Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I can't see the Canucks trading for him, that's for sure. We don't have the pieces and it would take a MASSIVE package to land him, even as a rental.

The other problem is the Canucks' internal cap philosophy. Do you think they will make Shea Webber the highest paid player on the team? IMO there is zero chance they will offer him more than the Sedins. Webber is certainly a 7.5-8M d-man on the open market, or he's a 10 year $55M guy. Giving us a "home-town" discount is one thing, but asking a guy to slash 1.5-2M off his annual salary might be too much.

We have roughly 9.4M in cap space next off-season, and while most of the core is locked up we have to consider what happens with Schneider and Raymond. The following off-season we have Edler, Burrows, Higgins, Hodgson and Lapierre at some points of Free Agency.

There's always the chance of trading some guys away (cough Ballard). But then we run the risk of someone blowing Webber's socks off with a deal and being left weaker than before. I don't think our current "D" is a weakness. Obviously adding Webber would be amazing... but the only significant back-end singing I see the Canucks doing next summer is extending Edler to a $5M/year, long-term deal.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I can't see the Canucks trading for him, that's for sure. We don't have the pieces and it would take a MASSIVE package to land him, even as a rental.

The other problem is the Canucks' internal cap philosophy. Do you think they will make Shea Webber the highest paid player on the team? IMO there is zero chance they will offer him more than the Sedins. Webber is certainly a 7.5-8M d-man on the open market, or he's a 10 year $55M guy. Giving us a "home-town" discount is one thing, but asking a guy to slash 1.5-2M off his annual salary might be too much.

We have roughly 9.4M in cap space next off-season, and while most of the core is locked up we have to consider what happens with Schneider and Raymond. The following off-season we have Edler, Burrows, Higgins, Hodgson and Lapierre at some points of Free Agency.

There's always the chance of trading some guys away (cough Ballard). But then we run the risk of someone blowing Webber's socks off with a deal and being left weaker than before. I don't think our current "D" is a weakness. Obviously adding Webber would be amazing... but the only significant back-end singing I see the Canucks doing next summer is extending Edler to a $5M/year, long-term deal.
I am not sure why there are still so many people here hating Ballard. Even he is -9 at this time, I still don't think he was that bad. Have anyone seen how Bieksa has played lately? I can't count how many giveaways he has had each game despite playing with Hamhuis...
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Jovocop wrote:
I am not sure why there are still so many people here hating Ballard. Even he is -9 at this time, I still don't think he was that bad. Have anyone seen how Bieksa has played lately? I can't count how many giveaways he has had each game despite playing with Hamhuis...
I'm not exactly a Ballard hater. He's not AV's favorite, for whatever reason, and he got a clean slate this year. He's looked good in some games and bad in others (a lot like Bieksa). My point was more that if the Canucks were going to shed salary from the back-end in order to afford Shea Webber (something they'd have to do) I think Ballard becomes the odd man out, if only because of his role/position on the team.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

:evil:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
I'm not exactly a Ballard hater. He's not AV's favorite, for whatever reason, and he got a clean slate this year. He's looked good in some games and bad in others (a lot like Bieksa). My point was more that if the Canucks were going to shed salary from the back-end in order to afford Shea Webber (something they'd have to do) I think Ballard becomes the odd man out, if only because of his role/position on the team.
Sorry pal, I am just frustrated with people hating Ballard (including AV) but don't mind Bieksa making worse mistakes at the most inappropriate time. If Ballard plays like Bieksa, he is in the dog house long time ago. I might be the only one who thinks Ballard has been playing much better than Bieksa but never get more icetime from AV for whatever reasons....
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Jovocop wrote:Sorry pal, I am just frustrated with people hating Ballard (including AV) but don't mind Bieksa making worse mistakes at the most inappropriate time. If Ballard plays like Bieksa, he is in the dog house long time ago. I might be the only one who thinks Ballard has been playing much better than Bieksa but never get more icetime from AV for whatever reasons....
Watching the St. Louis game last night the most consistent defence pairing out there were Ballard and Sulzer. Bieksa continues to play like the Bieksa of old without the injuries for an excuse. Ballard would have been benched long ago. Bieksa did manage to turn it around part way through the season last year when paired with Hamhuis, but I'm beginning to wonder whether he should donate half his paycheck to Dan for helping him land the NTC he did.
Island Nucklehead wrote:We have roughly 9.4M in cap space next off-season, and while most of the core is locked up we have to consider what happens with Schneider and Raymond. The following off-season we have Edler, Burrows, Higgins, Hodgson and Lapierre at some points of Free Agency.
As you point out with eight roster positions to fill for 9.4 million, even with a discount and Ballard ($4.2) gone Gillis would be hard pressed to fit Weber under the cap, and even if he did, the contractual situation in 2013-14 has the potential to become an absolute cap nightmare.

In keeping with the topic, as far as Booth goes I have yet to see anything from him that puts him ahead of Raymond other than his salary.
Calgary_Canuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Calgary_Canuck »

Arbour wrote:
In keeping with the topic, as far as Booth goes I have yet to see anything from him that puts him ahead of Raymond other than his salary.
It's still early for Booth. I like his energy, his acceleration is amazing and he can fight too. I'll give him 10 games to find his hands, cuz right now he doesn't have them.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Calgary_Canuck wrote: and he can fight too.
Um, I'd go back to the drawing board on that one, CaCa. He got roasted by a midget. Lucky it wasn't worse, cause his jaw was out there for the taking, lucky for him Nichol has a short reach.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Arbour wrote:

This
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
jackalman
CC Veteran

Post by jackalman »

Calgary_Canuck wrote:
Arbour wrote:
he can fight too..

:drink: I hate too see your idea of someone who can`t fight.

I don`t think fighting is in Gods plan for David Booth.

By Booths thinking he must be saying to himself "God wanted me to get my ass kicked by a dwaf infront of thousands of people. :crazy:

Maby he should think about a new religion :devil:
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Arbour wrote: In keeping with the topic, as far as Booth goes I have yet to see anything from him that puts him ahead of Raymond other than his salary.
From what I've seen so far,

Booth is way ahead in Raymond in size and strength. He uses his 6'0, 212lb frame very effectively in the corners. Raymond (like the Sedins), have no corner presence and its in the corners is where Raymond got his back broken.

I "think" Raymond is better than Booth in terms of defensive coverage but I think that might just be a function of Booth adapting to the Canuck system. I will be honest and say that I haven't been analyzing Booth all that closely. (anyone know if he's on the pk?)

Other than that, they have the same lack-of-finish, the same speediness and the same dashing good looks (no homo). :lol:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

mathonwy wrote:

Other than that, they have the same lack-of-finish, the same speediness and the same dashing good looks (no homo). :lol:
This. While the $2M increase in salary is tough to swallow, the potential is there for Booth to be better than Raymond, if only for his increased size and willingness to go to dirtier areas and be effective.

His fight was pretty sad, but his fourth career fight and second in the NHL vs. Nichol at 45 or so. You would never see Raymond show any emotion of that variety, the only time he's dropped the gloves he was completely molested and didn't even merit a fighting major. It's intangibles like this (a willingness to battle) the Canucks need more of.

Either way, if Booth doesn't get it going offensively he's going to be crucified here in Vancouver, but the reasoning and value in this trade shouldn't be up for debate. Hindsight will prove 20/20 but for what we gave up vs what could be gained, there shouldn't be much argument...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I know it's early but so far this guys totally sucks. His play is VERY reminiscent of Marco Sturm FFS.

Not saying his game can't come around but as it stands right now, this was not a good move. I think MG envisioned a James Neal type of player but Booth doesn't appear to have much hockey sense or see the ice very well at all.

I'm concerned.
If you need air...call it in
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Uncle dans leg wrote:I know it's early but so far this guys totally sucks. His play is VERY reminiscent of Marco Sturm FFS.

Not saying his game can't come around but as it stands right now, this was not a good move. I think MG envisioned a James Neal type of player but Booth doesn't appear to have much hockey sense or see the ice very well at all.

I'm concerned.
I'd agree with that but as you say it's early days....but if we judge him on his showing up to now....you're right he sucks. Steve Bernier looked better. Let's hope like Ballard that's a lot of money for a long time. The future impact is huge
cheers
Calgary_Canuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Calgary_Canuck »

1G, 1A, nuff said
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Agreed and am relieved that he's finally shown some game.
It seems as soon as I call a guy out he has a good game!
If you need air...call it in