Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Turris Rumours

Post by mathonwy »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Turris isn't doing anything wrong. He is a free agent, albeit restricted. He has the right to hold out for whatever he feels is right. Just as the Coyotes have the right to refuse to trade him. If he doesn't sign by Dec 1 he doesn't play this year. He has the right to do that too.
Problem is that Turris isn't holding out for what he feels he deserves money wise. He just doesn't want to play for Phoenix anymore and is imo mis-using his RFA status to try and get out of town. I don't think it looks good on him.

On the Maloney side of the equation, If he refuses to improve his team by trading Turris and Phoenix misses the playoffs by just a few points hes done his team, their fans and all the NHL owners that are keeping that franchise afloat a great disservice. A little playoff revenue would be nice.
Well..

I don't think there is misuse of anything. RFA is just a legal classification that gives the player certain legal rights and those legal rights include, not playing. Also, Turris is entitled to make any type of demand that he wants during the contract negotiations and that includes, ultimately, being traded because whatever. The unfortunate thing is Turris's demand for a trade has been aired publicly. If this had all been taken care of behind closed doors, Turris would have been traded for something and Phoenix management would have saved face and both parties win. As it stands right now, both parties have reached an impasse.

Turris is using the public airing of his demand to portray himself as a hockey player being held hostage by a big organization and Maloney is taking the stance that this swaying of public opinion tactic will not work and the organization will not negotiate with terrorists.

In summary, both sides fucked this negotiation up pretty badly. and I am neither pro or con either.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Potatoe1 wrote: Going back a ways, but once upon a time the very old version of Dave Gagne was included in the deal sending Pavel Bure out of town.

Burke who was trying to sell what appeared to be a very bad deal to the media, insisted that Dave Gagne was a key component of the trade when everyone knew that Gange was totally finished and just a salary dump from Florida.

That and "goalie of the future" will forever used in sarcastic references by Canuck fans.
Don't forget: "I'll drive him to the airport!"

And: "To move this team takes one phone call, one phone call. 25 cents and a pay phone to move this team."

http://www.hark.com/clips/mwzkcjgrvp-move-this-team :lol:

Speaking of Burkie's bad points, HW pointed out a few posts up - in reference to the Turris holdout - how Burke ended up "getting shit for Umberger" after a reasonable salary request from the Umberger camp in a pre-Cap world.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Strangelove wrote: Speaking of Burkie's bad points, HW pointed out a few posts up - in reference to the Turris holdout - how Burke ended up "getting shit for Umberger" after a reasonable salary request from the Umberger camp in a pre-Cap world.
Yeah, that was dumb of Burkie. So was sticking with Cloots after the series against the Wild.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:In order to be a great 'championship' hockey player one has to be lured by the evils of life ie, sex, drugs and rock n roll. You need to wake up angry every morning with a wicked hangover and take all your misery out on anyone who comes within earshot of ya. That my friend is what I look for in a hockey player. Angry and Mean and hungover from the Devils Sauce. I don't need any happy, smiley, flakey bible thumpers on my team. They win ya nothing.
I'd pray for you RD but I think an exorcism is in order here. Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:In order to be a great 'championship' hockey player one has to be lured by the evils of life ie, sex, drugs and rock n roll. You need to wake up angry every morning with a wicked hangover and take all your misery out on anyone who comes within earshot of ya. That my friend is what I look for in a hockey player. Angry and Mean and hungover from the Devils Sauce. I don't need any happy, smiley, flakey bible thumpers on my team. They win ya nothing.
I'd pray for you RD but I think an exorcism is in order here. Image
Pray all you like Doc, ain't nobody listening. :twisted:
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Did the Panthers Bamboozle Gillis again with this Booth trade? Could we be stuck with a massive contract on a player who is considered to have low IQ hockey sense and is a little uncomfortably religious to be around?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

CFP! wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Angry and Mean and hungover from the Devils Sauce. I don't need any happy, smiley, flakey bible thumpers on my team. They win ya nothing.
Out of curiosity, In YOUR opinion how many of these angry, mean, hungover players exist on a Stanley cup team nowadays?

Excluding the minors, or players bought out.

Seriously.
Brad Marchand?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Scintillator
CC Veteran

Post by Scintillator »

Per wrote:Brad Marchand?
+1 ... with a bullet (and I won't miss...) 8-)
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

I don't need any happy, smiley, flakey bible thumpers on my team.
There's nothing scarier than a righteous religious freak RD. Heck, some are even Angry and hung over right now.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

griz wrote:
There's nothing scarier than a righteous religious freak RD. Heck, some are even Angry and hung over right now.

Good thing Team Canada didn't feel that way in 1972.
The only HW the Canucks need
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:
griz wrote:

Good thing Team Canada didn't feel that way in 1972.

Wonder if RD's team would be turn its nose up at having Henderson scoring goal for Christ?

Personally I really don't see what the big deal is about Booth being a Born Again Christian if that is indeed what he is, I'd rather a person believe in something bigger than themselves, whether that means there is God or there isn't. Its the ones that don't believe in anything at all that would make me concerned.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Hey nothing wrong with beliefs. But you shouldn't be proclaiming your religious beliefs at work. How would you like it if your atheist co-workers are always in your face about it?

Funny though, I wonder if anyone asked Booth to show up for the pumpkin carving at Canuck Place? Maybe he's adamant against celebrating All Hallow's Eve as the Devil's work despite it being a good cause for the kids? Maybe he prefers to shoot a dove for peace instead? I noticed the good Reverend Hammer showed up for the event.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hank wrote: Hey nothing wrong with beliefs. But you shouldn't be proclaiming your religious beliefs at work. How would you like it if your atheist co-workers are always in your face about it?
So its your belief one shouldn't discuss one's beliefs in the workplace? :mrgreen:

I don't hear any Canucks complaining about Pastor Booth so umm why are we talking about this?? :look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Darcy Rota and Ryan Walters were "born again Christians " didn't seem to effect their style of play
cheers