When HODGSON comes up, should he play with the twins?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

This thread is a little bit of a spin-off from this thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7262) but since I was relating this specifically towards Hodgson, I thought I'd create a thread for this.

When Hodgson gets called up here, would you consider putting him up on RW with the twins? (as opposed to a role on the 3rd or 4th line).

-Hodgson is used to playing in a more offensive role anyways. Why play him in a more unfamilar shut down role?
-Although Hodgson is gritty by nature, I don't think his 'grit' will be a tangible asset at the NHL level just yet....1-2 years down the road for sure. As of right now though, putting him in a 3rd or 4th line expecting him to throw around his muscle may be asking for too much.
-Hodgson has a hockey sense and style of play that should mesh well with the twins (atleast on paper). Again - it might be asking for too much from Hodgson at this point, but I think the experience would be good for him...since he would be gaining relevant experience for his future.

The other thing to consider is this: Depth by default. With Hodgson playing with the twins, the Canucks could use Samuelson and Burrows on their others line. Torres-Malhottra-Burrows would be an AWESOME shut down line....one with scoring potential as well. Raymond-Kesler-Samuelson would be solid as well.

What do you guys think? If Hodgson gets called up, should you try him with the twins? Hodgson gets put into a more familiar role, while the other lines get more depth by default.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: When HODGSON comes up, should he play with the twins?

Post by the toucan kid »

Don't know that he would be the best fit actually might be better to put him on the second line and have him be the late man in on the rush/ offensive zone setup than have him driving to the net for the Twins. Samuellson looks good on the third line, but hey, there might not be a space for Hodgson or Schroeder with a healthy lineup this year.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

the toucan kid wrote:Don't know that he would be the best fit actually might be better to put him on the second line and have him be the late man in on the rush/ offensive zone setup than have him driving to the net for the Twins. Samuellson looks good on the third line, but hey, there might not be a space for Hodgson or Schroeder with a healthy lineup this year.
Yeah, good points. I was thinking that he might be a good fit for the twins because...

1) Hodgson is intelligent.
2) Hodgson does have some level of grit (although it won't be an asset at the NHL level just yet, he's not exactly Kyle Wellwood either).
3) Hodgson's mucky and slower skating style is somewhat similar to the twins' (from what I've heard).

Hodgson could be the late-man-rushing-in on that 2nd line with Raymond and Kesler, but I think there might be too much of a discrepancy in their skating abilities. I don't know though. Maybe someone like Schroeder would be a better fit for Kesler's line.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

no. the twins line is fine. he would fit great with kesler and raymond.
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

nucklehead_88 wrote:no. the twins line is fine. he would fit great with kesler and raymond.
Yeah I'm thinking Hodgson between Kesler and Raymond would look good. Samuelsson looks like it isn't coming together for him this year, I'm sure he'll turn it around but.......
The Vancouver Canuck prospect had arguably his finest game as a professional with two goals and three points in the Mantitoba Moose's 6-5 victory over the home-town Griffins. It was the 20-year-old centre's first two-goal game since making the jump from junior this season. Hodgson now has a team-leading five goals in 12 games and his eight points have him second in Moose scoring, one point back of Sergei Shirokov. The enigmatic Russian also had a two-goal game for Manitoba to give him four goals and nine points.

Vancouver's 'other' first-round pick, Jordan Schroeder, scored the game-winner with 4:56 left in the third period to snap a four-game losing streak for the Canucks' AHL affiliate. Schroeder was selected 22nd overall in 2009, one year after Hodgson was selected with the 10th overall pick. The former University of Minnesota Gopher now has one goal and six points in 12 games.
Keeping with the Moose, Billy Sweatt sits tied with Hodgson with three goals and five assists. Sweatt is a plus-4 overall, tied with Kevin Clark for tops among forwards, although the latter has played six fewer games.

cheers
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

nucklehead_88 wrote:no. the twins line is fine. he would fit great with kesler and raymond.
Of course the twins line is fine, but are you saying that we shouldn't attempt to improve/tweak/experiment because of that? With that mindset, Burrows would have never been given the chance to play with the twins in the first place. Also - the twins can play with almost anyone with decent hockey sense/talent/willingness to drive the net. If a guy like Hodgson can do that, then our other lines would get 'depth by default' (i.e. Burrows playing with Torres and Malhottra to form a super checking line that can also score).

If Hodgson works on his skating a bit, then I agree that he'd fit well with Raymond and Kesler at some point.

Just my opinion...
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I don't think the idea is a terrible one Farhan, certainly one of your better thoughts lately! :thumbs:

I think the Sedins are the kind of players that don't really need a guy like Burrows driving the net. They worked well feeding Samuelsson in the high slot for rips, they worked well with Tambellini zipping around the ice. I think Hodgson would do fine with them because they can play the game in so many ways (deep in the corners, behind the net, on the half boards etc). Their play has developed so much in recent years that I don't believe they need that net presence 100% of the time.

I do think he would be a better fit with Kesler and Raymond, if only because I think Burrows is more effective with the Sedins. However, given AV's constant line-juggling, I could see him create several variations of the Sedin line.

