Lee Sweatt Recalled

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Lee Sweatt Recalled

Post by Arbour »

Obviously cap maneuvering: Lee Sweatt To Rejoin Canucks. However Canucks aren't even close to the league upper limit, and the way the rules for LTI exceptions are applied it is better to comply with the cap with injured players on the roster and then file the exception on opening day.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: Lee Sweatt Recalled

Post by the toucan kid »

Fair enough. Maneuver away MG.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

the toucan kid wrote:Fair enough. Maneuver away MG.
And here it is, Bolduc and Schneider to the Moose for now, with Hodgson and Lack apparently to follow: Canucks announce roster moves.... Beats me how reporters figure the bonus provisions are going to factor into this since the only two players eligible for bonuses are apparently going to be sent down, and as the bonus cushion suggests it is limited to bonuses that cause the average club salary to exceed the cap limit. Maybe I should be thinking subtraction rather than addition...
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

All these "recall/demotion games" make the league look like a joke imo. Surely there's a simpler way to have a salary cap w/o loopholes and all this crap. Same goes w/ New Jersey Lou's move of putting Salvador on the LTIR to hide his $2+ salary so they don't have to trade a player. Is he really hurt? Is Salo for that matter?!? Who knows. Keeping guys here who didn't make the team then sending them down the next day is smart on the part of the Canucks...but completely unnecessary & unprofessional as far as the NHL goes.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

ugh this is getting annoying
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Clam, it's within the rules.

There's no rules against these type of roster moves, and if the Canucks keep doing it (like, 4 off days? bring up some contracts with bonuses and send some down)

At the end of the year, these bonus 'bonus' cushion could mean that we can land a vet with a small contract at deadline. Sure, it's shady, but it's not against the rules.

But if the Canucks abuse this, watch for the league to make rules adjustments at end of the year.

It's smart cap management.

*watches NJ signs some 40 year old AHL journeymen to a contract with huge bonuses just to abuse it*
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Jelly wrote:Clam, it's within the rules.

There's no rules against these type of roster moves, and if the Canucks keep doing it (like, 4 off days? bring up some contracts with bonuses and send some down)

At the end of the year, these bonus 'bonus' cushion could mean that we can land a vet with a small contract at deadline. Sure, it's shady, but it's not against the rules.

But if the Canucks abuse this, watch for the league to make rules adjustments at end of the year.

It's smart cap management.

*watches NJ signs some 40 year old AHL journeymen to a contract with huge bonuses just to abuse it*
Oh I know its within the rules, doesn't change the fact that we shouldn't have an unnecessarily complicated salary cap that forces teams to do these kinds of shell games. Its the structure of the CBA that drives me nuts....what else do we expect when lawyers have overrun the league.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I only argue with Clam in that he says that it makes the league look ridiculous... anyone who remotely gives a shit about this news is entirely in the league's pocket anyway. Like us.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

True actually and the NHL has proven they could care less about the fans they already have, esp the Cdn ones.
Its all about the untapped fans for Gary.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

For some teams it really doesn't make much difference. The Eastern teams have their farm teams often right next door TO and Philly for instance. Most are close by in and around NY State
cheers
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

You would have to think with all these teams manoeuvring all these players back and forth can be considered circumventing the cap. I'm not an expert on the CBA, so I'm not sure if there's anything written about this or not.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

I'd say the Devils trading Vladamir Malakhov's HUGE contract to the Sharks (where he didn't play, they just ate it) for a draft pick to be circumventing the CBA. These kinds of maneuvers have been going on for ages.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

ClamRussel wrote:I'd say the Devils trading Vladamir Malakhov's HUGE contract to the Sharks (where he didn't play, they just ate it) for a draft pick to be circumventing the CBA. These kinds of maneuvers have been going on for ages.
I agree, there's been many instances like that, but I find it odd that the NHL made a huge deal about the Kovalchuk deal circumventing the cap, yet they let little moves like these go through. Gotta love the NHL and it's consistent ways.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel: