Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by CFP! »

Jovocop wrote:
dhabums wrote:
CFP! wrote:Weber is a pipe dream at best ATM. I dont know how GMMG explains how he resigns Weber for a Sedin+Burrows contract to the leaders of the team who DID take discounts.
He could always say "I want to win the effing Cup!". He doesn't actually need to explain a god damned thing. Players sign deals they want to sign. It is that simple.
If it is that simple, you could have been the GM... When the Sedins signed the contract just before they became UFAs, MG must have presented his plan to the Sedins. Is that not part of the negotiation to get them at hometown discount?? Once they signed, you want to tell them to "I don't need to explain a god damned thing"... I am sure you will be well-liked as a GM...
Exactly.

Gillis has created something, the Twins have followed and thus Kesler and hopefully Edler.

If anyone's cap hit is more than the Twins or Luongo I'd say it would be only for one year. And at the end of the day, if your not worth your money you get bitch slapped by the twins.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I don't think too many players would get bent out of shape if someone else came to the team and earned top dollar if that player was a premier player and it helped them win a cup. These players make good coin and they know it. They are set for life and they know it. They want to win. If Weber were to come here and earn upper 6+ low 7 and it helped us win you would not find one player complaining. It might be different down the road if MG paid that type of money to someone who did not deserve it. Like J'Bow for example. At the time I remember several players saying he was not what they needed and certainly not at the money he was rumoured to be going to command. Some players said the same about Hamhuis as well, for the 6 million figure that was being thrown around. I doubt anyone is upset about Hamhuis earning what he does and I doubt anyone would be upset if we landed Weber for what he is worth.

We have one cap circumvention contract and we won't get away with another so if we have any hopes/plans to land Weber it will cost. Ideally I would love to wait and grab him when he is UFA just so we don;t have to give up any assets but if by some miracle he was put on the market he is the type of player I would hope MG would part with the assets to land. And if he did you know he could sign him long term and you know that would mean the end of Ballard :D
The only HW the Canucks need
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Jovocop wrote:
dhabums wrote:
CFP! wrote:Weber is a pipe dream at best ATM. I dont know how GMMG explains how he resigns Weber for a Sedin+Burrows contract to the leaders of the team who DID take discounts.
He could always say "I want to win the effing Cup!". He doesn't actually need to explain a god damned thing. Players sign deals they want to sign. It is that simple.
If it is that simple, you could have been the GM... When the Sedins signed the contract just before they became UFAs, MG must have presented his plan to the Sedins. Is that not part of the negotiation to get them at hometown discount?? Once they signed, you want to tell them to "I don't need to explain a god damned thing"... I am sure you will be well-liked as a GM...
I guess if you think part of his plan was refusing to go after top notch players until the Sedins' deals expired so he could spare them the agony of being 2nd, then sure. "Hi Hank, Hi Dan. $6.1M per, 5 years and we will not pay anyone more no matter how good they are." (BUT we will trade for overpaid guys that blow the system to hell, haha)

The Sedins and everyone else fully understand that things change. If Weber was actually there for the taking, Mike Gillis doesn't need to poll his players on what wouldn't hurt their feelings money wise and term wise. I think this team would like to be the best they can possibly be. Now that's just my opinion and it could be wrong.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

dhabums wrote: The Sedins and everyone else fully understand that things change. If Weber was actually there for the taking, Mike Gillis doesn't need to poll his players on what wouldn't hurt their feelings money wise and term wise. I think this team would like to be the best they can possibly be. Now that's just my opinion and it could be wrong.
Yup.

I heard a recent clip of Gillis explaining that he didn't think it was right to pay Ehrhoff what was needed to get a deal done because it would have been unfair to other guys on the team who took a pay cut. But there's a difference between getting your own players to sign under market value and signing a new player from another team, especially if said player is one of the best in the game.

What anyone gets paid is relative to the situation and their talent level.

That's not to say the Canucks should pay Weber what he would make elsewhere, but if he happens to be the team's highest paid player if he signed here, then so be it, and I doubt any of the players will mind too much as long as it's a reasonable deal.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I'd say there are 29 other organizations who would be fine with having Weber on their team for 7 million a season. The guy is young, huge, entering his prime, a leader, fantastic at both ends of the ice, and can play thirty minutes a night. He is a franchise player.

The salary cap has gone up every season since the lockout, which makes the Sedins' salaries somewhat irrelevant to what the most coveted free agent on the market should receive. As for Edler, he will be worth what he's worth when he becomes a FA regardless of Weber's salary. If anything, Weber at seven million would make Edler's asking price lower; it would be hard for Edler to expect much north of five million a season when the best blueliner in the game is on your team making seven. Edler is turning into a terrific player but he will never be a Shea Weber.

I'm sure the star players on this team would be thrilled to have a player like that on the back end making their lives easier and protecting our often-fragile goaltender, regardless of what Weber earns a season. This team wants to win now and I think the players understand how the free agent market works. There are many players who you wouldn't want to bring in to disrupt the salary structure of the squad. Weber is not one of those players.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Rumsfeld wrote: Edler is turning into a terrific player but he will never be a Shea Weber.
I thought we were taking about Yanick Weber.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Hockey Widow wrote: It might be different down the road if MG paid that type of money to someone who did not deserve it. Like J'Bow for example.
Let's keep in mind that our GM offered Mats Sundin 20 million dollars over two seasons. He knew it was a ridiculous overpayment but he wanted to improve the team and there were no other options.

I don't remember any grumblings in the locker room about that, and if there were any you can bet that the drama-obsessed hacks we call sports journalists in this city would have gleefully reported them.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

coco_canuck wrote:
dhabums wrote: The Sedins and everyone else fully understand that things change. If Weber was actually there for the taking, Mike Gillis doesn't need to poll his players on what wouldn't hurt their feelings money wise and term wise. I think this team would like to be the best they can possibly be. Now that's just my opinion and it could be wrong.
Yup.

I heard a recent clip of Gillis explaining that he didn't think it was right to pay Ehrhoff what was needed to get a deal done because it would have been unfair to other guys on the team who took a pay cut. But there's a difference between getting your own players to sign under market value and signing a new player from another team, especially if said player is one of the best in the game.

That's not to say the Canucks should pay Weber what he would make elsewhere, but if he happens to be the team's highest paid player if he signed here, then so be it, and I doubt any of the players will mind too much as long as it's a reasonable deal.
I think the expectation, when giving a 'discount' is that the GM uses your money to improve the team. So I echo the sentiments above from coco and dabums. The players who took 'discounts' aren't a bunch of pouting teenagers who say "Joe makes more than me, so I'm pissed off" (unlike Drew Doughty who insisted on being paid #1). IMO the problems arise when you give discounts and then the GM / Owner sits well under the cap. These guys aren't idiots, if their haircuts lands a 'Weber', I think they'd be quite pleased.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Corb wrote:
coco_canuck wrote:
Yup.

I think the expectation, when giving a 'discount' is that the GM uses your money to improve the team. So I echo the sentiments above from coco and dabums. The players who took 'discounts' aren't a bunch of pouting teenagers who say "Joe makes more than me, so I'm pissed off" (unlike Drew Doughty who insisted on being paid #1). IMO the problems arise when you give discounts and then the GM / Owner sits well under the cap. These guys aren't idiots, if their haircuts lands a 'Weber', I think they'd be quite pleased.
What I am trying to saying is that it will be hard to ask Edler to give the Canucks a hometown discount when MG signs Weber to $7m+ a season. Of course, if Weber is willing to sign a home(province) discount with the Canucks (say somewhere around $6m), I don't think the Sedins, Kesler and Luongo would complain much. At the same time, Edler might be more willing to take a discount to remain with the team. My whole point is that we could give up alot to trade for Weber and he could end up asking for too much after this season expires. We are just speculating things anyway. Some people are being more optimistic but some are not.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Jovocop wrote:
What I am trying to saying is that it will be hard to ask Edler to give the Canucks a hometown discount when MG signs Weber to $7m+ a season. Of course, if Weber is willing to sign a home(province) discount with the Canucks (say somewhere around $6m), I don't think the Sedins, Kesler and Luongo would complain much. At the same time, Edler might be more willing to take a discount to remain with the team. My whole point is that we could give up alot to trade for Weber and he could end up asking for too much after this season expires. We are just speculating things anyway. Some people are being more optimistic but some are not.
If Weber is the missing ingredient to the Canucks winning the Stanley Cup then I'm sure all of the players would be ok with the #s everyone else is making. If the Nucks won it in June, I'd bet good money that we'd still have Hoff. Everyone wants to be associated with a winner which is part of the reason it hurts so much losing in game 7. :(
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

The missing element was a little bit more luck but i don't know whom the Canucks can trade for. :lol:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

The missing element was a little bit more luck but i don't know whom the Canucks can trade for. :lol:
Exactly. Weber does not equal a cup. He might hurt the Canucks more than he helps them. How?

- A trade would reduce our stock of roster players. Imagine fewer players to draw from when injuries happen?
- He himself may become injured. Or suspended. Then we're in deep shit.
- We'd have no kick ass 1B goalie behind Luongo to throw at the opposition to confuse them.

Vancouver was *this* close to winning it all. I think adding Weber would be nice, no doubt, but risky at best.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Booth a minus 11 and Ballard a minus 10...do they not teach them any thing in Florida :D
cheers
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fred wrote:Booth a minus 11 and Ballard a minus 10...do they not teach them any thing in Florida :D
Thankfully for them there is a Mike Gillis out the who would gladly absorb their over paid unwanteds.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Fred wrote:Booth a minus 11 and Ballard a minus 10...do they not teach them any thing in Florida :D
Uh, you don't remember at least 7 or 8 absolutely shit goals that Luongo gave up in October? How about that floater from the blue line in Chicago? Can you blame the 5 guys who got minuses on that shift?