Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts

Post by ClamRussel »

Hockey Widow wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:I like the deal and I think it makes us stronger....people are talking about Hodgson getting squeezed out of the picture, the guy who really should be concerned is Raymond. At best he is now a 3rd line centre...when he comes back...the way Higgins is playing he will possibly be on the 4th line or on his way out via a trade.

I think the prognosis on Raymond retuning this season is cautious at best. He is a long way from getting back into the line up. Maybe this trade acknowledges this. But if and when he comes back he will make our 3rd line faster. :D
Well he's been skating & skated w/ Rome & Pinizatto today which is promising. At least he's not behind schedule. I meant at best h's a 3rd line LW btw in case anyone wondered about that. :D
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

[quote="Rudypoo"]At face value (and based on MG's comments), this move would also seem to indicate that the Canucks don't believe CoHo is ready./quote]

I interpret it that MayRay is not anywhere near ready, and Sturm is done. We trade an old Samuelson for a young Booth.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I like this trade!!

Booth has the same speed (today) as Sturm, and is less streaky than Samuelson, is younger and has more portential than both of them.. only risk is he may be concussion prone.. anyone know if he still has Eric Lindross disease??

Depending how things go in his first couple practices, Booth either starts on the second line with Kes and Higgins, or the third line with Manny and Hansen.. (Coho lines up on the opposite line). One way or the other, I believe our team got more consistent on a nightly basis here.

As to the 'flags for future UFA's signing here' being a negative thing, thats pure bunk. If I am sturm, I am elated that I signed with a GM who was willing to trade me if the coach wasn't gonna play me. you bet your bottom dollar that Sturm will get a WAY better chance in florida to regain his form and play for a real contract next year. Better to play in florida than be benched and AV's whipping boy in Vancouver ---- on a side note, looks like the the "#1 whipping boy" title is back to the Coho and Ballard contestents... and Coho is behind the curve...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Tomcat201
AHL Prospect

Post by Tomcat201 »

Good trade for the Canucks. We basically traded one (now injury prone Samuelsson) roster player for a younger (Booth) roster player. The Reinprecht and Sturm additions won't amount to much as neither player would have had a impact on the Canucks Roster.
BCReefer
CC Veteran

Post by BCReefer »

Madcombinepilot wrote:I like this trade!!

Depending how things go in his first couple practices, Booth either starts on the second line with Kes and Higgins, or the third line with Manny and Hansen.. (Coho lines up on the opposite line). One way or the other, I believe our team got more consistent on a nightly basis here.

As to the 'flags for future UFA's signing here' being a negative thing, thats pure bunk. If I am sturm, I am elated that I signed with a GM who was willing to trade me if the coach wasn't gonna play me. you bet your bottom dollar that Sturm will get a WAY better chance in florida to regain his form and play for a real contract next year. Better to play in florida than be benched and AV's whipping boy in Vancouver ---- on a side note, looks like the the "#1 whipping boy" title is back to the Coho and Ballard contestents... and Coho is behind the curve...
With AV as coach a) the Canucks will never win the cup with his ego and b) Ballard and CoHo will NEVER be given a real chance to play.

But maybe CoHo playing on the third line would be good for him, 12 minutes a night and no pressure until he learns the NHL.
etlebut
AHL Prospect

Post by etlebut »

Gotta hand it to Aquilini for allowing this deal to get done. He's basically burning $2+ million on Reinprecht to make this happen.

We'll eventually find out if Booth is worth it. In the meantime, it looks like we have an owner who is willing to do what it takes.
Hoss
CC Rookie

Post by Hoss »

Tciso wrote:
Rudypoo wrote:At face value (and based on MG's comments), this move would also seem to indicate that the Canucks don't believe CoHo is ready./quote]

I interpret it that MayRay is not anywhere near ready, and Sturm is done. We trade an old Samuelson for a young Booth.
Booth seems like an upgrade over Mason to me - I like Raymond but I kind of hope this trade makes him expendable. I don't think he'll ever score 25 goals again (does anyone remember just how many bizarre/lucky/flukey goals he scored that season?) and it sounds like if Booth is healthy he'll play the body.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

BCReefer wrote:Nice, Sammy is too soft for us and not what is needed in the playoffs, Sturm was useless and a complete waste of $2.5.

Now will Both get 20 again playing on a real team?
?

Samuelsson is tough as nails and holds the team record for most goals in a playoff round.

His downfall was his inability to stay healthy. But when he was healthy in the playoffs, he was great.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Will Booth just be the next name on the list of ex-Panters making $4+M/year that Vigneault doesn't like and sits on the bench? :roll:

I'm pretty stoked on this trade actually, Samuelsson has been a bit of a lone wolf out there at times and has never found much lasting chemistry with anyone, often turning the puck over or causing an offside by not being on the same page as his linemates. IMO, he has been on the decline since his first year in Vancouver. Sturm hasn't impressed anyone yet in Vancouver yet, he's had several good chances and failed to capitalize on them and looked fairly lost in his own end.

I recall all the hype on Booth a few years ago, though most of what I recall was the writing on another Canucks site by jewmanji (or however the hell you spelled it). I didn't realize he'd be concussed as much as he has since then (I refer to Booth, not jewmanji.....who was perpetually concussed), hopefully that doesn't prove to be a problem for him down the road. He's almost certainly a serious upgrade and based on age alone I think it would have been a decent trade even without Reinprecht.

