Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Turris Rumours

Post by tantalum »

If Phoenix has other players do this then they need to look at why numerous players have a beef with the coaching staff and organization. I don't believe this has to do with Turris not liking Phoenix but rather doesn't agree with how he is being developed.

I personally think that 29 teams should have interest in adding Turris to their organization. He hasn't developed as hoped, obviously, but the kid has skill.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Not sure why Turris is sitting out. Not like he has done anything in the NHL yet, only an 11 goal scorer last year barely cracking a poor NHL roster. If he wants big money, he's going to have to prove he can play. He should just sign a short-term deal for like 2 years @ like $2-3mill.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Turris = Headcase in the making.

The guy has done sweet fuck all to be pulling a stunt like this, not a good sign of character.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Do you think David Booth leaves a stack of Awake Magazines at the entrance to the Canucks dressing room?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

RoyalDude wrote:Turris = Headcase in the making.

The guy has done sweet fuck all to be pulling a stunt like this, not a good sign of character.
Well said, can't top your statement!
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

You know Dude, 99 times out of 100 I'd agree with your statement. But in this case, I do find the story a little intriguing in the sense its Phoenix, and we all know what has taken place with that abysmal franchise over the course of Turris' tenure.

I think there is a direct correlation between Turris' sub-par career thus far and the joke of an organization that has not just mismanaged Kyle, but (arguably) the development of Mikkel Boedker, Victor Tikhanov and Peter Mueller.

Its obvious the organization is going nowhere fast, and if teams like Vancouver are expressing serious interest in him, I'd probably want to high-tail it outta that graveyard too. If he and his camp feel its in his best interest to move on to another organization in order to advance his career, perhaps this is the only way out. I suspect Turris' camp had asked for a trade back in the summer, if not earlier, but gave Maloney the benefit of the doubt until now. Clearly Maloney is standing pat and now Turris is using the media as a last resort plea.

If we were talking about a kid who can't get his shit together while playing for a reputable, well-run organization than yeah Dude, I'm with you. I'm just no so sure this is the case with Turris.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

RoyalDude wrote:Do you think David Booth leaves a stack of Awake Magazines at the entrance to the Canucks dressing room?
God only knows.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

BladesofSteel wrote:

I think there is a direct correlation between Turris' sub-par career thus far and the joke of an organization that has not just mismanaged Kyle, but (arguably) the development of Mikkel Boedker, Victor Tikhanov and Peter Mueller.
I don't know anything about the other two, but Mueller didn't impress me in junior in live games and Turris didn't impress me in his only world JR's
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Turris isn't doing anything wrong. He is a free agent, albeit restricted. He has the right to hold out for whatever he feels is right. Just as the Coyotes have the right to refuse to trade him. If he doesn't sign by Dec 1 he doesn't play this year. He has the right to do that too.

Phoenix has an asset they want to either play for them or to provide a good return. They feel the best way for that to happen is if he is signed. He feels he can squeeze the team into a trade. Look what happened when we did that to RJ, we got shit for him.

Personally I think the Coyotes should take the best they can get for him and be done with it. Having him sit potentially all season perhaps makes a point with other RFA's but it does nothing to increase his trade value.

On the other had Turris had a great opportunity this season to prove he is worth the big bucks. All indications were that a roster spot was his to lose. Signing a 1-2 year deal to prove your value was the best approach for the kid but now he has created an extremely negative situation.

Neither party has done anything wrong but one has to wonder how it got this far. The Coyotes probably could have gotten a lot for him at the draft or before training camp. Now...
The only HW the Canucks need
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Hockey Widow wrote:Turris isn't doing anything wrong. He is a free agent, albeit restricted. He has the right to hold out for whatever he feels is right. Just as the Coyotes have the right to refuse to trade him. If he doesn't sign by Dec 1 he doesn't play this year. He has the right to do that too.
I don't think anyone is doubting his right, but missing an entire year sure sounds stupid for a guy who hasn't done a thing. If the Coyotes aren't getting meaningful offers for a guy who MAY turn out to be a pretty good player, no point in trading him.

Now if someone will make sure Dave Gagne is involved in the trade, then that should seal the deal.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

dhabums wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Turris isn't doing anything wrong. He is a free agent, albeit restricted. He has the right to hold out for whatever he feels is right. Just as the Coyotes have the right to refuse to trade him. If he doesn't sign by Dec 1 he doesn't play this year. He has the right to do that too.
I don't think anyone is doubting his right, but missing an entire year sure sounds stupid for a guy who hasn't done a thing. If the Coyotes aren't getting meaningful offers for a guy who MAY turn out to be a pretty good player, no point in trading him.

Now if someone will make sure Dave Gagne is involved in the trade, then that should seal the deal.

When I think about it I realize that Manny only has one more year with us and so far Hodgson has not endeared himself to AV. Perhaps getting a 22 year old centre with huge upside is a good long term strategy for the Canucks. The twins only have what like 3 years after their current deal is done. So in the not so distant future we will be needing first or second line centre material. Assuming we keep Kesler in the fold and after the twins retire who do we have that is really a top six at centre? I would say Hodgson and he still may be that guy to take the second spot after Kesler moves up to number one but who knows.
The only HW the Canucks need
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

dhabums wrote:
Yes, that would be 'key'.
Ropesauce
CC Rookie

Post by Ropesauce »

dhabums wrote: Now if someone will make sure Dave Gagne is involved in the trade, then that should seal the deal.
....uh,yeah,getting rid of the director of player development is soooooooo high priorty :roll:

it will definitely turn the team around,i'm guessin this is supposed to be some veilled reference to silent g's slow development
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Problem is that Turris isn't holding out for what he feels he deserves money wise. He just doesn't want to play for Phoenix anymore and is imo mis-using his RFA status to try and get out of town. I don't think it looks good on him.

On the Maloney side of the equation, If he refuses to improve his team by trading Turris and Phoenix misses the playoffs by just a few points hes done his team, their fans and all the NHL owners that are keeping that franchise afloat a great disservice. A little playoff revenue would be nice.
2011..... the one that got away.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Ropesauce wrote:
dhabums wrote: Now if someone will make sure Dave Gagne is involved in the trade, then that should seal the deal.
....uh,yeah,getting rid of the director of player development is soooooooo high priorty :roll:

it will definitely turn the team around,i'm guessin this is supposed to be some veilled reference to slent g's slow development
Going back a ways, but once upon a time the very old version of Dave Gagne was included in the deal sending Pavel Bure out of town.

Burke who was trying to sell what appeared to be a very bad deal to the media, insisted that Dave Gagne was a key component of the trade when everyone knew that Gange was totally finished and just a salary dump from Florida.

That and "goalie of the future" will forever used in sarcastic references by Canuck fans.

As it turned out Jovo developed into an impact player for the team and Bure continued to have injury and commitment issues, so all in all the deal ended up being alright.