Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Carl Yagro »

Fred wrote:
Is there a Holy Roller on the Penguins ?? because that's where the Cup is going this season :D
Blasphemy! :evil:

As an aside, I wonder if Boothy would report to New Jersey... in case MG works something out with Lou in the future? :devil:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Rumsfeld wrote:I wonder how the media and locker room would view Booth's enthusiastic piety if he were a Jew or *gasp* a Muslim.
They'd view it the same way.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Rumsfeld wrote: Maybe what the team needs is a few devout muslims. Players who are willing to kill or die in the name of victory. We could put them on IVs during Ramadan and convince them that Brad Marchand supports Israel financially.
hmmm, you are sounding like a Christian.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: hmmm, you are sounding like a Christian.
Yes, feed him to the lions!!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I just finished watching the great movie 'There Will Be Blood". If I was a teamate of Booth and Hamhius and they asked me if I would like to join them in a pre-game prayer in the Chapel, being the miserable athiest that I am I would require either or of or both Booth or Hamhius to first recite the line from the end of the movie - There Will Be Blood "I am a False Prophet and God is a Superstition" In order for me to join them in prayer.
BCReefer
CC Veteran

Post by BCReefer »

Rumsfeld wrote:I wonder how the media and locker room would view Booth's enthusiastic piety if he were a Jew or *gasp* a Muslim.

Maybe what the team needs is a few devout muslims. Players who are willing to kill or die in the name of victory. We could put them on IVs during Ramadan and convince them that Brad Marchand supports Israel financially.
Damn that was funny.

Thank you for bringing a smile to my face when we talk about Booth.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

The ever tolerant ratman is calling out....the devoted one. It Is time!!!

Enough with the ...new system...gelling with mates...earn your keep, you are touted a star..play like one.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

rats19 wrote:The ever tolerant ratman is calling out....the devoted one. It Is time!!!

Enough with the ...new system...gelling with mates...earn your keep, you are touted a star..play like one.
Yeah Booth looked all over the map at the game on Sunday. It's time to start playing like he can.

Even Gilman is getting impatient with the 'gelling', although he didn't come right out and say it during his interview, you could tell he wants and needs Booth to start producing on the score-sheet.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

rats19 wrote:The ever tolerant ratman is calling out....the devoted one. It Is time!!!

Amen Brother Rat! Hallelujah, PTL!

Time to change plans, devoted one. The Lord helps those who help themselves their linemates.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Patience friends.

Granted, Booth hasn't been all that great, and the criticism is justified to a certain extent, but I think we need to be a lot more patient with Booth.

Gillis said when the trade was made that this will take some time, and it was imperative to make this deal early in the year in order to have plenty of time to get Booth acclimated to his new team. Seems the goal is to have Booth at his best at the end of the year and heading into the playoffs.

Sometimes it takes a fairly long time for players to get comfortable on new teams, especially for a player like Booth who came over from a shit organization where the expectations and daily competition was the polar opposite from that in Vancouver.

Right now I see a player who is having a hard time with this team's system and style. In Florida he basically had free offensive reign, whereas in Vancouver he's being asked to pay closer attention to his positioning and responsibilities without the puck. AV said after Sunday's game that Booth is uncomfortable with and without the puck, and that stems from uncertainty and lack of confidence with his new team.

Booth is often compared to James Neal, another player who left a similar situation in Dallas to join a strong systems team in Pittsburgh and struggled, only scoring 1 goal in 20 games with the Pens last year. So far, Neal has 12 goals in 20 games. The difference is, Neal was traded at or near the deadline last year and did not have much time to work through his struggles.

Another factor is Kesler and Malhotra's struggles that are a limiting the effectiveness of the 2nd and 3rd lines. Finally Malhotra is being pushed down the roster, but there's a lot of movement on the 3rd, preventing any consistency to be formed with either Lappy or Cody in the middle, and Kesler's struggles are well documented.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Understood coco, but he is not 3rd line talent, a star is a star period. Time to adjust? For sure, but show the talent that we paid for. Be good...get better...that's what stars do.

I did not use super star you will notice..just be a 4.5 million dollar star..is that too much to ask
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

rats19 wrote: I did not use super star you will notice..just be a 4.5 million dollar star..is that too much to ask
I don't think it's too much to ask, and like I said, it's fair to criticize him, but it's not atypical for star players to struggle for a fair amount of time when they join new teams.

Sometimes they never find their way, and it's naive to say there's no such risk here, but Booth has been a consistent +20 goal scorer and is a much better player than he's shown. I don't think it's too unreasonable to suggest he'll likely get better and will need more time to do so.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

coco_canuck wrote:
rats19 wrote: I did not use super star you will notice..just be a 4.5 million dollar star..is that too much to ask
I don't think it's too much to ask, and like I said, it's fair to criticize him, but it's not atypical for star players to struggle for a fair amount of time when they join new teams.

Sometimes they never find their way, and it's naive to say there's no such risk here, but Booth has been a consistent +20 goal scorer and is a much better player than he's shown. I don't think it's too unreasonable to suggest he'll likely get better and will need more time to do so.
There was a time In my life where I was told to ..........Shit or get off the pot, that was for 30k a frikken year.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Is this the guy we're looking for?

...or are we going to end up with this guy?

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

rats19 wrote: There was a time In my life where I was told to ..........Shit or get off the pot, that was for 30k a frikken year.
:lol:

Fair enough, but pro-sports is a totally different world that's not completely analogous to our lives, even if it should be in many respects.

The way I see it, the Canucks made a mid-to-long-term investment when they traded for Booth, knowing there would be an adjustment period.

Now, as much as some of the angst over the Canucks start is justified, I don't think it's realistic scenario for the Canucks to miss the playoffs, and all that really matters is what the Canucks do late in the year and into the post-season.

All I'm saying is, it's too early to write him off, and while it's fair to criticize him, we should be more patient as well.