THE TORONTO MAPLE leaves

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

jchockey
MVP
MVP

Re: THE TORONTO MAPLE leaves

Post by jchockey »

Other than chemistry I think it's that Burke has just collected a group of COMPETITORS. No Rickard Wallins, no Alexei Ponikarovskys.Tough as nails Phaneufs, Komisareks, Browns, Orrs. Players who play like their spots weren't handed to them like Bozak. What a great find he is. And how about that Kessel? Finally healthy and he's showing off the speed and hands that made him into a top pick. As much maligned as that trade was I've said this before and I say this again - if Kessel hits 50 goals (and he will, maybe not this season but at least once in his career), it certainly evens out the trade.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Other than chemistry I think it's that Burke has just collected a group of COMPETITORS. No Rickard Wallins, no Alexei Ponikarovskys.Tough as nails Phaneufs, Komisareks, Browns, Orrs. Players who play like their spots weren't handed to them like Bozak. What a great find he is. And how about that Kessel? Finally healthy and he's showing off the speed and hands that made him into a top pick. As much maligned as that trade was I've said this before and I say this again - if Kessel hits 50 goals (and he will, maybe not this season but at least once in his career), it certainly evens out the trade.
Wow rose coloured glasses. Those tough as nails guys still golden if the team misses the playoffs, which is still the likely outcome of the season.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

the toucan kid wrote:
Wow rose coloured glasses. Those tough as nails guys still golden if the team misses the playoffs, which is still the likely outcome of the season.
That about sums it up. It's easy to play hard as nails when it's 4 games into the season. Let's see that drive and determination in January... that's when talent takes over effort.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

the toucan kid wrote: Wow rose coloured glasses. Those tough as nails guys still golden if the team misses the playoffs, which is still the likely outcome of the season.
I think they could squeak in. If the leaves continue to play like this and still miss the playoffs it's not a lack of effort but lack of top end skill. As good as Bozak and Grabovski have been they're still lacking a true number one pivot.
Island wrote:That about sums it up. It's easy to play hard as nails when it's 4 games into the season. Let's see that drive and determination in January... that's when talent takes over effort.
Again, not their fault if it's a lack of talent that's the problem.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I think they could squeak in. If the leaves continue to play like this and still miss the playoffs it's not a lack of effort but lack of top end skill. As good as Bozak and Grabovski have been they're still lacking a true number one pivot.
It could be argued they don't have an NHL level center on the roster at the moment. Although Bozak seems about primed to prove he's got the goods to be a good SECOND line center, they're really hurting up the middle, and you can't win that way. Kaberle has to net them a good centerman for them to get in, and I don't know if there's a move to be made there.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

am I the only guy who thinks Kaberle is overpaid for what he delivers? (almost overrated??)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

Madcombinepilot wrote:am I the only guy who thinks Kaberle is overpaid for what he delivers? (almost overrated??)

one of the most overpaid, overrated players in the league.
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Perhaps, but what he delivers he delivers well. As a pure PP QB there are few better than him in the league. Its the other dimensions to actually being an effective DEFENCEman that leave alot to be desired.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I'm with Clam, he's a true blue (eh...) powerplay quarterback. There aren't many, warts aside, that makes him an asset.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Madcombinepilot wrote:am I the only guy who thinks Kaberle is overpaid for what he delivers? (almost overrated??)
I don't think so. He's an excellent puck mover and shooter who can pot 50 points over 82 games easily who comes about $3 million cheaper than Brian Campbell. He's not great defensively but certainly one of the best PP QB's in the league at that price. The leaves are crazy trying to trade him. He's by far their most effective defenseman when it comes to the breakout.