The real Cody

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

The real Cody

Post by damonberryman »

I am going out on a limb here to say that I watched Cody as a juniour player and this kid can play hockey. He is not very fast nor is he big. However, his thinking game is superstar in waiting. Since he was drafted I have followed him closely as I do all the high canuck drafts. I was very impressed with him in the world juniours that year with Tavares. All of the commentators said Cody should have got the MVP for the tournament. Anyone who has dealt with the young man sees him as a quality person whose hockey IQ is off the charts. The 'going out on the limb'part is this: I really believe this kid is the one who will take us to the Cup. Not the Sedins, though they will be a big help. Certainly not Lou once the pressure builds. It is going to be him. He has the grit and the heart. Were I in AV's shoes two things would have happened. First, Brad Marchand would still be sucking soup out of a straw. Second, Hodgon would get a very long look indeed centering the second line. I think Kesleer woould be better as a wing because he sure as hell does not like passing the puck, which is the center's main job.
This coming season is the year we will do it, and Hodgson will be the difference. I look forward to any comments as long as they are well thought out and not another attempt to compare dick size or whatever part you happen to have depending on your gender. The article on Hodgson is the first positive thing I have seen on him in some time. i promise this. For us or someone else (god forbid) he will not be a failure.
Fred
CC Legend

Re: The real Cody

Post by Fred »

I'm hoping you're 100% correct

I can only judge on what I've seen so far, so I'm not betting the house on the out come this season.

Kesler looked good playing with Sundin on the wing but..... Sundin could take care of his own end, big body and understood the roll. Kesler is terrific in his own end just ask Toews. Will Hodgson be equally effective as a centre in the NHL. Mind you in the 'Nucks system the first guy back plays centre until the cavalry arrives
cheers
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Wouldnt that just be awesome...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

damonberryman wrote:I really believe this kid is the one who will take us to the Cup. Not the Sedins, though they will be a big help. Certainly not Lou once the pressure builds. It is going to be him. He has the grit and the heart. Were I in AV's shoes two things would have happened. First, Brad Marchand would still be sucking soup out of a straw. Second, Hodgon would get a very long look indeed centering the second line. I think Kesleer woould be better as a wing because he sure as hell does not like passing the puck, which is the center's main job.
My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think we just played in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals with a seriously depleted line up.

I do not believe Hodgson will be taking us anywhere. I hope and assume he will play a role in this team winning, but carrying us? How exactly? He didn't carry his team to a Mem Cup championship. Hell he didn't even win a OHL championship. He was a very good player who helped lead a stacked team to a tourney we almost always win. I hope he'll be a solid, contributing 2nd line centre for a years to come. That would equal success.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I just want to see him get a chance with some quality wingers, and decent ice time. He will never get a fair shake on the 4th line, playing with plumbers.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Madcombinepilot wrote:I just want to see him get a chance with some quality wingers, and decent ice time. He will never get a fair shake on the 4th line, playing with plumbers.
^^^^ This. +1
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

damonberryman wrote:I am going out on a limb here
[Mod edit: play nice, Blob...]
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
damonberryman wrote:I am going out on a limb here
[Mod edit: play nice, Blob...]
Sad I missed whatever you said.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

dhabums wrote:
damonberryman wrote:I really believe this kid is the one who will take us to the Cup. Not the Sedins, though they will be a big help. Certainly not Lou once the pressure builds. It is going to be him. He has the grit and the heart. Were I in AV's shoes two things would have happened. First, Brad Marchand would still be sucking soup out of a straw. Second, Hodgon would get a very long look indeed centering the second line. I think Kesleer woould be better as a wing because he sure as hell does not like passing the puck, which is the center's main job.
My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think we just played in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals with a seriously depleted line up.

I do not believe Hodgson will be taking us anywhere. I hope and assume he will play a role in this team winning, but carrying us? How exactly? He didn't carry his team to a Mem Cup championship. Hell he didn't even win a OHL championship. He was a very good player who helped lead a stacked team to a tourney we almost always win. I hope he'll be a solid, contributing 2nd line centre for a years to come. That would equal success.
Did you even watch that tournament? Dude should have EASILY been the MVP of the tournament but the Toronto media love affair for Tavares made that happen. He didn't "help lead" he lead. Not saying he's going to translate that performance to the NHL level but lets be fair here. Guy was the man in that tourney.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I always have and still do maintain confidence in Cody's ability to become an NHL star. The dude's got game, its already been on display on the big stage. I see no reason, outside of injuries, he can't evolve into a terrific NHL player.

As for moving Kesler, the best defensive centre in the game...

noidontthinksono
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

BladesofSteel wrote:I always have and still do maintain confidence in Cody's ability to become an NHL star. The dude's got game, its already been on display on the big stage. I see no reason, outside of injuries, he can't evolve into a terrific NHL player.

As for moving Kesler, the best defensive centre in the game...

noidontthinksono

Outside of injuries? How about being misused?

He is not a 4th line player yet never got a chance to play 3rd line when Manny went. I admit I liked what Lappy brought to the 3rd line in the playoffs but I would have liked to see Cody get a chance to finish the season as 3rd line centre. We would have been stronger for it I think.
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

The kid's only 21 and hasn't proved all that much in the last two years (I am not blaming him for that, just stating a fact).

I don't see any problem with making him earn a role and I don't think he's done that so far. Handing him significant minutes on a Stanley Cup Contender isn't in keeping with that.

I wasn't disappointed with the job Max Lapierre did in the playoffs anyway, so in my opinion there's not too much to complain about.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

ClamRussel wrote:
dhabums wrote:

Did you even watch that tournament? Dude should have EASILY been the MVP of the tournament but the Toronto media love affair for Tavares made that happen. He didn't "help lead" he lead. Not saying he's going to translate that performance to the NHL level but lets be fair here. Guy was the man in that tourney.
I think it's fair to say many Canucks fans think that one of our prospects should have easily been the MVP. I don't believe that the Toronto media hates Toronto born, OHL star Cody Hodgson though.
spooner
CC Veteran

Post by spooner »

I was listening to the Team1260 (Edmonton) yesterday and Ryan Rishaug from TSN was filling in for Jason Gregor. He had an interview with Rich Winter (Hodgson's agent) about how Claude Lemieux has been hired to work with some of his young clients, Cody being one of them.

Most of the interview was about Lemiuex's role in the off-season and throughout the year but at the end, Rishaug came out and asked Winter about the supposed "rift" that may have existed at one time between Hodgson and the Canucks. I fully expected Winter to dodge the question or give a canned response but he bluntly said that the relationship had been strained and that was one of the reasons Cody had hired him last year. He went on to say that the relationship is now as strong as it has been since the Canucks drafted Hodgson and that Cody is feeling very good about the fact he's finally had a full off-season of being healthy to train and he's really excited about the fact that he may have a chance to get some top 6 minutes at the start the season due to injuries.

If anyone wants to listen, the interview starts at around the 29 minute mark of the "Aug 29 Hour 3" podcast that you can download from here:
http://www.theteam1260.com/_SHARED/Podc ... x?PID=1742

I don't think too many people would be surprise that the Hodgson/Canucks relationship had some issues but it was nice to finally hear someone admit it and more importantly it was nice to hear that everything seems to be good now.

For what it's worth, my take on Hodgson is that he will be a significant contributor at some point in the future. His smarts, his work ethic, his nose around the net, and his determination are too good. It might not be this year but in my opinion, it's just a matter of time.