Starting lineup (?)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Starting lineup (?)

Post by Cornuck »

While Gillis and Gilman play their chess games, it seems like this should be our roster:

Forwards
Daniel Sedin – Henrik Sedin – Mikael Samuelsson
Mason Raymond – Ryan Kesler – Raffi Torres
Jannik Hansen – Manny Malhotra – Peter Schaefer
Jeff Tambellini – Alex Bolduc – Guillaime Desbiens

Defence
Alex Edler – Christian Ehrhoff
Dan Hamhuis – Kevin Bieksa
Andrew Alberts – Keith Ballard
Aaron Rome

Goalies
Roberto Luongo – Cory Schneider

Injured:
Sami Salo (LTIR), Alex Burrows (LTIR), Rick Rypien (ribs), Tanner Glass (throat).

Now that I see it, I think we can ice an acceptable lineup even with 4 regulars out. Once everyone but Sami get back, we'll have a good looking team.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Re: Starting lineup (?)

Post by Grizzly »

Not sure I like Alberts ... tough but slow - lateral mobility poor - dumb penalties ... nice when salo gets back.

Pardon my ignorance as I have been a bit behind on the training camp ... is Hodgson still around or is down to the minors ?

Grizz

Been a while Cornuck ... how's things ?
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Grizz, should see some videos on preseason, AA has been training all summer, heck, I would rank him above SOB in terms of foot speed simply because he tries harder.

Hodgson is currently ON the roster, but I'm sure he will be sent down on Friday night/Saturday morning.

Canucks are playing with the cap right now, using players that have bonuses to increase their potential cap space, I think I know what their doing, but I'm not sure how I would explain it. But I wouldn't be surprised if NHL makes a new rule next year that a player cannot be sent up and down more then once a week.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Cornuck, I think you've pretty well got it right. Glass will replace Tambi if he's good to go by Saturday.
I don't know if Tambi is right for the 4th line. Not much grit there.

Agree with Jelly that AA has looked much better than last season. I still think that I would take SOB over AA if they had the same cap hit. SOB showed a lot in the playoffs last year and that has to count for something.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Hey Grizz - good to see you here!

You haven't missed much so far. 4 days of camp and a few games to weed out the Moose fodder. Hodgson hasn't earned his spot yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him up in a month or so. I think he just needs more conditioning at game speed to make up for his back issues.

There's been so much movement this week, it's not even worth noting. But I trust in GMMG and can't doubt what he's doing.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

woodhog wrote:Cornuck, I think you've pretty well got it right. Glass will replace Tambi if he's good to go by Saturday.
I don't know if Tambi is right for the 4th line. Not much grit there.

Agree with Jelly that AA has looked much better than last season. I still think that I would take SOB over AA if they had the same cap hit. SOB showed a lot in the playoffs last year and that has to count for something.
The things that came out, plus the things that didn't come out, about SOB, is what ultimately drove him out of town.

Had SOB came in camp in shape, played with his heart on his sleeve, didn't whine about crap, I'm sure it would have been a harder decision for the management.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Shame Hodgson won't work with the Cup, because I don't really see Torres as a good option on the second line, while it weakens the third. He's perfect as a third liner. The fourth line is a little sketchy too.

Oh well, it will evolve based on play. It is a good lineup.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

the toucan kid wrote:Shame Hodgson won't work with the Cup, because I don't really see Torres as a good option on the second line, while it weakens the third. He's perfect as a third liner. The fourth line is a little sketchy too.

Oh well, it will evolve based on play. It is a good lineup.
Torres is definately best on the 3rd line but I think he'll be alright on the 2nd in a pinch.
I think the 4th line will be alright ... especially once Rypien and Glass are healthy.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Why isn't Peters on that opening roster?

Wow that was hard to type without laughing.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Hodgson and Sweatt are on their way to Winnipeg as of tomorrow. The whole point of all the juggling, besides becoming cap compliant, is to come as close top the league upper limit (cap) as possible and then on opening day file an LTI exception for players who have long term injuries. To exercise the LTI exception prior to the season starting in order to become cap compliant may ultimately limit the amount available under the LTI exception due to the deeming provisions in Article 50.10.

The short explanation is assuming the Canucks file an LTI exception for a player who earns $2.0 mil prior to opening day. On opening day they start $1.5 mil over the cap. Because of the LTI exception, they are deemed to have already replaced the player with the $1.5 mil. Had they started the season at the League Upper Limit and then filed the LTI exception they can make use of the full $2.0 mil for replacement players.

The bonuses are a bit of a red herring since the bonus cushion applies only to bonuses and nothing else, and in fact are specifically excluded from the calculation of the LTI exception, but do allow the Canucks to come as close or equal to the cap as possible, since bonuses are included as part of the player's average salary and go into the calculation of the averaged club salary and allow leeway because of the bonus cushion. It makes it easier to hit the league upper limit in order to maximize the LTI exception. (Of course I could be completely wrong...)
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Laurence Gilman is that you?
;)

Impressive Mr. Arbour.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

It looks like KB will get a chance on the top defensive pairing to start the season.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hock ... story.html

If he can stick there, it will give us a lot better options for the other pairings.

According to the Province, Ryan Parent is still with the Canucks for the time being. Don't know if they're still in the midst of the cap juggling act or if he's going to be on the roster opening night?
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

No, it seems he'll be there opening night, he'll get a look for nine or ten games. It sounded as if there was some kind of ten game cut off in his circumstance. That seems to be an odd or surprising addition.

I'm also surprised at Peter making the team (from the outset, thought he'd be fodder) but good for him, he obviously kept himself in shape.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Robert wrote:No, it seems he'll be there opening night, he'll get a look for nine or ten games. It sounded as if there was some kind of ten game cut off in his circumstance. That seems to be an odd or surprising addition.

I'm also surprised at Peter making the team (from the outset, thought he'd be fodder) but good for him, he obviously kept himself in shape.

I guess they're giving Parent a chance to outplay Rome and Alberts and step into SOB's old spot (insert Roxy jokes here).
A little surprising, but why not give him an opportunity?

As for Schaefer, once Mo was released I thought he'd probably make it. At the start of camp though, I wondered why he even got a tryout. He earned his job under next to impossible circumstances. Kudos to him.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

As for Schaefer, once Mo was released I thought he'd probably make it. At the start of camp though, I wondered why he even got a tryout. He earned his job under next to impossible circumstances. Kudos to him.
He'll be on waivers in two weeks. We should have a pool.

I kind of think Parent might just outplay both Alberts and Rome, and I do see him as our 7th D man.