From Bountiful to Ponoka

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Post by BCExpat »

SKYO wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:21 am DAAAANG eh?

irfaan gaffar:
Monahan + 1st to Habs to make space.
Yeah that's steep. They did just get a 1st rounder from Florida, so hopefully that's the pick they traded. I haven't heard what Calgary is getting back from Montreal.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Too bad during the suckage years that the Canucks were up against the cap, they could have made these type of deals as well.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BCExpat wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:37 am Apparently a 7 year term. Oh oh :eh:
But only $7M AAV.....not bad really.

Only thing I don't like about it is that now when Van plays the Flames they have to have eyes in the back of their heads
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BCExpat wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:29 am
SKYO wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:21 am DAAAANG eh?

irfaan gaffar:
Monahan + 1st to Habs to make space.
Yeah that's steep. They did just get a 1st rounder from Florida, so hopefully that's the pick they traded. I haven't heard what Calgary is getting back from Montreal.
Better be something good because I don't think Kadri has another season like this last one.....ouch.

Calgary just committed $7M a year to a 32 year old 2nd line center who will likely produce like a 3rd line center for the final 5 years of this contract.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

The Flames probably won't get anything back from Montreal. They had to give up a 1st rounder to get rid of Monahan (cap dump), so they can't really take anything back unless it's a prospect or a pick.

Oh well, they should be fun to watch next season anyway.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Kadri deal is good or the first 3 years, will likely start looking iffy in year 4, and could be an anchor the last 3 years, but they're a legit Cup contender for the next 3-4 years and if they win one, it's a no-brainer of a deal to accept in the end.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

I wonder what is happening with the Monahan deal. It hasn't been officially announced yet. Supposedly they are discussing which 1st round pick is going to Montreal. Or maybe a 3rd team involved? Montreal needs to clear cap space - maybe that's the hold up.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

BCExpat wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:21 pm I wonder what is happening with the Monahan deal. It hasn't been officially announced yet.
Supposedly they are discussing which 1st round pick is going to Montreal.
via NHL:
The Flames traded center Sean Monahan and a conditional first-round pick in the 2025 NHL Draft to the Montreal Canadiens

for future considerations.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nazem-kadri-si ... -335317582
That conditional 1st is mad complex.

Via Brennan Klak tries to explain:
The conditional 2025 1st in the Sean Monahan trade is extremely complex.

The easy one is that MTL can choose to take CGY's 2024 1st instead - if CGY is choosing between 20-32 in round one of 2024.

If Florida and Calgary both end up in the lottery in 2025, and both get top 10 picks, Montreal can get as high as the 2nd overall pick from Calgary in theory.

If Florida's 2025 1st transfers to Calgary, then that pick becomes top-10 protected.

If Calgary does NOT get Florida's 2025 1st, then the pick is only 1st overall protected. In that case, MTL will get CGY 2025 3rd round pick and a conditional 2026 1st round pick.

But wait, there's more!

If CGY's 1st in 2025 is not in the top 10 AND FLA's 1st is not in the top 10 AND has been dealt to another team AND the FLA pick is a better 1st than the CGY 1st, then CGY sends MTL an extra 2025 4th round pick.

MTL will get the better of the CGY/FLA 1sts in 2025 if the FLA 1st transfers over to CGY, and both are not top-10.

If CGY's pick is top-10 in 2025, MTL simply gets the FLA 2025 1st if it has transferred over.

If the pick goes to 2026, MTL gets the better of FLA's or CGY's.

I meant to say in 2025 that if CGY's pick is top-10, but Florida's isn't, MTL just gets the Florida 2025 1st (if it has transferred over)

FLA's original 2025 1st, as a reminder, is lottery-protected from the Tkachuk deal.
Cool? ahahah
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

SKYO wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:02 pm
BCExpat wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:21 pm I wonder what is happening with the Monahan deal. It hasn't been officially announced yet.
Supposedly they are discussing which 1st round pick is going to Montreal.
via NHL:
The Flames traded center Sean Monahan and a conditional first-round pick in the 2025 NHL Draft to the Montreal Canadiens

for future considerations.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nazem-kadri-si ... -335317582
That conditional 1st is mad complex.

Via Brennan Klak tries to explain:
The conditional 2025 1st in the Sean Monahan trade is extremely complex.

The easy one is that MTL can choose to take CGY's 2024 1st instead - if CGY is choosing between 20-32 in round one of 2024.

If Florida and Calgary both end up in the lottery in 2025, and both get top 10 picks, Montreal can get as high as the 2nd overall pick from Calgary in theory.

If Florida's 2025 1st transfers to Calgary, then that pick becomes top-10 protected.

If Calgary does NOT get Florida's 2025 1st, then the pick is only 1st overall protected. In that case, MTL will get CGY 2025 3rd round pick and a conditional 2026 1st round pick.

But wait, there's more!

If CGY's 1st in 2025 is not in the top 10 AND FLA's 1st is not in the top 10 AND has been dealt to another team AND the FLA pick is a better 1st than the CGY 1st, then CGY sends MTL an extra 2025 4th round pick.

MTL will get the better of the CGY/FLA 1sts in 2025 if the FLA 1st transfers over to CGY, and both are not top-10.

If CGY's pick is top-10 in 2025, MTL simply gets the FLA 2025 1st if it has transferred over.

If the pick goes to 2026, MTL gets the better of FLA's or CGY's.

I meant to say in 2025 that if CGY's pick is top-10, but Florida's isn't, MTL just gets the Florida 2025 1st (if it has transferred over)

FLA's original 2025 1st, as a reminder, is lottery-protected from the Tkachuk deal.
Cool? ahahah
Wow - that's complex alright.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Christ on a tryke that a puddle of pus if I ever saw one
If you need air...call it in
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Jeezus Calgary isn't messing around eh :)
el rey del mambo
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I agree with those who say the Flames should be a top team for a few years before dropping off.

I've never liked Treliving much, but what an amazing recovery after being blindsided by Gaudreau and Tkachuk!

I never liked those two either and I'm looking forward to seeing Flames fans booing them lustily.

Huberdeau, Kadri, and Weegar are nice replacements for Johnny Hokey and Thepuke.

It feels like a Weegar extension will be along shortly.

That probably means a Tanev trade... next summer?

Whatevs, but Treliving deserves a lot of credit...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:34 pm
Whatevs, but Treliving deserves a lot of credit...
Absolutely. He's dramatically improved his team while simultaneously losing his top 2 forwards. That's some serious jibblets he's bobbling
If you need air...call it in
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Am I the only one who thinks they got better because they are simply up a Weegar at the end of the day?

Uberdough and Kadri are about the same as Jonny and Tpuke… they just cost more.
They are up a Weegar and down a first, and got older in a hurry.

That ‘window’ ain’t 3-4 years. It’s next. They get bounced in the first or tune Sutter out.. window closed.

Sure they made moves, and did pretty good all things considered.. but they are only improving by a 2nd pairing defenceman.
Moves are shiny, but thise contracts will haunt them.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Kadri will cost another first in four years time.

Flames have made a massive culture shift in their locker room with those shipped out and those added.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.