The BS Suspension Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: The BS Suspension Thread

Post by KeyserSoze »

Aaronp18 wrote: The d-man had all the time he needed to avoid contact with Smith's head
I disagree.
IMO the bad decision was by the forward for attempting to cut into the middle at the last second, and not realizing that the Dman was playing it so aggressively.
Aaronp18 wrote: He just clips the front of him as he's hitting him, he's actually pretty lucky Smith wasn't a better player. If he stopped short a bit d-man Smith would have flown right by him. I just don't think he expect the d-man to run at him like that, probably figured he would play him like a more standard one on one.
Definately, but unfortunately it is the job of the forward to be aware of this.
Aaronp18 wrote: Either way, the d-man should have targeted more of him body, catching shoulder and hip.
I believe that if the forward stayed course instead of cutting to the middle at the last second it would have been a much more square hit as you are suggesting.

EDIT - it's a tough call, but I think it is unfair to pin it all on the Dman like Shanny did.
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

Gotta agree that it can't all possibly be the dman's fault. Ya he was attacking but Ben Smith needs to still realize its a full contact sport and if he is going to cut into the middle like that.. likely he is going to be hit. Sadly he was good enough to get around most of the hit... except for his head...

I think the thing i like least about Shanny's review though is that during the Boyes suspension he makes reference to Colbourne not making any sudden movements. "While the play develops quickly, Colborne makes no sudden movements just prior to, or simultaneous with, the hit; placing the onus on Boyes not to hit him in the head. "

This to me seems to be exactly what did happen with the Smiths... Regardless i do like that he is being proactive in trying to clean up the game.

The thing i don't like thus far into preseason though, is how there have been so many hits from behind and boarding plays that have been pretty bad.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Sounds like it's time to start suspending for hits from behind no matter what the checkee does. I know this is wrong to say, but would a star player PLEASE do something like this so we can see the outcome. More importantly, a star player that is good friends with Shanahan.
--
Aaron Rome should consider himself lucky that he only got four games based on this decision.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

I'm so disheartened by what I consider to be the pussification of the NHL that I honestly haven't had a look at any of the preseason incidents.

I also find it incredibly frustrating to see guys getting massive suspensions for stuff that was let go against us in the playoffs last year. So they give president setting suspension on Rome and Torres, but wait until the preseason to start calling hits from behind (several of which resulted in injuries to our guys)

Nope I cant take the aggravation so I would far rather just plug my ears and just hope that this nonsense passes before one of our players gets one of these ridiculous suspensions.

We are literally a year and a half away from Willie Mitchell almost killing John Towes when he blindsided him coming out of the penalty box. A hit that basically everyone including Towes said was clean and a result of Towes not having his head up.

If that hit happens tomorrow Mitchell be vilified around the league and I cant even imagine how long he sits.

The NHL just always misses the mark on this type of thing and what we are seeing now is just an over the top response spurred on by the Canadian media who just don't have enough content for all of their medium.

At some point of course the same media will create a huge back lash and the league will respond to it by going way to far the other way.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

What will be really interesting is seeing how Shanny and the refs officiate the playoffs this year. I have a feeling much will depend on the sweater the offender is wearing as opposed to the cheapness of the play... just like last year.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Rumsfeld wrote:What will be really interesting is seeing how Shanny and the refs officiate the playoffs this year. I have a feeling much will depend on the sweater the offender is wearing as opposed to the cheapness of the play... just like last year.
For all decisions involving Canucks he will ask Brian Burke, Dave Nonis, Tom Galardi, Pavel Bure, and the posters at Calpuck.

For all issues concerning the Bruins he will ask Greg Campbells dad.

For all issues involving the Kings he will ask Mike Murphy.

For all issues involving the Hawks he will ask legendary coach Scotty Bowman.

For all issues involving the Red Wings or Devils he will decide on his own.

For all issues involving any small market or Canadian team he will revert to his friends at NBC.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:What will be really interesting is seeing how Shanny and the refs officiate the playoffs this year. I have a feeling much will depend on the sweater the offender is wearing as opposed to the cheapness of the play... just like last year.
For all decisions involving Canucks he will ask Brian Burke, Dave Nonis, Tom Galardi, Pavel Bure, and the posters at Calpuck.

For all issues concerning the Bruins he will ask Greg Campbells dad.

For all issues involving the Kings he will ask Mike Murphy.

For all issues involving the Hawks he will ask legendary coach Scotty Bowman.

For all issues involving the Red Wings or Devils he will decide on his own.

For all issues involving any small market or Canadian team he will revert to his friends at NBC.
:lol:

Yep, and any transgressions against the Sedins shall be deliberated by Mike Milbury.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I'm not saying this was entirely the d-man's fault. The forward tried to get around him but obviously didn't.

They both played a role in what happened, I still think the d-man Smith could have avoided contact with the head a little better and that's why he was suspended.

The forward Smith received his punishment as well.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Potatoe1 wrote:I'm so disheartened by what I consider to be the pussification of the NHL that I honestly haven't had a look at any of the preseason incidents.

I also find it incredibly frustrating to see guys getting massive suspensions for stuff that was let go against us in the playoffs last year. So they give president setting suspension on Rome and Torres, but wait until the preseason to start calling hits from behind (several of which resulted in injuries to our guys)

Nope I cant take the aggravation so I would far rather just plug my ears and just hope that this nonsense passes before one of our players gets one of these ridiculous suspensions.

We are literally a year and a half away from Willie Mitchell almost killing John Towes when he blindsided him coming out of the penalty box. A hit that basically everyone including Towes said was clean and a result of Towes not having his head up.

If that hit happens tomorrow Mitchell be vilified around the league and I cant even imagine how long he sits.

The NHL just always misses the mark on this type of thing and what we are seeing now is just an over the top response spurred on by the Canadian media who just don't have enough content for all of their medium.

At some point of course the same media will create a huge back lash and the league will respond to it by going way to far the other way.
How's my favourite ostrich doing?

Like it or not Spudly, you have to get your head out of the sand.

Without looking at the preseason decisions by Grand Stand Shan the Man, you have certainly filed an opinion.

I have no problem with the Smith call, but like most, I am cautiously waiting for the consistency to develop.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Topper wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:I'm so disheartened by what I consider to be the pussification of the NHL that I honestly haven't had a look at any of the preseason incidents.

Without looking at the preseason decisions by Grand Stand Shan the Man, you have certainly filed an opinion.

I have no problem with the Smith call, but like most, I am cautiously waiting for the consistency to develop.
Consistency is indeed the key. I do not have a problem with all the suspensions so far even if they were for the Canucks. Players have a hard time following when the rules are bent different ways all the time. As long as the suspensions are consistent,transparent, and fair for everyone, players will eventually learn to adapt. Hopefully, hits from behind and headshots will be a thing of the past...
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote:

I saw a couple of the grave offences on highlight packages so I get the gist of the nonsence.

Not to mention the kid who got suspended for the hit against one of our guys which most people dont even remember. What did that draw 5 games?
nucksin7
AHL Prospect

Post by nucksin7 »

Ok first off, im in the Don Cherry camp that this suspension BS is just that- BS. I believe most of these "headshots" are just media made monsters. Anytime you play it back in super slow motion - from 5 different camera angles - and then play it on a loop broadcast over 3-5 major networks - its gonna look worse then it is.

Anyways, having said that, i'd like to point out this play from the Canucks against Pittsburgh. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufBMbuijRKE ((wish i had a better video- i have it on my PVR & it looks a lot worse in slow mo))

Its the Daniel Sedin goal. Before Daniel scores, Burrows goes for the wrap around. As hes digging at the puck, James Neal charges in on the backcheck, leaves his feet & lunges at Burrows with a flying elbow! Burrows is spins off the check so the elbow never makes full contact - in fact Burrows gets right back up unscathed. But to me, its obvious that Burrows's head is the primary target of this hit. So where's Shanahan? Wheres the media hit-squad? No injury = nobody cares.

This rule change is a joke.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

nucksin7 wrote: No injury = nobody cares.
The preseason suspensions disagree with your opinion. However, of course injuries are going make bigger news. Sorta like how they only show goals in game replays, as opposed to routine saves. (Luongo jokes aside) While the media may be making a BIGGER issue out of head shots, it would be insane to ignore the injuries and the seriousness of them. Bigger, faster players with bigger harder pads whilst heads are not getting any harder. This is not a black and white issue and there is not a black or white solution. (place banana jokes here) Are Shanahan's suspension heavy handed? I think so. But like every rule change we have seen, there is bound to be some growing pains. (err, anyone remember the uproar over interference calls after the lockout?)

Or for you old timers, remember the riots in 1929? when the forward pass was made legal? Man, I thought that was going to ruin hockey.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

No previous history, no injury, tried to get the shoulder = $2,500 for Mr Weber

Fair enough?

I'd say so, but I don't agree with severity of injury being a factor in the process and I don't see the attempt for the shoulder, but I am content with $2,500 max allowable fine.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Topper wrote:No previous history, no injury, tried to get the shoulder = $2,500 for Mr Weber

Fair enough?

I'd say so, but I don't agree with severity of injury being a factor in the process and I don't see the attempt for the shoulder, but I am content with $2,500 max allowable fine.
The fine is really pointless, as strangelove pointed out in the gdt. 1/3000th of his salary?

I'm glad he didn't get suspended though, it would only make things easier for Calgary.