Canucks get Maxim Lapierre from the Ducks

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Canucks get Maxim Lapierre from the Ducks

Post by Cornuck »

Just announced on TSN's site

No word on what we're giving up.

Lapierre's profile on Yahoo sports

Lapierre's cap hit: 489k this year, 900k next year.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks get Maxim Lapierre from the Ducks

Post by Cornuck »

Ducks get Joel Perrault and a 3rd.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

In this trade, the Canucks also get MacGregor Sharp.

Sounds like Moose fodder to me. He's played 8 NHL games and is with the Syracuse Crunch.

MacGregor's stats at HockeyDB.com
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Lapierre might fit the agitator fourth liner role?
hamiltoncanucks
CC Veteran

Post by hamiltoncanucks »

Lapierre is a decent faceoff guy too, so him and glass with either higgins or raymond on the 4th line
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

There's our 4th line C. He immediately becomes our leading hitter with 168 to hansen's 128, and gives us some more size at 6'2 200+ lbs. Decent in faceoffs too, 2nd on the Habs in '09 at 53%. Nice addition for some added toughness for the run up to and including the playoffs!

Article from 2008/2009 season with the Hab Maxim Lapierre Wins the 08/09 Jacques Beauchamp Molson Trophy
Lapierre is enjoying his most productive NHL season with 28 points in 78 games (15 goals, 13 assists) and posted the third best rating of all Canadiens players (+9). Averaging close to 15 minutes of ice time per game this season, Lapierre leads the Canadiens with a 66.7% (2/3) success rate in shootouts and boasts the second best winning percentage of all Montreal skaters in the face-off circle (53%).

The 6-2, 207-pound forward, who led the team down the stretch with 39 hits in March...
However he was unhappy with the playing time he got in Mtl afterwards and wanted out, eventually shipped to Ana in Dec. so not a long stay with the ducks. Known as a league super-pest, many comparisions to Burrows-with-less-hands abound, has a penchant for dirty hits... interesting.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

However he was unhappy with the playing time he got in Mtl afterwards and wanted out, eventually shipped to Ana in Dec. so not a long stay with the ducks. Known as a league super-pest, many comparisions to Burrows-with-less-hands abound, has a penchant for dirty hits... interesting.
Well then he won't like his playing time here either. I'm not sure, it's nice to have another center, and one who can win draws, but I thought we had got away from the cheapshot shit a bit and were maturing a bit as a club. This guy is one of the worst and while his attitude might have value at times, might be nice if Kes and Bur would bring him along to being a more disciplined and effective player or something. I like the move, but not so much if he's going to stick out as the only wiseass on the team.

Raymond on the fourth line? Doesn't make any sense to me.

I love that Hansen is our leading hitter, and people take that stat seriously as a gauge of grit and toughness? Sigh... (not meant as a shot at you Badfish)
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

If he can take control of his game he's a genuine centre some one AV can depend on for his 4th line. Makes all the other players better because he gives them more rest time, & in the play-offs with it's compact schedule that counts. Good move IMO.
cheers
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Toucan said :
Raymond on the fourth line? Doesn't make any sense to me.

I love that Hansen is our leading hitter, and people take that stat seriously as a gauge of grit and toughness? Sigh... (not meant as a shot at you Badfish)
After watching Raymond forget to back check Horton in the Bruins game he was lucky to even play on the 4th line..

And yes Hansen hits !! got ballzzz which is why we brought in Higgins and Lapierre - more toughness with size and decent speed too.. The Canucks now have a good 4th line and a guy that can take Raymonds place on the 2nd when the game gets tough..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I don't mind the Lapierre pick up one bit. Hate playing against him, which means he's a good guy to have on your team. Can really piss people off, is an NHL'er and will work well on our fourth line. AV coached him in Junior, and along with the leadership group we have, we should be able to keep his dumb penalties to a minimum and create some havoc on the opposition.

Assuming healthy:
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Samuelsson
Higgins-Malhotra-Hanen
Glass-Lapierre-Torres

That top-9 can score, the bottom line will get some minutes and make hits.
hamiltoncanucks
CC Veteran

Post by hamiltoncanucks »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Assuming healthy:
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Malhotra-Hanen
Glass-Lapierre-Torres

I would definately have Torres on the 3rd line especially if he continues to play the way he did against Boston (or plays that way in the playoffs) Although acquiring Higgins does give us versatility as many guys can move up or down throughout our lineup
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Assuming healthy:
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Malhotra-Hanen
Glass-Lapierre-Torres

I know I was a confirmed Torres basher, but the way he has played in the last 10 games I don't move him off that line. I like Hansen but as it stands I would swap Torres and Hansen. And depending on how the games are going, swap things around to shake it up.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Island said:
Ass
uming healthy:
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Malhotra-Hanen
Glass-Lapierre-Torres
Dunno.. my preference is to field all lines with adequate toughness and ability to score goals
.. Maybe move Torres to 2nd line ?
leave "speed" Raymond on the 4th.
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Frik... with with the options AV has now, we can consider the bottom 3 lines pretty much fluid. the only constants will be that Kesler centers the second line and Malhotra the third.

If things are chippy and slow, raymond goes to the 4th line, and everybody moves up. if someone is shooting the hot hand (like Hansen or whatever), that line gets more ice. if a subtle mix up is needed, Kesler Raymond and Higgins can go second line. if the third line needs a shooter, Samuleson can skate with Torres and Manny.

With Hansen, Samuleson and Higgens all fairly interchangable, the biggest danger now is that AV gets jugglers paws on the lines again and the boys don't get to settle in with regular linemates leading to awkward turnovers.....

What a GREAT problem to have!!!!!!!

:)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I'm not a proponent of flicking players around the lineup on a whim like that.

Raymond basically has to be on the second line, or not in the lineup as far as I'm concerned. To be fair, I also don't think we have any other real consistent producers in the bottom nine to take his place.

I don't really like Higgins frankly. I mean, if Raymond becomes truly unbearable, maybe he works there, but I'd rather put Oreshkovich on the fourth line than Higgins. It's about being able to fit the role.

Lapierre may prove a good pickup, watching him in the playoffs against Washington for one, but he needs to button the trap.