11/12 Injury Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: 11/12 Injury Thread

Post by rats19 »

Fred wrote:
Fred is probably thinking the Canucks should send a player out to destroy McGinn, something like hitting him from behind to take him out of the game for the rest of his life...
Is there a purpose to you wanting to put words into my mouth ? I never stated that. When Lucic ran Miller with no response I'm thinking the Sabres are taking a look around at what's available, they're lucky Miller wasn't hurt worse, a lot of the season rests on his shoulders. Edler is pretty important to the Canucks to and I don't think it should be open season on running the guy. But that's just me

Strangely enough I watched the Sens GM...Murray last night saying he thought in their next game against Pitts they'd need to dress a couple of players like Matt Carkner and Chris Neal...but then what does he know. That was last night not 20 years ago

I don't know how to run a poll but I'd sure be interested to see how many fans actually believe they know better than the professional within the game. Many teams carry a tough guys to try and prevent hot heads running amuck, good insurance IMO. The fact Edler is maybe OK is more to do with luck
It was 100% clean fred......mcginn just prepared better for the impending collision.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Fred wrote:I don't know how to run a poll but I'd sure be interested to see how many fans actually believe they know better than the professional within the game.
For real?

There's a hypocrisy going on here, Fred. The Booth thread ran on and on for three or four mother-loving pages regarding your stance on people "knowing better than the pros in the game."

But the truth of the matter is, you're the one that keeps second-guessing Mike Gillis and Alain Vigneault - two pro that guided their team to the SCF last season - and spouting out reasons why these two men should be runnning things differently. Quite differently, in fact.

There's nothing wrong with that - that's what a hockey forum is for - but you're pitching grenades into the discussion and then hiding behind a "holy shit people think they know more than pros" when you get taken to the mat for it.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

wienerdog wrote: For real?

There's a hypocrisy going on here, Fred. The Booth thread ran on and on for three or four mother-loving pages regarding your stance on people "knowing better than the pros in the game."

I'm starting to feel like Fred is just trolling me.

Could anyone really believe the stuff he has been saying?

BTW those 2 old CFL'ers scrapping on stage is the best thing I have ever seen in my life. I may watch that clip 100x and still think it's awesome.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Potatoe1 wrote:I'm starting to feel like Fred is just trolling me.

Could anyone really believe the stuff he has been saying?

BTW those 2 old CFL'ers scrapping on stage is the best thing I have ever seen in my life. I may watch that clip 100x and still think it's awesome.
Actually, no I can't (Fred) and yeah, that shit was gold (grandpappy smackdown).
RespectYourEdlers
CC Rookie

Post by RespectYourEdlers »

Salo pulled his groin shooting a puck, then aggravated it by kicking a puck later on.

No details on the injury other than that.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Raymond was a perimeter player to begin with so it will be interesting to see if he really shys away from contact for a bit upon his return. Glad he is back though. He had a tough year with all his injuries, never got off to a good start and then the spinal injury. Hope he recovers as best he can and I look forward to seeing his speed in the line up once again.
The only HW the Canucks need
Waffle
CC Veteran

Post by Waffle »

I agree HW.

I saw two versions of what the injury was that he suffered. One was that he had a fracture through the body of a vertebra in his mid to lower back (I could never find a post that said which one). The other was that he had a compression fracture of a vertebra. These are two different injuries with different prognoses. We haven't been told how they have healed, at least as far as the bone itself is concerned. It would be harder to determine how the ligaments and muscle around the injured area and in other areas of his back have healed. Probably performance will be the best test.

I am not sure how he will fare on the fourth line. There is usually some crashing and banging going on, so he probably won't be able to avoid that, and maybe a few solid hits will get him back into the game and determine if he is up to it or not, regardless of whether or not he still has the same skating speed and power, and whether or not he has lost anything on his wrist shot and back hand (all things that could be effected by a back injury). I don't think he ever had a very good slap shot.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

He is slotted to play on the third line I think. Maholtra drops down to the 4th. Raymond is better suited to the top nine anyway so I like that move. It does mean that Hodgson will no longer be protected in taking draws as Maholtra will be off his line. So it is show time for Cody at centre taking all the draws now.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

Volpatti done for the year? Bitz hit the ice today - capology :)

benkuzma
Well, that explains a lot. RT @JamiesonCanucks Volpatti done for year after labrum tear discovered in shoulder. Was a cumulative injury.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Mike Duco, Mancari ?

I would think it will take some time for Bitz to get into game shape
cheers
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Whats the hurry? Raymond is back and I assume now officially reactivated so he should be able to dress.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Gillis is the man.

Volpatti with a cumulative shoulder injury right after the botched Raymond lineup insertion and combined with Bitz ready to start skating.....lol
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Canucks lose Volpatti for the year
by The Canadian Press - Story: 68093
Dec 3, 2011 / 5:21 pm

Aaron Volpatti's first goal of the season was also his last.

Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault said Saturday the Canucks fourth-line left-winger will miss the rest of the campaign due to a shoulder injury that will require surgery within the next week.

"Patti has been having some shoulder issues," Vigneault said. "He had an MRI done (Friday) and, unfortunately, it showed a labrum tear."

Volpatti scored in Thursday's 6-5 loss to the Nashville Predators, his first goal in almost a year.

The last one came Dec., 20, 2010, in St. Louis during a rookie season split between the NHL and the minors. The 26-year-old from Revelstoke, B.C., signed with the Canucks as a free agent out of Brown University in March 2010 and secured full-time NHL employment this season after a strong prospects camp, training camp and pre-season.

Volpatti dressed for all but two games, when he was a healthy scratch, and provided stability to a fourth line that underwent constant change last season.

"He was a real disappointed young man (Saturday) morning. He was finding his rhythm in this league and on our team," Vigneault said. "(He) was well appreciated in his role by his teammates and his coaches. But, unfortunately, it isn't something that you can control."

Volpatti's absence will result in the second significant change to the fourth line this season. Earlier, Dale Weise, picked up on waivers from the New York Rangers, replaced Viktor Oreskovich, who was sent to the minors.

"It doesn't change what Dale Weise is supposed to be, which is an energy and physical player," Vigneault added. "So he's gotta continue to do that."

Oreskovich, now with the Chicago Wolves of the AHL, has struggled in the minors and is not expected back anytime soon. For now, the Canucks do not plan on calling anyone up to replace Volpatti, who joins a list of hard-luck grinding Vancouver forwards who have been sidelined with injuries. All were off-season free agent signings.

Steve Pinizzotto is out for the season after suffering a shoulder injury in the exhibition campaign; Byron Bitz is recuperating from hip surgery; and Andrew Ebbett has missed nine games with a fractured foot suffered while blocking a shot Nov. 10 in Los Angeles.

Bitz skated on his own Saturday for the first time since undergoing surgery, but is not expected to return anytime. He may go to the minors for conditioning purposes first, while Ebbett is at least two weeks away from returning.

"That's why you need depth," said Vigneault with a chuckle.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Higgins out with foot infection, Hansen to second line with Kesler and Booth, and Oreskovich called up. I would assume Mancari would be ahead of Oreskovich :?: