Fantasy Talk

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Fantasy Talk

Post by tantalum »

ESQ wrote: 18 years?! That is insane!

So is the farm team all minor-leaguers that you pick up with the hope of keeping them cheaply when they become NHL players? And how many keepers do you get? We're just starting out, and 3 keepers is sounding like a very small number...especially because I had the ultimate Homer team last year with Burr, Kes, Edler, Raymond (slightly overpaid, but well worth it :mrgreen: ). I'd love to keep them (well, maybe not Raymond :? ), but my Unholy Trinity in goal is just too perfect.

If I can keep Brodeur, Luongo, Lundqvist, I think I can really mess up the balance of the League :twisted:
The farm team can be anyone provided they have been drafted or are property of an NHL team.

Our pool has 10 categories (G, A, Pts, +/-, def pts, PIM, PP goals, GAA, SV% and goaltender wins)....the winner of each category takes home 5% of the pot. The overall winner takes 30% of the pot, second 10% and third 5% (I think that is how it breaks down). We make 3 goaltenders mandatory because goaltending stats account for a large part of the pool and we don't want someone getting caught with their pants down in those categories (we have rules on how much a goaltender must play to have the categories count so no one can bench a guy after the first shutout of the season and win GAA and SV%).

I'll send you a copy of our rules by PM if you're interested so you can see what we do. It's not a perfect league and changes from year to year as we introduce new rules or modifications but we like it.

Oh and for those interested we use sportsline.com/fantasy for our pool as you can tailor your pool. We use the Hockey news Yearbook for positions each year and can change them in the sportsline set up, add whatever categories we want, our waiver rules etc.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Do a head to head type of league on Yahoo amongst friends. Love it. A couple of other ladies in the league is pretty awesome as well.

For a good guide, if you can pick up the Hockey News Fantasy Guide it usually helps. I believe it's also online.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I think I picked up the print edition of The Hockey News fantasy guide last year, but I couldn't find one that was up-to-date as of the pre-season, and there were some big trades/injuries that weren't in there.

I guess that's the problem with most comprehensive fantasy/pool articles, including online - they want to right their player rankings etc. over the off-season, and a lot can change by the time the puck drops. An example this year is Selanne waiting until September to make up his mind - that will have a HUGE impact on fantasy value for the entire Ducks franchise.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: So we're nearing draft days (I'm only a month away - EEP), so its time for strategy.

I always find that the manager that gets the most depth guys on teams that completely out-strip everybody's expectations is the team that wins. Teams that invest heavily in high-end teams that fall of the face of the earth (like NJ, Philly a couple years ago) are basically doomed.

So, which teams are due for a major improvement and which teams are due for a major drop-off?

Improving Teams

I'm not so high on LA, because San Jose will still be the favourite for that division and its going to be tough for either team to run away with the division. However, Anaheim (if Selanne retires) and Phoenix are due for big steps backwards. I doubt LA's stars will be going cheap, but a guy like Stoll (good for a buttload of faceoffs if you're into that) could go cheap.

I'm intrigued by Columbus. I think Jeff Carter will go cheaper than he should, and he could absolutely explode on that team. Nobody knows CBJ beyond Carter and Nash (for the most part), so whoever ends up in that LW spot with Carter and Nash will be a steal.

I think St Louis will be much better with some good health. With full seasons from their young stars, plus their veterans getting somewhat sheltered minutes, they should be in the playoff hunt. Halak could go very cheap after last year's dissappointment.

I am also very high on Winnipeg. They had some solid stretches early on last season before dropping off, and were desperately in need of a top-to-bottom culture change. They got it. I think everybody will have the emotional boost for at least next year, which may put them in the playoffs. I'm not high on Byfuglien, I don't think he'll like the city too much, and is such a temperamental player.

I think Washington will bounce back (from a 107 pt season :mrgreen: ) and run away with the President's Trophy. Big-time bounce back years offensively with a major upgrade in goal.

Most improved will be NJ, I plan to get Kovie dirt cheap and watch him destroy. Maybe not 100 point territory, but at least a PPG. After the way they finished the season, I expect them to be in the playoff hunt.

Florida is a dark horse, I'd consider them improved substantially, and they should at least hang around the playoff hunt. Buffalo's moves were not for major impact players, which is what they've been missing.

Weakening Teams
I've felt this way for a few years, but I see Detroit taking a step back. Health is always an issue with this team, and they're all another year older. Plus you rarely get sleepers off the Detroit team. Without Rafalski, their D corp is significantly worse than last year, and you can't rely on Lidstrom to play even better than he did last year at 41.

Chicago scared me when they miraculously traded away the untradeable Campbell, but did nothing to replace him except add goons. I think they showed discipline problems (third in the league in PIMs/game), and the players they added will only exacerbate that.

Bryzgalov made Phoenix a good team, and now he's gone. Nuff said. He was also the only fantasy player worth having on that team.

Montreal will suffer with the amount of turnover on its team for a second year and a much improved NE division.

Anyway that`s my picks for sleeper candidates - Winnipeg, Washington, New Jersey, St. Louis. Dark horse picks are Florida and Columbus. Teams that are likely to be overvalued are Chicago, Detroit, Phoenix, Montreal, LA.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

I've been in a Yahoo fantasy league since 2002. Mostly Canadians, a few Yanks, me, an Aussie and as of late a Norwegian.

Really hurts to be beaten by a Norwegian. :mad:

Not a keeper league, we do a new draft every fall.

I used to be able to get a good team by hording sleeper Swedes, but it's getting harder.
People don't underestimate them as much any longer. :(
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Not really fantasy, but whatever...

They're marketing the new EA NHL12 game here with Börje Salming in a Canucks uniform.....

Is this a new Sundin like signing in the makings? :eh:

Scintillator
CC Veteran

Post by Scintillator »

Per wrote:Not really fantasy, but whatever...

They're marketing the new EA NHL12 game here with Börje Salming in a Canucks uniform.....
The one in the pic looks more like a Laffs jersey, no? Hard to tell from the one pic tho'.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Scintillator wrote:
Per wrote:Not really fantasy, but whatever...

The one in the pic looks more like a Laffs jersey, no? Hard to tell from the one pic tho'.

:eh:

Just look at the striping on the socks... and the lack of green anywhere.
2011..... the one that got away.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

It is a leaves uniform. I heard there are some old player legends available in this years edition.

EA always finds breathtaking modifications every year. :mrgreen:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

OK, here is a pic that I stole directly from the ad.
Have the legends play for the team of your choice they say, and this is the picture they have to go with it! :)
JonT21
CC Veteran

Post by JonT21 »

I just got a trade proposal from a friend.

I would trade Backstrom(WSH) and Tavares for Parise and lecalvier

I have more than enough playmakers(Getzlaf,Stastny) and I dont have any 35+ goal scorers besides daniel Sedin that are not risky like Couture and Neal

Should I accept the trade? I need your opinions

My current roster

F Daniel Sedin, Van F Draft
F Ryan Getzlaf, Ana F Draft
F Nicklas Backstrom, Was F Draft
F John Tavares, NYI F Draft
F Logan Couture, SJ F Draft
F Paul Stastny, Col F Draft
F James Neal, Pit F Draft
F Nathan Horton, Bos F DTD Draft
F Joe Pavelski, SJ F Draft
D Tyler Myers, Buf D Draft
D Alex Pietrangelo, StL D Draft
D Tomas Kaberle, Car D Draft
D Kimmo Timonen, Phi D Draft
D
UTIL James van Riemsdyk, Phi F Draft
G Jonathan Quick, LA G Draft
G Marc-Andre Fleury, Pit G Draft
Bench Niklas Backstrom, Min G Draft
Bench Drew Stafford, Buf F Draft
Bench Ville Leino, Buf F Draft
Bench Patrik Berglund, StL F Draft
Bench David Booth, Fla F Draft
Bench Matt Moulson, NYI F
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

JonT21 wrote:I just got a trade proposal from a friend.

I would trade Backstrom(WSH) and Tavares for Parise and lecalvier

I have more than enough playmakers(Getzlaf,Stastny) and I dont have any 35+ goal scorers besides daniel Sedin that are not risky like Couture and Neal

Should I accept the trade? I need your opinions

My current roster

F Daniel Sedin, Van F Draft
F Ryan Getzlaf, Ana F Draft
F Nicklas Backstrom, Was F Draft
F John Tavares, NYI F Draft
F Logan Couture, SJ F Draft
F Paul Stastny, Col F Draft
F James Neal, Pit F Draft
F Nathan Horton, Bos F DTD Draft
F Joe Pavelski, SJ F Draft
D Tyler Myers, Buf D Draft
D Alex Pietrangelo, StL D Draft
D Tomas Kaberle, Car D Draft
D Kimmo Timonen, Phi D Draft
D
UTIL James van Riemsdyk, Phi F Draft
G Jonathan Quick, LA G Draft
G Marc-Andre Fleury, Pit G Draft
Bench Niklas Backstrom, Min G Draft
Bench Drew Stafford, Buf F Draft
Bench Ville Leino, Buf F Draft
Bench Patrik Berglund, StL F Draft
Bench David Booth, Fla F Draft
Bench Matt Moulson, NYI F
I say no. Bäckström plays with Ovechkin, who had an off year last season. If Ovechkin bounces back, Bäckström will easily reach 100 points. And Tavares is at a stage where he should be improving every year.

Is this a keeper league? If so you may also consider that Lecavalier and Parise are born in 1980 and 1984, Bäckström and Tavares were born in 1987 and 1990. The two you have are more likely to improve their stats than the two you would get.

Sure, it also depends on what categories matter in your specific league and how well rounded your team is in order to meet those specific needs, but as a general observation I think you should turn the offer down.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

With all due respect Per, I disagree :)
I am much higher on Tampa Bay than Washington. Tampa has been on the rise, while Washington has been on a bit of a slide. Also, you're right that Backstrom's performance is tied to Ovechkin's, but that makes him less desirable - what happens if Ovi gets hurt?

Also, Parise is playing for his first UFA contract, and with a full healthy year and a motivated Kovalchuk, I think Parise is going to explode.

With Tavares, I'm not sure he ever gets more than 70 points on that team, and I fully expect Grabner to return to earth now that he has his big contract.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

ESQ wrote:...

Also, Parise is playing for his first UFA contract, and with a full healthy year and a motivated Kovalchuk, I think Parise is going to explode.
\
With the exception of last season, Zach Parise has been money in the bank for me.

I'd go with him. Seriously, agreed ESQ.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Well... it's not just me.

If you look at how the fantasy team coaches rank players over at Yahoo (ie couch coaches like us here) they have Bäckström ranked as #21, Tavares at #39, Parise at #45 and Lecavaliere at #71.

Points the last three years per player:
NB 88 101 65
JT --- 54 67
ZP 94 82 6
VL 69 70 54

Goals the last three seasons:
NB 22 33 18
JT --- 24 29
ZP 45 38 3
VL 29 24 25

So, clearly Parise is the best goal scorer, but Bäckström gets more points.
I'd say that Tavares and Lecavaliere are about the same, but Lecavaliere has passed his best before date and is trending downward whereas Tavares is just about to find his stride and is likely to improve over last season.

Whether you prefer Bäckström or Parise should depend on the specific rules of your specific fantasy league and what other players you have.

Between Tavares and Lecavaliere, I'd take Tavares in a heartbeat. I expect every new season for Lecavaliere to be slightly worse than the previous one, and every new season for Tavares to be better than his last. It may be ageism, but hey - that's what experience tells us. Young players improve, old players start having nagging injuries and eventually can't keep up.