Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by rats19 »

I actually like booth....I just want to like him more.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

rats19 wrote:Understood coco, but he is not 3rd line talent, a star is a star period. Time to adjust? For sure, but show the talent that we paid for. Be good...get better...that's what stars do.
Not that Booth has played well, but thinking you are going to get a "star level" performance out of this player is only setting yourself up for disapointment.

Booth had 23 goals and 40 points last year while getting first line ice time, in a system he was comfortable in.

Those are not "star" numbers.

Booth was not brought in to be a star, he was brought in to provide size, speed, and secondary offensive production. Gillis identified a need based on our playoff run and Booth is a guy who should fit the mold.

If he can be a 20 to 25 goal guy who can also produce in the playoffs against teams like the Bruins / Preds etc who can control the corners and front of the net, then it can only be considered a good move.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

So that's what its come to.4.5 mill for mediocrity , who may help?

God protect us..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Turris has signed a 2 year 2.8 million dollar contract with Phoenix. Some media are saying there are rumors still floating around of a sign and trade while others are outright rejecting the idea.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

If he can be a 20 to 25 goal guy who can also produce in the playoffs against teams like the Bruins / Preds etc who can control the corners and front of the net, then it can only be considered a good move.
Do you see that in the guy Pots ?
cheers
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

rats19 wrote:So that's what its come to.4.5 mill for mediocrity , who may help?

God protect us..

4.5 is what 20ish goal scorers were getting in free agency this summer.

That is now market value for a top6 forward in free agency.

At least Booth is young'ish and has some grit and physicality to his game.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Fred wrote:
Do you see that in the guy Pots ?
Yes.

But he will need to play with good players with some puck distribution skills. All due respect to Max Lappiere but there is no way Booth cracks 20 with him as his center.

He will need to play with some combination of Kesler / Hodgson / Higgens / Hansen preferably the first 2.

More importantly that that however, he needs to get better defensively or his ice time is going to continue on the downward trend.
Last edited by Potatoe1 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

We have I suppose Hodgson, Raymond, Hansen, Higgens, Booth all vying for the same 2 spots so he has to show he deserves to be in the mix, that's his first job. Competition hopefully brings the best out of them all. Right now he's bottom of the totem pole. I want him to do well but we can't just give it to him and hope, to the detriment of the others IMO
cheers
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Fred wrote: I want him to do well but we can't just give it to him and hope, to the detriment of the others IMO
Who said anything about "giving it to him?"
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

coco_canuck wrote:
Fred wrote: I want him to do well but we can't just give it to him and hope, to the detriment of the others IMO
Who said anything about "giving it to him?"
It was just a comment, nothing sinister. But he was brought in and put immediately on the second line and has since worked his way down to the third. Let's keep our fingers crossed but all we can do is judge him on his own body of work since he arrived...nothing else counts really
cheers
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Booth's on about a 47 point full-season pace with Vancouver right now. I'd like if he scored more goals (only on a 13-goal pace). I do like the depth he brings. The more options we can give AV and his line-juggling act the better.

Considering he's played his entire career in a complete joke of a hockey town, I would hope we can give him more than 30 days (all it's been) to un-learn all the bad habits he's picked up....
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

We are all expecting a guy to change the way he has played the game his whole life, north/south straight ahead,nothing else etc. Unfortunately for Booth he lacks the Ovechkin/Bure skill set to have any success at that style of game. Gillis made the mistake acquiring a player not suited for the type of game this team wants to play and that is, to be blunt, playing a smart, puck possession style of game. No offense to Booth's intelligence but his hockey sense leaves a lot to be desired. We are a team that thrives on the cycle and having players who can read plays, anticipate the right position to get into to help maintain puck possession, Booth is completely hopeless at this, not the mention he has literally zero vision to make a decent pass.

He just don't work here and Gillis now knows it.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I think there's some truth in RD's post, although as usual it's extremely early to be jumping all the way to his particular brand of hellfire and damnation just yet.

The fact is that David Booth did not arrive in Vancouver as the player that the Canucks expect to receive in the deal - he is going to have to spend a long time and a lot of energy working on his game to become that player and to fit into this system.

What success he will have in those efforts remains to be seen, but this organization has praised his work ethic and commitment so there is some reason to believe that when it really counts we will see that player. Of course, that time is 60 games and five months from now..

Until then I expect David Booth to provide a whole lot of fodder to the people who want to conclude that he is a failure and the deal was a mistake.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

dbr wrote: What success he will have in those efforts remains to be seen, but this organization has praised his work ethic and commitment so there is some reason to believe that when it really counts we will see that player. Of course, that time is 60 games and five months from now..
Praise? Believe? Did you buy a Booth jersey?
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Yes David, there is often a kernel of truth amidst the rambling of madmen. But let us not forget that eerily similar posts were once made by eerily similar posters about the hopeless hockey future of the Sedins, Kesler, and a certain stumpy-legged center. It gives some folks joy to constantly harp on the negative.

Booth will never be a playmaker or an elite sniper. His true value will be realized down the stretch and into the playoffs -- when the checking tightens up and his speed, strength and willingness to stand in front and get his nose dirty will pay dividends.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society