I agree with whoever it was that said it that Reinprecht is likely a salary dump for the Panther's. I don't see a place for him on Vancouver's roster right now. We have 5 centers currently dressed, and with Booth replacing Sturm/Samuelsson and Raymond probably returning late next month (according to pre-season speculation), Reinprecht must be heading to the Wolves.

How we ended up with a draft pick out of this deal too is beyond me, kinda makes me think that Florida initiated this one and Booth was just not a good fit there or something.....
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

After doing a little bit of surfing and reading it appears that Booth played symptom free hockey for all 82 games last year. He scored 23 goals which was down from his high of 31 but have you looked at the Florida line up. With the Sedins carrying the brunt of the checking pressure and a center who will go to the wall I see Booth getting 30 this year. I think his drop in production is likely from not thinking it was going to go anywhere. He is now with an organization that could win it all this year. A pretty big motivator for a player. From the Hockey News;

ASSETS: Has speed to burn. Can put up points and is ultra aggressive on the forecheck. Also boasts a nose for the net. Works very hard and is good in the corners.

FLAWS: Concussions are still a concern with him, especially since he has a bad habit of keeping his head down in dangerous areas of the ice. Isn't a natural setup man.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Speedy scoring winger.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I dunno, this guy has had 2 concussions due to the fact he can't seem keep his head up.

Then there's this:

:eh:

So ummm yeah the kid doesn't appear to have his head screwed on straight.

The kind of player who ends up with his career derailed by injuries but hopefully he gives us a coupla years first.

BUT it'll be fun to put Booth on a line with Higgins and Kesler and call it the American Express Line. :thumbs:

Gillis was sorta forced into taking this gamble due to the need to move the Sammy + Sturm contracts

(both of which the Great Strangelove railed against).

Last edited by Strangelove on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
hamiltoncanucks
CC Veteran

Post by hamiltoncanucks »

Booth is also a Detroit native who played with KEs growing up (on US junior teams) they know one another and are friends apparently. Kes finally gets that winger with speed AND hands to play with. Now with either Higgins or CoHo on that line with those two it looks like we should get some consistent second line scoring.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

hamiltoncanucks wrote:Booth is also a Detroit native who played with KEs growing up (on US junior teams) they know one another and are friends apparently. Kes finally gets that winger with speed AND hands to play with. Now with either Higgins or CoHo on that line with those two it looks like we should get some consistent second line scoring.
I totally agree with you, I don't know if Booth goes to RW or who else is on the line Tuesday, but this gives us two top lines that we didn't have before.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

LOL, too funny. I don't know much about him, so I'm not really sure what to make of David Booth yet. He put up some decent numbers before I guess, but it doesn't exactly get my mojo going. It just feels like the Canucks (MG and his predecessors before him) always seem to get these marginal guys who are incapable of pushing this team over the top.

And what's with MG seeming always willing to take in the ass from Florida? It seems like whenever Florida has a fat and long term contract that they want to get rid of, all they have to do is give MG a call.

Dale Talon - Florida GM (thinking): hmmm, this David Booth guy isn't doing much for us this year and he has this $4mill contract that still have 3 years on it. I wonder who should I call? I know, I'll give Mike a call, he's my bitch. Muahahaha

Dale Talon phones up MG

Talon: "Hey Mike: Dale here"

Gillis lazily answers the phone, but once he finds out it's Dale Tallon, he leaps for joy.

Gillis: "Mr. Tallon sir! Wow, it's an honour that you called me. What can I do for you today?"

Talon: "Hey Mikey: I know u have been wanting David Both for awhile, well, I'm willing to trade him to you now."

Gillis: "Really? Sure. I've been wanting to get him to play with Kesler cuz they were good buddies. What do you want?"

Talon (thinking): hmm... I kind of hosed him last time by getting Grabner and a 1st rounder for Ballard and his fat contract. Think I'll just get a couple guys whose contracts are up at the end of the season, so the league office and people don't get too suspicious.

Talon: "Which guys do you have on your roster who have their contracts up?"

Gillis: "Hmm.. Marco Sturm and Mikael Samuelsson are up"

Talon: "Sure, I'll take those 2 guys. I also have Steve Reinprecht who's killing me with his $2mill contract in the minors. If u take him, I"ll throw in a 3rd round pick for you.

Gillis: "OK, sure."

Talon: "Well, I got to go. See ya Mikey"

Gillis: "Wait, Mr. Tallon sir. Before you go, do you want to come to my place? You can use my Jacuzzi, I'll put on my sexy underwear for you and I'll be glad to give you a long and hard massage.

Tallon: "Ehhh" (groans in disgust)

Talon hangs up the phone.

Southern_Canuck wrote:
Hank wrote:What?! 4.25 million for a marginal player who's stats are padded on the awful Florida Panthers, to play on our 2nd and 3rd lines until 2015? And we lose two vets who are capable of scoring 25+ goals? What a shitty trade! I'm going to bitch all year about this!

(tongue planted firmly in cheek)
At least this time Gillis didn't give up a Calder Trophy candidate and a 1st round pick for a risky long contract.

S_C
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Potentially giving us 2 top lines.. 1 with finesse .. 1 with ballz.. and the Wolves get an upgrade..
A good deal .. maybe a great deal if Booth can keep his noggin ..
Losing Sammy and Sturm ? Sturm wasn't getting the job done.. Sammy looked to be at the end of a good career..
center insurance with Reinprecht on the wolves..+ a 3rd :)
I LIKE IT..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice