BMO Redux

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Re: BMO Redux

Post by levelheaded »

I think Mo's done enough to play his way onto the roster, and as others have pointed out with Hodgson not being ready for the NHL we'll be screwed if one of our top 3 centres goes down and Morrison isn't signed. The thought of Rypien being thrust into a checking role makes me shudder.

Morrison's defensive game is incredibly overrated, he looked good defensively when compared to his linemates on the WCE, but Semin would compared to those guys. He's still got wheels which is what impressed me the most, and considering we're a fast, puck moving team that's nothing but a good thing. It'd also be nice to have someone that could step into a scoring role should another member of our top six go down, seeing as there's not much that could be considered a legitimate scoring threat among our bottom line players and prospects quite yet.

Plus B-Mo is likely to clock in for under 600k, so that'd be a big cap saving compared to Hodgson and Schroeder who count at 900k each this year with the potential to hurt us quite a bit more next year with their bonuses (Chicago lost nearly $4M in cap space as a result of them, although it's not like any of our players on entry level deals are going to rip it up like Kane and Toews did).
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

I really don't think Morrison has played his way onto the team. Maybe others have played their way off of it and my gut instinct tells me to look to the future and not the past. He has baggage in Van. I don't like baggage. Bad karma. Go with the future and that is Cody Hodgson. He has not played himself off the team. That's good karma. Give him 10 games. I don't think Morrison will sign anywhere else. He'll be available after 10 games still (Darcy Tucker just retired because he couldn't land a job either)
Come'n MG, don't listen to the fartz on here, go long! Go forward!!!! 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

You have to look at the big picture here when it comes to handling guys like Morrison or Hodgson.
That's exactly right Clam, and that's why there's no point in putting Morrison on this team.
I think Mo's done enough to play his way onto the roster, and as others have pointed out with Hodgson not being ready for the NHL we'll be screwed if one of our top 3 centres goes down and Morrison isn't signed. The thought of Rypien being thrust into a checking role makes me shudder.
We're not any less screwed with Morrison. Frankly, there's a tonne of guys out there who could be had mid-season who could be as good as him. Honestly, unless BMO will take a two-way deal and wait in Manitoba for a spot. I say cut him.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Perfect pointed this out in another thread. BMO has been realeased from his tryout contract.

http://communities.canada.com/theprovin ... nucks.aspx

It looks like Hodgson or Bolduc will start the season as the fourth line center with Vancouver. I'm not sure it's the best choice for the franchise, but then again we don't really know what BMO wanted for a 1 year deal. Something tells me he'll sign elsewhere (Calgary) and it could be for more than the league minimum.

According to Capgeek, without O'Brien, Hordichuck or Hodgson (21 man roster) including Salo and Burrows we're still 773K over the cap. I'm not sure how that works come opening night. I'm wondering if Salo and Burrows have to be on the game sheet for game one, or if we can place them on LTIR prior to game one. If that's not the case, and we have to roll with a 21 man roster(only 19 dressing), some more moves have to be done...
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Let's just hope Henrik doesn't get injured, there's no one left to fill his role. Certainly not Hodgson any way
cheers
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Fred wrote:Let's just hope Henrik doesn't get injured, there's no one left to fill his role. Certainly not Hodgson any way
Well I really don't think Morrison could fill those shoes anyways. Like Luongo, if Hank goes down we're probably in a world of hurt...
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Well I really don't think Morrison could fill those shoes anyways. Like Luongo, if Hank goes down we're probably in a world of hurt...
I didn't watch all the preseason games (and I missed the Edmonton debacle) but from what I saw of Schneider I think he might be able to hold the fort short term if Luongo is injured (knock on wood). Henrik is a different story...

Nobody has said much about Schneider but that is probably a good thing. He has looked good in preseasons past as well, but this year he seems to be stopping a lot of shots based purely on good positioning.

BMO is gone. Oh well. It sounds like there was interest elsewhere and so perhaps he wanted to much. So now we get Schaefer.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Let's just hope Henrik doesn't get injured, there's no one left to fill his role. Certainly not Hodgson any way
And you accuse me of cheap arguments. Har Har.

Seriously, Morrison is no insurance for any of our centers getting hurt because he can't do any of their jobs. He can't be the point getter, he can't be the speed/grit guy, he certainly ain't the checker. He's just an over the hill, nondescript guy.

I would rather throw Hodgson in the top six for a reasonable injury period than Mo that's for sure.
Nobody has said much about Schneider but that is probably a good thing. He has looked good in preseasons past as well, but this year he seems to be stopping a lot of shots based purely on good positioning.
Other than some earlier pablum on here after one game about Schneider having to watch out for, I kid you not, Lack... yeah there hasn't been much said. He's a potential big asset for this club. And further proof that fans shouldn't be allowed to watch pre-season for their own sake...

Schaefer... not quite sure I get that one.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

dr.dork wrote:
I didn't watch all the preseason games (and I missed the Edmonton debacle) but from what I saw of Schneider I think he might be able to hold the fort short term if Luongo is injured (knock on wood). Henrik is a different story...

From what I saw and read, the big knock on Schneider has been his consistency. And that's not just this pre-season. He'll play fantastic at times, but totally stink it up (and cost the team games) on others. Not saying Luongo didn't try his best to pull this stunt last season at times, but it's entirely debatable on who's the best player on the Canucks (Hank or Lou), having to give Schneider the ball for more than two or three games in a row could pose a serious problem for Vancouver.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

From what I saw and read, the big knock on Schneider has been his consistency. And that's not just this pre-season. He'll play fantastic at times, but totally stink it up (and cost the team games) on others. Not saying Luongo didn't try his best to pull this stunt last season at times, but it's entirely debatable on who's the best player on the Canucks (Hank or Lou), having to give Schneider the ball for more than two or three games in a row could pose a serious problem for Vancouver.
Not really, losing two or three games is no big deal. This is a team when healthy will be more than able to make 'em up should it come to that (hell the teams the last few years have been more than able). It's not SO tough to get into the playoffs in a good seat, everyone gets a few rough patches a year.

But, take the two best players on the team out of any lineup and you have problems, so it's really not worth stating that we're in trouble without Hank and Lou.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

I really liked the idea of having BMo on this team as I think he's still got wheels, and brings allot of intangibles. That said it would be a bit odd bringing back a guy who was such a major piece of the team and asking him to play 4th line/press box min just in case we need him. He's a great guy in the locker room, but do you really want another voice of leadership coming from your 4th liners?

Sad to see him go in a sense, but not too upset about it. As mentioned, he's sort of in no-mans-land on our roster. He'll do better on another team as I'm sure he'll be picked up at some point. Dude had about a half-point-per-game last year, a team like Calgary could really use that right now from a C-man. How strange would it be to see BMo and Iginla lining up on a first line to start the season? With Jokinen, Stajan and Langkow all out fro the flames it's not that far fetched. Kinda makes me nauseous to be honest.

Ahh well, good luck Mo! I bet Schafer makes the team now, had a great game friday, and did you see the guys eye in the post-game interview?? Ugly. Impressive that he's played so well through such a nasty injury, 40 stitches!! In his face!! I think he'll fit well on the 4th line, has speed and hands but knows he's a checker nowadays... probably more willing to sit in the pressbox for stretches at a time then BMo was, as Brendan had said he didn't want to do that. On the cheap, why not. Since we've released BMo and put Hordi/SOB on waivers yet no word on Schafer, makes me think he's earned himself a spot.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

And you accuse me of cheap arguments. Har Har. ( hah hah)

Seriously, Morrison is no insurance for any of our centers getting hurt because he can't do any of their jobs. He can't be the point getter, he can't be the speed/grit guy, he certainly ain't the checker. He's just an over the hill, nondescript guy.

I would rather throw Hodgson in the top six for a reasonable injury period than Mo that's for sure.
Frankly until I read the over the hill remark I thought you were discussing Hodgson. CoHo has shown almost nothing in his appearnaces with the big boys depends on his resume as a junior player, a 20 year old running all over 16 year olds. It's looking more and more like Duschene was CoHo ticket to success. To be honest your assesment of hockey players is skewd by your years of assertations that the Sedins were rubbish,( & I know you'll now back track on this to ) by giving your blessing to CoHo doesn't exatcly seal his future. I hope the kid does get it together but he has a long way to go, if he ever gets to centre the Ovechkin line or the WCE I'll acknowledge his "greatness" at that time, and I hope that day does come....but right now he's a junior with promise with little expeience. Just think as much as he's failed to produce or give highlights of what we can expect he hasn't actually been in a real game when the games count. I just hope he doesn't get embarassed, could set him back years or even seal his fate
cheers
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Fred wrote:
Frankly until I read the over the hill remark I thought you were discussing Hodgson. CoHo has shown almost nothing in his appearnaces with the big boys depends on his resume as a junior player, a 20 year old running all over 16 year olds. It's looking more and more like Duschene was CoHo ticket to success. To be honest your assesment of hockey players is skewd by your years of assertations that the Sedins were rubbish,( & I know you'll now back track on this to ) by giving your blessing to CoHo doesn't exatcly seal his future. I hope the kid does get it together but he has a long way to go, if he ever gets to centre the Ovechkin line or the WCE I'll acknowledge his "greatness" at that time, and I hope that day does come....but right now he's a junior with promise with little expeience. Just think as much as he's failed to produce or give highlights of what we can expect he hasn't actually been in a real game when the games count. I just hope he doesn't get embarassed, could set him back years or even seal his fate
Yeah... that makes sense. Hodgson played a year without Duschene in the OHL, and scored 4 less points than Duschene did in his rookie season (with Hodgson). Given that Hodgson was born in 1990 (a whopping 11 months before Duschene), his 20 year old season was the one he missed almost all of recovering from back surgery. Duschene had a career best 31 goals in Junior. Hodgson pumped in 40+ twice. Duschene had a 1.06 PPG in Junior, Hodgson 1.23. Furthermore, do you HONESTLY think Duschene makes the Canucks last season as a rookie? Not much of a chance, imo. With the C lineup we have currently (Hank, Kesler, Malhotra) he probably wouldn't play C for us this year. Don't underestimate the difference in team situation between the Canucks and the Avalanche.

That's not even getting into the CHL Player of the Year, World Junior tourney All-Star etc....

Just because Duschene did well on a pitiful (on paper) Avalanche roster that overachieved last season doens't mean Hodgson is a coattail riding bust. Injuries may have slowed his development, but get real. He's trying to crack a potential top-3 team with a Hart Trophy winner, a Selke finalist and one of the better faceoff/checking players in hockey lining up at center.

As far as Hodgson being "embarassed", I seriously doubt that happens. Guy is off the charts in character and hockey smarts. Let alone that he's been called a cry baby, whiner, band-aid, prima dona and apparently bust by fans that were so high on him, come to camp ready to get over injury and rumour and improved each pre-season game. The fact that the Canucks haven't already shipped him to Manitoba (like Schroeder) seems to indicate that the educated hockey minds that run this franchise see something in him the average fan does not.

Jesus, what a rant. Playing Hodgson in the minors isn't going to kill his value or development, nor does it signal he's a bust. He's a 20 year old blue-chip prospect trying to make one of the deepest offensive teams in hockey. That's it. I'd wager that on 80% of the other teams in the NHL he'd be given free reign to play lots, make mistakes and develop in the NHL.
hamiltoncanucks
CC Veteran

Post by hamiltoncanucks »

I second that with enthusiasm Island

great post
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fred wrote: Frankly until I read the over the hill remark I thought you were discussing Hodgson. CoHo has shown almost nothing in his appearnaces with the big boys depends on his resume as a junior player, a 20 year old running all over 16 year olds. It's looking more and more like Duschene was CoHo ticket to success. To be honest your assesment of hockey players is skewd by your years of assertations that the Sedins were rubbish,( & I know you'll now back track on this to ) by giving your blessing to CoHo doesn't exatcly seal his future. I hope the kid does get it together but he has a long way to go, if he ever gets to centre the Ovechkin line or the WCE I'll acknowledge his "greatness" at that time, and I hope that day does come....but right now he's a junior with promise with little expeience. Just think as much as he's failed to produce or give highlights of what we can expect he hasn't actually been in a real game when the games count. I just hope he doesn't get embarassed, could set him back years or even seal his fate
Glad to see you're not taking this too badly Fred. :lol:

You don't actually believe that diatribe you just typed do you ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”