Another concern would be ice-time. The Sedins are playing upwards of 20 minutes/night, and I'm sure AV wouldn't want a rookie like Hodgson playing that much. Although I can imagine him not getting special teams time, keeping Hodgson in the 12-14 minutes a game is probably where he should start. To me, that would put him in 3rd line territory, moving up to the second if needed.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I don't think the idea is a terrible one Farhan, certainly one of your better thoughts lately! :thumbs:
LOL. Thanks man - I'll take the compliment, even if it's a back-handed one. :P
I think the Sedins are the kind of players that don't really need a guy like Burrows driving the net. They worked well feeding Samuelsson in the high slot for rips, they worked well with Tambellini zipping around the ice. I think Hodgson would do fine with them because they can play the game in so many ways (deep in the corners, behind the net, on the half boards etc). Their play has developed so much in recent years that I don't believe they need that net presence 100% of the time.
Agree.
I do think he would be a better fit with Kesler and Raymond, if only because I think Burrows is more effective with the Sedins. However, given AV's constant line-juggling, I could see him create several variations of the Sedin line.
Yeah, that seems to be the general consensus in this thread. I'm just not so sure though. Kesler and Raymond are very fast skaters while Hodgson's is on the other end of the spectrum. Hodgson's skating still needs a fair amount of work from what I understand.
Another concern would be ice-time. The Sedins are playing upwards of 20 minutes/night, and I'm sure AV wouldn't want a rookie like Hodgson playing that much. Although I can imagine him not getting special teams time, keeping Hodgson in the 12-14 minutes a game is probably where he should start. To me, that would put him in 3rd line territory, moving up to the second if needed.
Good point. At the same time though, it gives Hodgson some experience as to what it would be like to HAVE that kind of ice-time at the NHL Level. But again – maybe they could have Hodgson play a few shifts with the twins (like a period), and then relegate him to a 3rd line role after that.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Farhan Lalji wrote: Of course the twins line is fine, but are you saying that we shouldn't attempt to improve/tweak/experiment because of that? With that mindset, Burrows would have never been given the chance to play with the twins in the first place. Also - the twins can play with almost anyone with decent hockey sense/talent/willingness to drive the net. If a guy like Hodgson can do that, then our other lines would get 'depth by default' (i.e. Burrows playing with Torres and Malhottra to form a super checking line that can also score).
I would say "If HODGSON comes up" rather than "When". At this point he has to prove it, and there is nothing wrong with making him prove it over 3-4 months. More ice time will be good for him.

I also realize that Hansen hasn't had a ton of points, but he has been dynamite (good dynamite) on that third line. The third line again showed it is carrying the team, and don't forget that Hansen is a big part of that line. If you watch box scores Hansen hasn't done anything. If you watch games he has been impressive. No finish on the chances he is getting but that will come (plus he never hurts the teams chance to win).

I am guessing that if Hodgson comes up earlier, it will be because of injury. Where he fits in depends on who is injured. I could see him possibly playing on any of the top 3 lines. Maybe even the 4th in spot duty.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

No. Actually, I think the ultimate winger for the Sedins would be Buffy. It's so messed up, Atlanta has one of the best power fowards in the game (when he feels like it) and they put him on defence. I'd be willing to give up an arm and a leg to get him. I'd offer Bieksa and Burrows for him (throw in Schroeder if need be).
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

No. Actually, I think the ultimate winger for the Sedins would be Buffy.
Hornqvist in Nashville or Nathan Horton have always stood out to me a bit as good dream candidates.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

No one is needed to skate on any of the top 3 lines. When you are on a six game winning streak why change anything. I love our third line as it is and no I don't think a change would improve it. If any changes were required it would be for Sammy to pick it up a notch and I'm sure he will soon.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Bit of a side comment nice to see Hodgson's game is starting to come around. Top points with the Moose and his +/- is now a respectable even. Funny or maybe strange his salary may work against him at $1.7 and the Canucks still $1.8 over the cap when Salo gets back it's going to be tough to get him into the line up. Most important I have not heard any medical problems coming up
cheers
Cannie
CC Veteran

Post by Cannie »

First of all, its so nice to be having a discussion like this, with all three lines humming along and talent like Hodgson, Schroeder, and Shirokov chomping at the bit in Manitoba.

Island Nucklehead, you bring up some salient points here. The Sedins are no longer just about cycling the puck and looking for a seam. They use their puck possession skills by also looking for the stretch pass or feeding a defenseman trailing on the play. However, as you say later on in your post, Burrows is the best fit right now. With two linemates so skilled, it is wise to have the third man drive to the net as one of the opposing defensemen must subsequently follow, thus opening up the perimeter. It works in Detroit, with Holmstrom creating space for Datsyuk and Zetterberg, it works in Tampa Bay, with Downie creating space for Stamkos and St. Louis, and even turning back the clock 30 years, John Tonelli allowed Trottier and Bossy to work their magic.

Hodgson would be much more effective as a winger on the second line, replacing Samuelsson. He works well in open ice and has a cannon of a shot when given time to shoot. He is MUCH faster than you think, Farhan. Go to Youtube and admire his acceleration and top-end speed (at least in comparison to his OHL peers). He's no Mason Raymond, but I'd take a healthy Hodgson in a lap around the rink against either of the Sedins.

I'm guessing it will take an injury to force Gillis' hand and bring up Hodgson, so I'm hoping Cody gets 60 AHL games under his belt this season and comes up in the Spring to bolster our Stanley Cup run.

Cannie
:towel: :towel: :towel: GO CANUCKS GO!!! :towel: :towel: :towel:
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Hey Cannie,

Great post! To be honest, I haven't seen Hodgson play all that much and was just going off some of the comments that I'd heard about him (i.e. slow skating). That's awesome that his skating is better than I thought. If that's the case, then yeah - play him with Kesler and Raymond when he's ready!