The BS Suspension Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: The BS Suspension Thread

Post by vic »

Looks like Ben Kuzma is ready to go with the article:

http://www.theprovince.com/Bruins+March ... story.html

edit: from when I posted this msg
SUNRISE, Fla. — A telephone hearing assured it wouldn't be stop-the-press news and when Brad Marchand was assessed a XXXXXX-game suspension Monday for his low-bridge hit that concussed Sami Salo on Saturday — the maximum allowed for that form of discussion with NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan — the bigger issue now is what will become of the widely interpreted and confusing clipping rule.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/Bruins+March ... z1j02qGGPn
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I love Claude Julien's response to all of this. I get that a coach and and GM have to stand by their players, but Marchand is getting to be the kind of player that you just have to hang out to dry. When a guy is continually going out of his way to hurt other players management just looks foolish if the continually defend them. Charrelli, for his part, didn't defend Marchand, he simply fired back at Gillis and Vigneault telling them to leave it alone and let the league deal with it.

The Bruins ownership should probably direct Charrelli to muzzle Julien too. He is making the Bruin's organization look pretty obtuse. His reasoning when he defended Marchand was pathetic, saying that Marchand had to protect him self. From who? Sami "The Finnish Juggernaut" Salo? :lol: If that wasn't bad enough, when Vigneault called that comment stupid, Julien's response is to call AV a hypocrite, tells him to check his own backyard, and points at Burrows putting his stick in Thornton's throat. Yeah, OK. Burrows did get his stick a bit high, but he didn't spear him, just responded in kind and that's where his stick was. There's a huge difference between intentionally low bridging a guy and having your stick be less than 100% controlled when you retaliate with a poke at a guy in a scrum. I wonder what Julien would have to say about stickwork if they played back Peverly's intentional hack on Bieksa last spring? Probably just part of the game right?
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mëds wrote:I love Claude Julien's response to all of this. I get that a coach and and GM have to stand by their players, but Marchand is getting to be the kind of player that you just have to hang out to dry. When a guy is continually going out of his way to hurt other players management just looks foolish if the continually defend them. Charrelli, for his part, didn't defend Marchand, he simply fired back at Gillis and Vigneault telling them to leave it alone and let the league deal with it.

The Bruins ownership should probably direct Charrelli to muzzle Julien too. He is making the Bruin's organization look pretty obtuse. His reasoning when he defended Marchand was pathetic, saying that Marchand had to protect him self. From who? Sami "The Finnish Juggernaut" Salo? :lol: If that wasn't bad enough, when Vigneault called that comment stupid, Julien's response is to call AV a hypocrite, tells him to check his own backyard, and points at Burrows putting his stick in Thornton's throat. Yeah, OK. Burrows did get his stick a bit high, but he didn't spear him, just responded in kind and that's where his stick was. There's a huge difference between intentionally low bridging a guy and having your stick be less than 100% controlled when you retaliate with a poke at a guy in a scrum. I wonder what Julien would have to say about stickwork if they played back Peverly's intentional hack on Bieksa last spring? Probably just part of the game right?
It does not matter how we, Canucks fans, think. The media in the east would always paint the Canucks as villains. It is always the Canucks' fault.

I am still puzzled why Neely would not say something by now. His career was cut short by dirty plays. I would assume that he would come forward and admits that Marchand needs to clean up his game.
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

Julien is looking like an idiot more and more. He should keep his mouth shut before it gets worse. I thought he did alright commenting after the game (though he was steamed) but this recent pissing match with Alain is not serving him well.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Yes !! Marchand gets 5 games!!!
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

mathonwy wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=384636

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/consol ... L|NHL|home

WOW

:shock:

5 games.

Holy shit. There IS a Santa Claus.

Hmm, given the way Shanny describes the incident (predatory, deliberate, illegal etc) I'm kind of surprised he didn't suspend Marchant longer.

The kid has been in the league only a year and a half and is a clear douche bag, if Shanny thinks it's a deliberate attempt to injure, why not totally torch the kid when he obviously has it coming.

Oh well like I said, hopefully he sends out something showing clearly what is a legal and acceptable hip check, would be a big mistake to take that out of the game.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

eduhatschek Eric Duhatschek
If Brian Burke is right and the rats truly are taking over the NHL, we need a new term to describe the phenomenon. I propose: Rat-titude.

eduhatschek Eric Duhatschek
As in, what did Brad Marchand do to deserve a 5-game suspension for his hit on Sami Salo? He brought a lot of Rat-titude to the game.

--

Lol... guy even looks like a Rat.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

mathonwy wrote: Lol... guy even looks like a Rat.
Hilarious! I can see him sporting a 24" rat tail out the back of his helmet...
If you need air...call it in
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Hey now...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Pretty clear the NHL hated that hit. It is somewhat surprising it isn't more games given the terms Shanahan used but they got the suspension 100% correct. It was very dirty and the NHL has made a statement with the suspension. I also think that it's a clear shot over the bow of the Bruins boat. LEague is getting tired of them.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

tantalum wrote:Pretty clear the NHL hated that hit. It is somewhat surprising it isn't more games given the terms Shanahan used but they got the suspension 100% correct. It was very dirty and the NHL has made a statement with the suspension. I also think that it's a clear shot over the bow of the Bruins boat. LEague is getting tired of them.
I agree that the NHL got it right here. I was expecting only 2-3 games, given the hit arguably cost the Bruins that game, but 5 games is a strong message. Dirty hit, would have been dirty pre-lockout and, like the Porter-Booth hit, just because it was a check to the head (headline-grabbing) doesn't make it any less dirty or dangerous.

Hopefully AV and Gillis can let it rest now. No point in getting into a pissing match with the Bruins. They're dirty, they got called on their dirtiness, we can all move on with our season.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

It wasn't AV or MG who initiated the war of words it was Julien either post game or hte next morning. He was the guy that said " Marchand was just trying to protect himself".

If you go back in the sequence in the game about 30 seconds, Salo and the Rat had bumped in almost the same spot, Then they turned back to the middle where the Rat proceeded to rabbit punch Sami twice in the back of the head.

Clearly the Rat was pissed that Salo had blocked him out on the first clearing attempt.

Julien IMO made himself look like an ass with his comments. Talk about accountability.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

I don't think the BIG BAD BRUINS got the message. They are what they are...

From the fuxking rat
Brad Marchand on Shanny, Refs decision - "they obviously don’t know the rules of hockey" - http://es.pn/wk2Xlv
Marchand on AV: He obviously wanted to take a shot at me and stir the pot for the hearing. It just shows the class he has or lack thereof.
Statement from Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli Regarding Suspension to Brad Marchand
"While we respect the process that the Department of Player Safety took to reach their decision regarding Brad’s hit on Sami Salo, we are very disappointed by their ruling.

"While we understand that the Department of Safety is an evolving entity, it is frustrating that there are clear comparable situations that have not been penalized or sanctioned in the past.

"It is equally disappointing that Brad sought the counsel of the Department this past Fall for an explanation and clarification regarding this type of scenario so as to adjust his game if necessary. He was advised that such an incident was not sanctionable if he was protecting his own safety. Given our feeling that Brad was indeed protecting himself and certainly did not clip the player as he contacted the player nowhere near the knee or quadricep, today’s ruling is not consistent with what the Department of Player Safety communicated to Brad."
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Jovocop wrote:I don't think the BIG BAD BRUINS got the message.
I really think Chiarelli and especially Julien made a huge mistake backing Marchand's explanation in this. Shanahan (and the league) found that Marchand was lying when he said he was defending himself. They called him on his horseshit. I don't think anybody was buying that, but by throwing their support behind that nonsense, Shanahan has now said Julien and Chiarelli are liars by proxy.

There is a time and place to back your player, and that was not it. Chara on Pacioretty, you go to the wall. Lucic on Miller, you go to the wall. They knew going in to the phone hearing that 5 games was the max, they should have taken that charity and shut up. But by lobbying (exactly what the accused Vigneault of doing), they put their own integrity at issue and look like fools for it.

I think Marchand is smarter than people give him credit for, he identified the only plausible way for him to weasel out of that situation and sold it hard, but the tape speaks for itself. And by repeating it, Chiarelli and Julien look like either liars or idiots.

Reading between the lines, I bet the Bruins were warned to keep it in line, and I bet Marchand specifically was warned in advance of the game. Like one of the commentators said, the question before this game was who will get ejected and who will get carried out. Everybody could see something like this happening, I just thank god it was the little rat instead of Lucic, who could have inflicted much greater harm had he stayed in.