Who looks better now?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Who looks better now?

Post by ClamRussel »

Brendan Morrison 9gp 3-6-9 (still the 3rd period to go)
Peter Schaefer 8gp 0-0-0

I know ice time & linemates are factors....but still,
Morrison can kill penalties as well....maybe not as well as Schaefer but he brings other attributes like faceoffs and better offensive instincts. A point a game.

just sayin'
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: Who looks better now?

Post by Arachnid »

ClamRussel wrote:Brendan Morrison 9gp 3-6-9 (still the 3rd period to go)
Peter Schaefer 8gp 0-0-0

Morrison can kill penalties as well....maybe not as well as Schaefer but he brings other attributes like faceoffs and better offensive instincts. A point a game.

just sayin'
Oh Fack Off :drink:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Are we really going to do this all season? Really? Some folks have to get over it.

The situations aren't comparable. Given his ice-time... you could compare him to Malhotra at even strength, Henrik Sedin on the PP (equal at 3:11/game) and Mayson Raymond (BMO 51 sec vs 44 Mason) shorthanded. Realistically, if you took away Kesler's PK time him and Morrison are pretty darn close in total icetime.

Different players in different roles. That's it.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

18!

Peter looked pretty damn good on that shift, I'm not Schaefer's biggest fan but Mo had bad MoJo written all over him, just don't want him a part of the new glory, he had his chance, wish him well, lock this thread! :P
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Are we really going to do this all season? Really? Some folks have to get over it.
Spare me Island, just noticed B-Mo is off to a pretty damn fine start is all. I acknowledged the icetime/linemate factor so you could have saved your breath. Comparing to Malhotra is off the mark, I only compared Schaefer because it was obvious only one of them was possibly going to make the team. The question was who would be more beneficial so ya its very relevant.

Nice shot by Schaefer tonight! Good to see him make a contribution to the scoreboard.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Oh my god do they stink tonight. Besucka is brutal as is Alberts of old, even the Sedins cannot clear it from our end.

I stayed up for this? I gotta an exam tomorrow! :evil:

*Edit* Lucky bastards! 8-) Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Arachnid wrote:Oh my god do they stink tonight.

Toronto has infected your brain.

Morrison not making the team was a head scratcher for me too. Oh well, gotta give Peter credit for that shot it was a beauty. In fact most of the lessor lights played real well tonight.. and oh, I'm one of the few that give credit to the opposition.. plucky team them bare foots.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Let's not forget the Wellwood factor. Soft, undersized, skill guy with the potential to move up the lineup... That had to weigh huge in Gillis' mind.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

ClamRussel wrote:Brendan Morrison 9gp 3-6-9 (still the 3rd period to go)
Peter Schaefer 8gp 0-0-0

just sayin'

You know what they say the truth hurts the most :D In Scheafer defense he's being forced to play centre, lost most of his draws and was sat close to the end of the game. But when Rypien return and Burrows I expect Scheafer to play in Winnipeg. Hodgson 6GP, 1 goal 0 assists and a minus -3
cheers
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Has Rypien ever won a face off in his life? I think not.. when does Bolduc come back?
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Robert wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Oh my god do they stink tonight.

Toronto has infected your brain.
No, no, just my soul, brain is quite good actually! :)
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Morrison did this last year and had a shitty year, so I'm not sold. If we wanted a 45 point top six player, I guess he would have been the one for us to go with... but not as a fourth liner, he'd be about where Schaefer is in that role. Frankly, no one ever advocated going with Schaefer.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

the toucan kid wrote:Morrison did this last year and had a shitty year, so I'm not sold. If we wanted a 45 point top six player, I guess he would have been the one for us to go with... but not as a fourth liner, he'd be about where Schaefer is in that role. Frankly, no one ever advocated going with Schaefer.
It must be nearing Halloween, because I am agreeing with you.

At least you give a real opinion about not having him in Vancouver. Some people bring in jibberish about having some sort of mojo... :roll:

Letting go of Morrison is more to do with doing the guy a favour to get more ice time elsewhere. I watched the game with a bunch of fans last night that wanted Morrison and were making a case for the guy, but he would have been getting Des Biens minutes and there was no way he was putting up those #'s here like he is in Calgary.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

LotusBlossom wrote: Letting go of Morrison is more to do with doing the guy a favour to get more ice time elsewhere. I watched the game with a bunch of fans last night that wanted Morrison and were making a case for the guy, but he would have been getting Des Biens minutes and there was no way he was putting up those #'s here like he is in Calgary.
I agree with Clam that Morrison is looking better and I think he was the better choice IGNORING the cap. Cap meaning salary cap and not the Prattian all caps post or Washington caps (with whom Morrison played last year). Yes, some people glorify past play but some people can't get it through their cranium that Morrison is a good value at the price Calgary is paying. (And he didn't have that bad of a year last year).

Having said all that we can't ignore the cap unfortunately. Morrison was (and is) more of a cap casualty than anything else. I don't think we can really criticize Gillis on the Morrison issue unless we go through all the complex cap calculations including the issues relating to Salo's and Burrow's injuries and what sort of offers he received for Bieksa. Schaefer is on a two way, Morrison wouldn't have been, and so Schaefer gave the team a little more cap flexibility.

With Morrison he would have ultimately been waived on Burrows return or if Hodgson is eventually called up. Like LB said it is a favour to Morrison to get him ice time (probably for the whole year) in Calgary. Even though I was an advocate of Morrison in Vancouver the reality is that he may very well have been waived due to cap issues. He is a center and he isn't going to displace any of Hank (!), Kesler or Malhotra.

Morrison has started out well. Who knows whether it will last but it is certainly going to be something I will follow all year (but it doesn't make a lot of sense to be comparing him to Schaefer).
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Morrison though playing wing at the moment is not a winger. He wouldn't be putting up those points here playing on the 4th line which is where he'd be. No thanks to Morrison. This team needs more sandpaper and Morrison is about a 400 grit. Let us know how he's doing in February.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”