, not so much Hodgson.
cheers