Ballard Out With Concussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Ballard Out With Concussion

Post by woodhog »

Looks like Keith Ballard is out with a "slight concussion" according to Jason Botchford on Twitter.

http://twitter.com/BotchonCanucks

Apparently, taking his place will be Aaron Rome. Why wouldn't AV give Ryan Parent a chance to show his stuff?
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Ballard Out With Concussion

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Why wouldn't AV give Ryan Parent a chance to show his stuff?
Because the team needs a win in the worst way, and playing a young kid who is on his third team in two years probably isn't going to get you there. Word on the street is Parent has had plenty of chances to stick but never could (Philly, Nasville - and Nashville is well-known for recognizing and grooming blue line talent.)
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Also because management likes Aaron Rome.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

If they have no intention of putting him in the lineup, then what's the point of sitting him in the pressbox every game?
If he's not good enough or ready enough to play here, then send him to the minors and let him play and develop there.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Rome has a two year deal, right? That tells you what they think about him. Maybe MG considers him his own find and has a soft spot for him. Whether he's better than Parent is tough to say.

I don't think we're anywhere near panic or anything, I don't think you can reasonably get there until about game 20.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

woodhog wrote:If they have no intention of putting him in the lineup, then what's the point of sitting him in the pressbox every game?
If he's not good enough or ready enough to play here, then send him to the minors and let him play and develop there.
I believe Parent has to clear waivers. With the Canucks' affinity for collecting defenseman I think he'll stick around until Christmas at least.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

A player who hasn't missed a game in 3 seasons gets a concussion 4 games into his career with us and Dan Hamhuis who's missed 7 over the last 5 has already missed a practice to nurse an injury. We really are cursed.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

jchockey wrote:
woodhog wrote:If they have no intention of putting him in the lineup, then what's the point of sitting him in the pressbox every game?
I believe Parent has to clear waivers. With the Canucks' affinity for collecting defenseman I think he'll stick around until Christmas at least.
I thought Parent had already cleared waivers before he was acquired; he might be the designated #8 d-man.