Rome Suspension

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

volsungr
CC Veteran

Rome Suspension

Post by volsungr »

Rome gets four games. I thought the hit was fairly clean.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Rome

Post by Island Nucklehead »

volsungr wrote:Rome gets four games. I thought the hit was fairly clean.
Clean hit, just late. There have been a plethora of worse hits in the playoffs this season. Eager on Sedin and McGinn on Rome are two that easily eclipse the violence and dirtyness of Rome's hit.

Obviously Shannahan wants to start a new, harsher trend... but that's absolutely garbage. Scott Stevens would be proud of that hit.

Obviously you feel for Horton getting smashed out of the series... but let's be honest here. You didn't suspend Chara for a late hit with worse result in a meaningless regular season game. I can't help but feel if that was Bieksa or Hamhuis delivering that hit it would have been one game tops, but because it's Rome they throw the book at him.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Not surprised at all. In a high profile game like the Finals, to see a guy go off on the stretcher, the league had to make a statement.

Extreme? Sure - but I'm not surprised one bit. For all we know Horton could be back for Game 4.

From our friend Mike Murphy:
“Two factors were considered in reaching this decision,” said NHL senior vice-president of hockey operations Mike Murphy. "The hit by Rome was clearly beyond what is acceptable in terms of how late it was delivered after Horton had released the puck and it caused a significant injury."
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Rome Suspension

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Chris Pronger got one game for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bJXgDCbICM

This is after another suspension in the Western Finals...

:roll:
Last edited by Island Nucklehead on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I figured 1 game, just to get a suspension on record. but to suspend him into next season for a hit that would have been a 2 minute minor if Horton had his head up is a joke.

When its the severity of the injury that determines the suspension, and not the intent of the hit, we have a problem.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
juggerknot
CC Rookie

Post by juggerknot »

Cornuck wrote:Extreme? Sure - but I'm not surprised one bit. For all we know Horton could be back for Game 4.
Well, Boston has announced that he's done for the playoffs with a severe concussion.

That said, I was surprised, but maybe I shouldn't be given the inconsistency in the league's discipline system. As everyone's said, it was a north-south hit. Definitely late, but not one where the head was specifically targeted (a la Cooke on Savard) but was rather collateral damage (looking at it in slo-mo, I'd say first point of contact is pretty much spread between the chest and jaw).

Problem is, these hits are attempted all the time. Sometimes, they succeed but result in no injury and result in (if you're lucky) 2 mins for interference. More often, the player sees them coming and gets out of the way (I think Raymond did this in the third period last night; forget who was trying to lay him out). Obviously, the league has to punish for the consequence (scary injury; guy looking like he could be paralyzed lying on the ice) but four games in the Final makes no sense given what else has gone on these playoffs.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

4 games for a late but clean hit? wow
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I call bullshit on this. Late hit, penalty? Sure. 1 game, maybe to send a message. But 4 fucking games?? You gotta be kidding me. Like Murphy said had that hit been a little more immediate it would have been a clean hit. This was not premeditated, it was done in the heat of the action and he gets 4 games. Yet a thug like Chara deliberately pushes Pacioretty from the bling side into a stanchion at top speed and causes vertebra damage and a concussion yet that is deemed a legit hockey play. The NHL is a fucking joke with their lack of consistency. Fuck this shit about setting a new standard with Shanny. Murphy made the call on this. Set the new standard next year.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

The suspension will end up helping the Canucks if the Ballard-Tanev pair comes out. Last time they did, they closed out the series against the Sharks.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Adding to the inconsistency is that we have an interim guy handing out suspensions. Who knows what it will be next year when Shanahan gets the hot seat? In the meantime, we have some guy move in for the Finals and starts making shit up. :?

If he didn't go off in a stretcher in front of a national TV audience, it wouldn't be 4 games. We have to make sure that the casual fans understand that the NHL is safe for kids.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
juggerknot
CC Rookie

Post by juggerknot »

Mike Murphy wrote:I probably viewed it like most of you did. I thought it was a late hit. I thought that the body was contacted. But I also thought that the head was hit.

It caused a serious injury to Nathan Horton. So the key components are: the late hit, which I had it close to a second late. We have our own formula at NHL Hockey Operations for determining late hits, and it was late. We saw the seriousness of the injury with Nathan on the ice last night.

That's basically what we deliberated on. We tried to compare it with some of the other ones in the past. But it stands alone. It's why we made the ruling.
Does Mike Murphy believe a word of what he says? This hit "stands alone"? The implication is that he "tried to compare it with some of the other" hits out there, but this was so egregious, so beyond the pale, that a four game suspension in the Cup Finals was the only answer?

Given Murphy's tortured explanation of the Sedin no-goal vs. LA last year ("his intention was to point his toe!"), it shouldn't surprise anyone that this is the idiotic rationale behind this call.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Suspend them as long as they want, but suspend them ALL that long. Said it in another thread, but what the cameras caught of Horton's face and the stretcher bought Rome another 3 games. Feckless and underhanded league policy for policing by consequence and not crime.

I'm not really okay with the hit, because it's so clear that you can't do that and not stand a real shot of hurting him. But Rome didn't get much time to think. I would still, however, have considered the Torres hit more viscous because he thought about it and charged at him. Split-second vs. reasoned and acted.
The suspension will end up helping the Canucks if the Ballard-Tanev pair comes out. Last time they did, they closed out the series against the Sharks.
No question we haven't been icing our best backend by slotting Rome and Alberts over those two. Odd choices by AV. Rome has basically done fine, but Ballard has been a very good player in the past (and even now is better than Rome) and Tanev has exceeded expectations the whole way.
Last edited by the toucan kid on Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
juggerknot
CC Rookie

Post by juggerknot »

Cornuck wrote:If he didn't go off in a stretcher in front of a national TV audience, it wouldn't be 4 games. We have to make sure that the casual fans understand that the NHL is safe for kids.
If Horton had skated off under his own power, dazed, he'd have received two for diving. Just ask Steve Downie.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yeah, I think the suspension was a bit over the top. I think 1 game is fair, maybe 2 games max, but 4? WTF! The hit was maybe 1 second late, there was no intent, it was an open ice hit, not smoking a guy from behind into the boards and Rome is not a dirty player. If anything, Horton made the pass, was kind of caught admiring it, then he accelerated and ran into the brick wall or Rome. Rome was just standing up to his man as all defencemen are taught.

I can't help but to think of the Moore/Nasi hit. I think it was way worse and there was no call or anything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKeXMugPZVA
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

It just keeps getting better.

Mike Murphy stated in his press conference that he consulted w/ Brian Burke before making his decision.

The same Brian Burke who was fired by the Canucks....who fired his good bud Dave Nonis....whom has a personal feud w/ GM Gillis and owner Aquilini....who was fined for tampering w/ the Canucks in the off season...who is currently a GM of a rival team.

How can Burke even take that call....how can Murphy even make it?!?

...then hand out the harshest suspension for the finals in NHL history!!!

for a hit that was LESS THAN A SECOND late when the NHL has stipulated that it gives half a second grace and considers that a legal fair hit. So this hit occured 28 frames after Horton released the puck (video is 30 frames per second)...in other words about 0.47 of a second late.

So how the eFF is Rome supposed to change his line on a hit in less than HALF A SECOND and if he didn't how is THAT worth 4 games in the Cup finals?!?!?????

Murphy said there was nothing wrong w/ the hit and that he hit the body although the head "may" have been hit as well. :eh:

Jeremy Jacobs runs the league and if you don't believe that I've got a bridge to sell you.
The optics of this is BAD from Burke to Bettman.
Moving a newb into this position on the day of the Finals....wtf?!?
If Campbell had to step down why not put a committee in place to vote on these things and come to a consensus that is fair and just.

If I'm Rome I'd be hella pissed right now. Word is he & his agent may file an appeal...the Canucks should do the same.
There is NO precedent for this whatsoever. It cannot be justified one iota. You don't start a NEW STANDARD before game 4 of the Cup finals!!! Start in the summer with Shanahan at the helm so when it comes to playoffs the players know where they stand. Rome is not a dirty player and there clearly was no intent to injure whatsoever. Isn't that why Ferrence wasn't suspended for his blindside late headshot on Halpern:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffiQUe1tfqM
Keep in mind that happened THIS year in the playoffs. Fair hit.

Wasn't this a "late hit"? Remember this clean hit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1enycgSIWJ4

This stinks, Rome was screwed royally and once again the NHL makes itself look like the Mickey Mouse league it really is.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy