BMO Redux

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Re: BMO Redux

Post by DonCherry4PM »

BingoTough wrote:I think you will find that he reported MORRISON IS AGAIN A CANUCK
Good Point. :lol:

I would tend to agree with those indicating that this is only a tryout. If he outplays the kids for 4th line C (as Island mentioned) then give him a spot (with the caveat that said spot remains contingent upon his play). Also, agree with LIG that salary should probably remain at or under 750k.

I do think that if he centres the 4th line we have one of the deepest centre line-ups in hockey.
Island Nucklehead wrote:I don't know why anyone questions Hodgson's motivation. He played hurt last training camp, with an injury that cost him most of the season and STILL isn't right. If playing that injured doesn't indicate the kid is serious I'm not sure what does...
What are you talking about, Island? We all know from AV's comments last year that the whole injury fiasco was just an excuse by a young immature player for not being able to make the team. :look:
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of Morrison on the team. The guy could easily be a superb addition to the 3rd line w/ Malhotra & Torres....he could be a major upgrade over Perrault on the 4th line plus he could also fill in for Burrows on the 2nd line while he's hurt. Either way it gives us more options, he brings skill & experience. If he earns a spot he'll be signed at a reasonable price and it certainly allows Schroeder not to be rushed and also takes pressure off of Hodgson. Holy shit we're starting to get some serious depth here!
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I think the big question is not 'can Morrison make the team'...

it should be: 'Can we afford to pay him more than 700k'...
Morrison at 700k beats anyone else on this team for 700k.
Do we have 700k cap space???

and I realize that in reality, he would be taking the spot of someone already making 500k, but I am not sure we have even 200k of extra cap space to sign him....
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Do we have 700k cap space???
Worry about that when we have to get under the cap on (I think) Oct 5th. If the kids outplay him, he'll be gone. If the kids don't then there may be room (cap wise). $700k is less than Hodgson.

I'm not a capologist, but my understanding is we need to have Salo and Burrows on the opening day roster in order to get cap relief. That means a player like BMo might not be signed until after opening day when we get relief for Burrows and Salo. Someone else may sign Mo before that, and if so, so be it. Either way I still like this move as it opens the door for a potentially good depth signing at a good price. Players 35+ are undervalued in this CBA, and if you get good value in this CBA you may as well take it.

In the end if we don't have the cap space, it doesn't matter. BMo came, put pressure on the kids to step up their game and didn't cost us much in the process.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

If this "is the year" then I think I give the nod to experience. If the team is in a tough position in a game 7 I think Mo gets the nod as the guy I would want. Right now CoHo is already behind the rest of the players so I suspect he starts in Winterpeg regardless. Cap Space Mo is half on what we pay Hodgson
cheers
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Well I'm all for bringing back B-Mo, I hope he's not brought back solely for nostalgia purposes. He had a good year last year, yet didn't end up with a contract. Obviously something scared teams away from him, be it injuries or whatnot. People are also playing a bit of revisionist history here. Morrison was a decent, but not great PKer. He had the work ethic, but his positioning is somewhat lacklustre and the moment he's hobbled in the slightest he doesn't have the speed to correct for it. If he's slowed down at all over the summer/last year it's possible he'd be more of a hamper than a boon to our penalty kill. I personally feel that experience is a bit overrated, there were a lot of quality young players in last year's playoffs, and just assuming that a player will cope with the added pressure better because they're older is silly. Claude Giroux and Ville Leino were both among Philly's best forwards, yet both of them are in their sophomore season, Hjarlmasson was great for Chicago even though it was his rookie season. I'm not saying that Hodgson or Schroeder is going to jump in here and set the world on fire, but their defensive ability can't instantly be ignored because they're younger than B-Mo.

However with all that said I do hope we sign Brendan, the team's not the same without him.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

Morrison will play on the team, Hodgson will play on the Moose, freeing up cap space.
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Credit where credit is due, Morrison had a decent game last night and if he continues to play well he will certainly make a strong case for a contract with the Canucks. Schaefer certainly isn't going to displace him, and none of the rookie competition looked to be at his level thus far.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Struth!
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

I'm not saying that Hodgson or Schroeder is going to jump in here and set the world on fire, but their defensive ability can't instantly be ignored because they're younger than B-Mo.
???? what defensive ability???? so far they are unproven at the NHL level.. Bmo is a good proven center.. and looked good in his last outing . This would be a good pick up for the Canucks .. the guy can fill in on any line , play PK or PP..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

???? what defensive ability???? so far they are unproven at the NHL level.. Bmo is a good proven center.. and looked good in his last outing . This would be a good pick up for the Canucks .. the guy can fill in on any line , play PK or PP..
Christ after years of watching Morrison suck defensively I'm more sure of Hodgson's NHL unproven D game (he was quite good at the junior level) than have to watch someone get behind Mo in the neutral zone and have him take a lazy hooking call. Three years of that was enough. Not to mention he's a health liability. Doubt he cracks camp. That Game 6 goal was a nice moment, but I'd like to continue to have a soft spot for him so, please don't bring him back.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

I like Bmo too and it sounds like hes playing fine so far,but he is too small and not tough enough for bottom 6(remember last year) the 3rd and 4th lines need to be tougher............remember?
Other than a depth player for the emminent injuries that will take place during a ridicuously long season,there is no place for him on the Canucks.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

dangler wrote:I like Bmo too and it sounds like hes playing fine so far,but he is too small and not tough enough for bottom 6(remember last year) the 3rd and 4th lines need to be tougher............remember?
With the additions of Torres and Malhotra, I think we can turn a blind eye to Mo's size if he were to make it.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Linden Is God wrote:
dangler wrote:I like Bmo too and it sounds like hes playing fine so far,but he is too small and not tough enough for bottom 6(remember last year) the 3rd and 4th lines need to be tougher............remember?
With the additions of Torres and Malhotra, I think we can turn a blind eye to Mo's size if he were to make it.
With Torres and Malhotra along with Glass, Rypien, Hordichuk, Oreskovich and Hanson, I think we have plenty of toughness on the bottom 6.
Morrison would be able to move up into the top 6 (center or wing) in case of injuries, making him an extremely versatile and valuable player - if we can sign him for the league minimum.
He's also very good on faceoffs (51.2% last year). A trait that is extremely valuable on all 4 lines.
The other often overlooked bonus Mo brings is his leadership skills. He will be able to help lead in the room and on the ice in difficult situations. You can never have too much leadership.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Mo is really looking good against the Ducks. Think his chances of making the team are improving?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel: