Rockheads logic.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Rockheads logic.

Post by Joe Rockhead »

The Canucks are somewhat soft.

During the regular season the skill they put out draws penalties or the threat of penalties.

This gives them room to operate and score.

During the playoffs the line is blurred , heavily.

Whats a penalty one game is a free ride the next.

The fact that they were taught dicsiplen ( sorry drunk) turn the cheek, dont argue was based on a belief that more penalties would be called, we would be the good guys.

"Shit Danny did he just belt you"?
"Yeah ref"
"Sorry missed it but next time I'll give em two"
"Good enough ref"
Obviously that was thrown out the window in the playoffs.

Time and time again our top players were open season.

Fair enough. Now we know.

How do we tinker with the line up to compensate for this?

Is there a modern day Al Secord, Tim Kerr, hell Bob Probert to help with top line toughness?

Its obvious being a redwing copycat aint gonna do it.

By the way the redwings are tough and cheap, whoever figures the nucks were like them is on glue.
Don Cherry for P.M.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Rockheads logic.

Post by dr.dork »

Joe Rockhead wrote:The Canucks are somewhat soft.

During the regular season the skill they put out draws penalties or the threat of penalties.

I don't know. At some point it is just execution. When you're beat 3-2 in a series when you're on the powerplay, something is wrong besides being soft. Our depth was seriously tested and it failed.

We can be a good team with the Sedins assuming the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines can carry the team when the opposition decides to focus on our top line.

1. Yes, we are a bit soft.
2. Our top line was outplayed by THEIR checking line. Shades of Chicago last year. If your top line isn't going to score they better not get scored on (!).
3. Goaltending is always a key. It was for Boston and it was one of our achilles heel in the finals. Luongo was horrific in the games we lost, but he wasn't alone. The whole team was horrific. I don't know where we go from here given we have him for 17 million more years, but I doubt he will ever be completely solid in the playoffs. It seems like when he doesn't get enough shots he is almost completely useless.

The other problem with officials swallowing the whistles is that if you assume that will be the case and build your team around that assumption, you might get burned by the NHL changing their mind next year (or the year after). They ignore the rules in the playoffs, but in following years they might change their mind. (The slash on Kesler that broke his stick is a case in point... that is supposed to be AUTOMATIC !). I'm not blaming this loss on the officials...
Howe9
CC Rookie

Post by Howe9 »

Joe Rockhead wrote:The Canucks are somewhat soft.

The fact that they were taught dicsiplen ( sorry drunk) turn the cheek, dont argue was based on a belief that more penalties would be called, we would be the good guys.

"Shit Danny did he just belt you"?
"Yeah ref"
"Sorry missed it but next time I'll give em two"
"Good enough ref"
Obviously that was thrown out the window in the playoffs.

Time and time again our top players were open season.

Fair enough. Now we know.

How do we tinker with the line up to compensate for this?

Is there a modern day Al Secord, Tim Kerr, hell Bob Probert to help with top line toughness?

Its obvious being a redwing copycat aint gonna do it.

By the way the redwings are tough and cheap, whoever figures the nucks were like them is on glue.
I agree with you mostly. I think the thing that pissed me off the mostly was the lack of fight, It was open season on are skilled players. Nobody defended them and i think there lies are major problem. A team should stick up for team mates when Marchand was popping Sedin a couple times nobody did anything. I think there is some minor tweaks that have to be made as we need a strong power forward to play with the Sedin's but also one who is strong enuff to defend them. Move Burrows to second line with Kesler, keep Lapierre, Malholtra and Hansen on third line. Torres on fourth line and add a decent player and a good fighter who isn't going to watch are players get rag dolled every time. Fire AV. I am not sure with Luongo part of me feels bad for him then part of me said get rid of him. He really let his team down this time
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

I think you make some reasonable points.

However, they were one game away from winning it all.

To me, it came down to Boston being the healthier team. Is that luck or being soft? I guess it's up to opinion.

Kesler was the key for almost everything which made him the most valuable forward - but he was playing with a torn groin and hip labrum. He was the key to the PK, scoring from the second line, the key to lessening checking assignments on the top line and the key for energy and physical play for the forwards.

But he was especially the key to the top PP in the league.

It's not a coincidence then PP went in the crapper after he got seriously hurt. He often gained the zone, retrieved loose pucks and had a strong crease presence. He just couldn't do that stuff effectively with his injury and while playing the best defensive team.

Without the PP, the team's softness was exposed.

So, I don't think it would hurt to beef up the team a bit for next year. But with a healthy Kesler this finals, it probably would have been a moot point.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I'll add to that, Larry, the loss of Hamhuis. I think he was keeping us solid in our end. Notice we never really heard anything about Bieksa after the San Jose series? Bieksa was paired with Hamhuis. I also think losing Rome for 4 games was not a minor issue, nor was losing Raymond since we were already without Samuelsson. Ehrhoff wasn't all that healthy and Alberts was out too. The more I think about it, it may very well have come down to injuries. Also, recall that we didn't play any road games in our time zone until the conference final. Boston never left its time zone until the Finals. All just excuses, but I'm sure it contributed to the effort in games six and seven.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Coming home after the game 7 game I'm thinking I'm sweating like a pig and how come it's still hockey being played? I think that has to be addressed maybe make the early round best of 3 or best of 5 at worse. The product was loosing it's appeal and I'm going to the games, for the folks outside of Boston & Vcr I'm sure a lot have long since forgetten about hockey in mid June it comes down to good old greed. The next point, think you're MG making a roster for next season, do you build with bigger tougher because that's how the play-offs are played thuggery on ice, or do you build for a regular season with skill and speed knowing the refs will call infractions. It's the rare team that can combine the two....how man Charas are there available who can out muscle and intimadate and still eat up 30 min a night. Chara is like hens back teeth ain't many around.

At the end of this play-offs we had the following Hamhuis torn groin, Raymond broken back, Edler broken fingers, Higgins broken foot, Samuelsson sports hernia, Kesler torn groin and Rome suspended. To be honest if you forced horses to race with these ailments you'd be in jail courtesy of the SPCA . This forced them to play an NHL rookie...it goes on and on, so the question is build for the play-offs or build for the regular season ??

We need a couple of players like this to jump up Sawyer Hannay & Darren Archibald

Which ever way MG goes I'm thinking there going to be chnages.

And most of all how do you divest yourself of the Luongo contract. I'm thinking you have to tell him in the summer that he's going to be the back up next season and hope he demands a trade He is not dependable, you have no idea when he's going to turn up and you can't go far with that between the pipes
cheers
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Fred wrote:Coming home after the game 7 game I'm thinking I'm sweating like a pig and how come it's still hockey being played? I think that has to be addressed maybe make the early round best of 3 or best of 5 at worse. The product was loosing it's appeal and I'm going to the games, for the folks outside of Boston & Vcr I'm sure a lot have long since forgetten about hockey in mid June it comes down to good old greed.
That's not what the ratings say Fred. In fact they were through the roof.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Well maybe it's me, I just don't see hockey as a summer sport. By the way the ratings right now are completely screwed. They've redefined the system so every things out of kiltter. You can't compare todays rating even with last years. Different animal, different model used, different results found.
cheers
Howe9
CC Rookie

Post by Howe9 »

Fred wrote:Well maybe it's me, I just don't see hockey as a summer sport. By the way the ratings right now are completely screwed. They've redefined the system so every things out of kiltter. You can't compare todays rating even with last years. Different animal, different model used, different results found.
I agree, hockey should not be a summer sport. There is something wrong with that. Cut the amount of games by 22 and you have fixed the problem.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

You can start the season in September.....reduce the exhibition season dramatically....and not provide such stupid long breaks inbetween each series to accommodate NBC. Do all that and you have your season end in May which is reasonable. Hell, even reduce the regular season to a nice even 80 game schedule like it used to be before greed overrode common sense.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Howe9
CC Rookie

Post by Howe9 »

ClamRussel wrote:You can start the season in September.....reduce the exhibition season dramatically....and not provide such stupid long breaks inbetween each series to accommodate NBC. Do all that and you have your season end in May which is reasonable. Hell, even reduce the regular season to a nice even 80 game schedule like it used to be before greed overrode common sense.
I even find 80 games to much, could you imagine if the NFL played 82 games :crazy:
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Joe Rockhead wrote:Is there a modern day Al Secord, Tim Kerr, hell Bob Probert to help with top line toughness?
Well there certainly isn't in the UFA scrap heap.....the best of the bunch that would meet your description might be Scottie Upshall, Joel Ward & Aaron Asham. I wouldn't mind any or all of them but they're hardly Secord, Kerr & Probert.

The trade route awaits....and good luck w/ that GMMG.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

ClamRussel wrote:
Joe Rockhead wrote:Is there a modern day Al Secord, Tim Kerr, hell Bob Probert to help with top line toughness?
Well there certainly isn't in the UFA scrap heap.....the best of the bunch that would meet your description might be Scottie Upshall, Joel Ward & Aaron Asham. I wouldn't mind any or all of them but they're hardly Secord, Kerr & Probert.

The trade route awaits....and good luck w/ that GMMG.
Bertuzzi?
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

No,not bertuzzi... he is ruined here and besides its not what he does that we need other than he is big...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….