BMO Redux

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

BMO Redux

Post by Arachnid »

The West part of the Wet Coast Express has a shot at coming back to the Canucks as a tryout at camp. Not sure if I like this or not. I know he has the experience and there is a D in Brendan but is he cursed? Do we not want to move forward? Should we not let one of the young'ns have that spot?

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hock ... story.html
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: BMO Redux

Post by Broda »

I see you beat me to it by a sixty second margin...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=333999

I gotta think he will more likely be a body one night for the young guys to play with in preseason. I have a hard time seeing him sticking around. Maybe fourth line for depth and experience... is he willing to play most of the year on the moose? Not saying he isn't competent but just as arachnid said. Isn't this a story better left in the past?
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I'm a fan of this as long as he's put into a bottom 6 role. He's decent on faceoffs, can play a 2nd PP wave too if needed. I get the point about letting the young guys play, but I'm of the philosophy of that if a young guy is made for a certain role (say offensive player for arguments sake) they should be cast in that role and not be stuck on bottom 6 duty until they mature. If they can't cut it in the show, let them go play top 6 (or whatever type of player they are) with the Moose and blossom there. Hank, Kes, Manny and BMo at centre is solid.

Peter Schaeffer is going to camp on a tryout as well. That one, I'm not a fan of.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

I wish the best for Brendan and hope he plays in the NHL just not with the Canucks. With the number of forwards Gills now has competing for a spot in the lineup, a soft 35 yr old center on the fourth line (1 to 3 already decided) would be a sad comment on the Canuck depth. Kudus to Gillis for giving Morrison a chance and I hope it leads to employment elsewhere.
Calgary_Canuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Calgary_Canuck »

Brendan is a great guy and all, but we don't need him. This Canuck team is the new Canucks....Brendan is part of the old one. Energy is a big thing and we don't need the old energy.
West Coast Jets Fan
CC Veteran

Post by West Coast Jets Fan »

35?

Apparently he is a spry and nimble 25 years old according to the crackerjack reporting at TSN
1972-1996

3 Avco Cups
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I think Gillis is just letting his guys know how players are out there and hungry for NHL employment.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

where the hell is farhan?!?!? how come he hasn't commented on this yet??

This is 1/3 of his wet dream coming true!!!

:lol:
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

I am completely in favour of this.

This is a tryout for jesus sakes. If the younguns can't out hustle and outmuscle a 35 year old BMo then BMo gets their money and they end up in the Moose. There is no downside here. If BMo happens to beat out somebody else for a 3rd or 4th line role then great. Of course if it is really close you go with the youngun, but if it isn't you go with your best lineup. I think this is all about continued accountability and making sure nobody thinks they have a position waiting for them.

BMo probably won't make it, but if he beats out everyone else then what is the problem ? It isn't a cap issue.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

David Pratt has reported that Morrison is 'again a Canuck' lol

Apparently a tryout makes him a Canuck again :lol: :lol: :lol:
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Dr Dork said..
I am completely in favour of this.

This is a tryout for jesus sakes. If the younguns can't out hustle and outmuscle a 35 year old BMo then BMo gets their money and they end up in the Moose. There is no downside here. If BMo happens to beat out somebody else for a 3rd or 4th line role then great. Of course if it is really close you go with the youngun, but if it isn't you go with your best lineup. I think this is all about continued accountability and making sure nobody thinks they have a position waiting for them.

BMo probably won't make it, but if he beats out everyone else then what is the problem ? It isn't a cap issue.
Agree except.. he is just liable to make it .. Got the talent.. good faceoff man..good defensively and offensively, can play PP or PK.. He was the glue that held the WCE together.. neither Bert or Naslund were defensively responsible.. BMo was.
Going to be interesting with both Bmo and Schaeffer competing for spots.. keep the young ones on their toes..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

interesting......why is he comming to a full teams camp? i would love it if he played with Torres and Malholtra though....excellent 3rd line
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

nucklehead_88 wrote:interesting......why is he comming to a full teams camp?
Nobody wants him. The cap and earlier free agency is killing the older players (and Mo isn't even that old).

His options are limited. It is the KHL/europe, the 'nucks or retirement. My guess is that if he doesn't stick with the 'nucks he retires. He has kids in school and if anyone hasn't noticed school has already started. I doubt he drags them to Russia although he could go on his own I suppose.

He didn't play that badly for Washington, and my guess is that he would take league minimum to play in Vancouver. Yeah he is soft and small but so what ? Put him on a line with Malhotra and Torres or with Rypien and Glass. He can play on the 1st or 2nd line if we get in some serious injury trouble. Mo is a pretty good insurance policy, and if the kids pan out at some point waive him. There is no risk with this one cap-wise. Unless you are a bean counter worried about the Aquilini's profits you shouldn't care.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

I like the added competitiveness this brings although all things being equal the tie has to go to the young guys. So beyond Malholtra & Torres on the 3rd line and lets say Rypien on the 4th there is quite the battle brewing for the remaining 3-5 spots on the full roster.

Oreskovich
Hordichuk
Hodgson
Shroeder
Glass
Schaefer
Morrison
Hansen
Rypien

Somethings gotta give....but Burrows' injury buys someone a little time.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

LotusBlossom wrote:David Pratt has reported that Morrison is 'again a Canuck' lol

Apparently a tryout makes him a Canuck again :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think you will find that he reported MORRISON IS AGAIN A CANUCK