Just Remembering

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

JNF
CC Rookie

Just Remembering

Post by JNF »

I am still trying to grasp that hockey is starting again, it seems like the finals was just weeks ago. I felt nostalgic so I went back in time. Bure, Linden, McLean, Brown, Courtnall, and you Lafayette hitting the post in game 7. Memories.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xL3_T9N ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1S2M6cr ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3t-PXop ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oYABjkWiJc Hey you want grit fuck you Churla :D
JNF
CC Rookie

Re: Just Remembering

Post by JNF »

Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

JNF wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITJyVfiD ... re=related fuck you Milbury
hey is Larry Robinson one of the best ever?
More proof that players used to have so much respect for each other :roll:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

As an asside.........which team did you like better ? I am far and away a bigger fan of the 94 team myself.

I loved the early 90's Canucks. If the Rags didn't get that extra day break between games 6 and 7 we aren't having this conversation Mondi.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:As an asside.........which team did you like better ? I am far and away a bigger fan of the 94 team myself.

I loved the early 90's Canucks. If the Rags didn't get that extra day break between games 6 and 7 we aren't having this conversation Mondi.
Much bigger fan of the '94 team. How can anyone not be? Little comparisson......

Goaltending: McLean was Luongo's lesser when it comes right down to it, but he played like Luongo's better when the chips were down and the team needed a bail out (see game 1 of the SCF vs NYR).

Defense: Not nearly as deep in 1994. Not as skilled overall.

Forwards: Less talented in 1994, but the leaders were more tenacious and would NOT have let a bigger team bully them.

Coaching: Quinn was not afraid to sit a guy who wasn't performing. Vigneault only punished a select few. I still think the team may have reset in game 6 if Luongo had been pulled after the second early and weak goal rather than waiting for the 3rd to put us out of it.

In 1994 the team walked away without a Stanley Cup, but they could walk away with their heads held high because they left it all on the ice and were beaten by a stacked team and league politics. In 2011 the team also walked away without a Stanley Cup, but they couldn't do so nobly, granted they were beaten by politics again, but only a few of the guys left it all on the ice.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: I loved the early 90's Canucks. If the Rags didn't get that extra day break between games 6 and 7 we aren't having this conversation Mondi.
Question for ya Blob.....

If the officiating had been honest enough to penalize Chara every time he sat on a player behind the B's net, and thereby giving us a plethora of deserved 5-on-3 PP chances, or, if they had sent whichever Boston Bully at the time to the penalty box every time he took a liberty in an attempt to intimidate one of our players, would we still be having this conversation?

Daniel Sedin getting a penalty for taking 5 shots to the head after a whistle pretty much summed up the way the league wanted that series to go.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

C'mon Mëds, the fix was in?? :lol:

Wake up, this is how they ref in the SCF buddy!

You're blinded to the pussiness due to all that koolaid you've been drinking ole pal.

Oh you know it's true....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:C'mon Mëds, the fix was in?? :lol:

Wake up, this is how they ref in the SCF buddy!

You're blinded to the pussiness due to all that koolaid you've been drinking ole pal.

Oh you know it's true....
I'm guessing you ignored the back-to-back SCF played by Detroit and Pittsburgh.

And Detroit's players have almost always benefited from the protection of the refs.

I'm not saying it was fixed, but the playing surface was definitely tilted in Boston's favor. The Canucks were given a chance to win, just not the same chance that the Bruin's were.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:As an asside.........which team did you like better ? I am far and away a bigger fan of the 94 team myself.
I'm unsure because of aging. If i would be in my youth and experience this team last season i would say it's quite even but the 94 team was closer by a margin to win it all.

Different times, different teams, i like both. Nowadays i see things from another perspective, 94 were the good ol' times.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hey Mëds, how's the security guard gig?

Sorry to take bite of your argument.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
JNF
CC Rookie

Post by JNF »

I took the loss in 94 way harder than this one. We were down 3 games to 1 and really showed some grit. Marchand would have been killed by the 94 team. The nucks in 94 never lost a game by the score of 8-1. Yes Mondi Burrows goal was huge but so was Bure's in game 7, McLeans stop on Reichal was the biggest save in Canucks history.

I said to some friends that the Canucks were going to beat the Bruins in 5. We never showed up in Boston but the 94 team showed up in New York. That was a great team :D

I still think we will be there in 2012 and finally we win that fucking trophy. :evil:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

The '94 run will be remembered for a couple of reasons. First, the team wasn't expected to make it the finals like last year's version. Also, that 94 team had a lot more emotion compared to this years talented, calm and controlled team.

Bure and Linden? Momesso? That team had it all. That's why it will be remembered.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

The 94 team had guts and balls.

They played to a level that they had no business doing.

They captured the hearts and imagination of the city, not to mention, the rest of Canada.

Last season's team had all the makings of a SC champion, all but guts and balls...but they are still our team and I will wish for them to go for it yet again.

I am excited about tonight. First look at the vets and some of the potentials live!

I'll make sure to drink a few at Best Buy Club for you guys ;).
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
JNF
CC Rookie

Post by JNF »

[quote="LotusBlossom"]The 94 team had guts and balls.

They played to a level that they had no business doing.

They captured the hearts and imagination of the city, not to mention, the rest of Canada.

I remember that ugly painted car going to New York, it was a great run. :D
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

JNF wrote: I remember that ugly painted car going to New York, it was a great run. :D
:lol: Looks like they took a few cans of spray paint and went at it. Either that or a really bad paint brush and house paint.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde